Honeymoon in Italy. Need Help with 10 Day Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are getting married soon, and our honeymoon will be in Italy. After reading through many, many tips from fodorites (did I spell that right?), I know I am definitely in the right place. Thanks, Pam!

Our destination cities are Venice, Florence, and Rome.
We will fly into Venice because others have suggested that it would be easier.

I'm searching for help on places to see, visit, eat, sleep, etc.
What should we pack? How do we dress? What are good ways to travel?
Should I get Rosetta Stone?
What and where do I get one of those temporary phones and/or calling cards?
How much should I expect to pay? Im afraid to get scammed.

I would like to put together an itinerary for late April and early May. Wedding plans have us stressed... My fiancé is more stressed since she is doing most of the decision making. Perhaps I can surprise her with a romantic and fun itinerary.

Help.

- Tran
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 06:04 PM

In May ithere will be mild temperatures and possibilities of rain. It's best to bring clothes that you can wear in layers so if it warms up you can take a layer off. you will do a lot of walking, so both of you should have some comfortable shoes that can cope with cobblestone streets in places. How to dress depends on what you plan to do. For your fiancée, she should know that many churches (which are often beautiful with magnificent art) don't allow women to enter if their shoulders and knees are not covered. The best way to keep your wardrobe down is to wear basic colors that all mix, and use bright accessories for variety, and for dress up if you go to a fancy restaurant. Colorful scarves are very useful. Don't bring expensive jewelry, so you don't get it stolen.

As for what to do, that depends on your interests. Art, architecture, historical sites, beautiful views? What else? You should buy a guide book that has decent maps. For newbies, Rick Steves does a good basic Italy book. That will tell you of things you might like to do. And the opening chapters have good info on what it is like to travel in Italy, the money, customs, some words to know for ordering meals, etc.

You should take the train between cities. You cannot drive into Venice, obviously: visitors are prohibited from driving in the historic center of Florence: and Rome traffic is too insane for a first-time traveler to deal with.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 06:08 PM

You don't need to buy Rosetta Stone. Go to Mydailyphraseitalian.com and download their 100 five-minute lessons and listen to them. That will give you the basic phrases you need to get around. Also, in the cities you are visiting many people speak English, or a least a little.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Charnees. The tip about the shoes is a lifesaver. I do not want to rub her feet after a long day of walking on the cobblestone streets.

I purchased the Fodor's Italy 2012, and I'm making the agenda right now. The map is a great tool as it gives me a bearing on where I should go and stay and go again... logistics.

Arrival: I plan on taking the vaporetto from the airport into Venice. I am concerned about the boat ride since she cannot stomach too much wavy action. How smooth is the boat ride from the airport normally?

Our interests are Arts, Historical Sites, and Beautiful Views. Where should we stay for convenience? Cannaregio, Castello, Dorsoduro, San Marco, San Polo, or Santa Croce?

Departure: the train seems to be the way to travel out of Venice. Where can I find the best rates and when should I purchase the tickets?

Regards, Tran
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 06:06 PM

Have fun on your honeymoon, tvtran504! May you enjoy the beautiful and romantic scenery in Italy.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 06:22 PM

First , let's get your terminolgoy straight. The term "vaporetto" is used to describe the the public boats that are local transportation, a waterbus, in and around the canals of Venice. The boat that goes to the airport is a similar type of boat, but is owned by a different company and is not called a vaporetto. It is known as the Alilaguna (the name of the company). Both are a relatively big boats that should not be subject to waves, plus the boats in the lagoon are not allowed to move all that quickly. A water taxi is a much smaller private boat you hire to take you directly to your desired location.

In any case, without knowing where your hotel is located, one cannot predict if the Alilaguna or a water taxi would be the best method to reach your hotel. There is also a land bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma, where one could connect to a vaporetto, or walk to your hotel if it were close enough. Best method depends on your hotel.

The San Marco neighborhood is closest to the most sights, but it also can be incredibly crowded with tourists and tourist shops. I like to stay in Dorsoduro, San Polo, or Santa Croce, to be relatively close, but less crazy with crowds. You can stay in any of the neighborhoods you mentioned, since Venice is quite small. You can walk from train station to Piazza San Marco in 30-40 minutes if you know the way and don't get lost.

Here is the official Italian railways website for schedules, fares, and purchasing:

http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html