Search

Honeymoon in Italy-My Second Trip..His First to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in Italy-My Second Trip..His First to Italy

Fodors Folks---

I travelled to Italy in 1999 and read this forum daily to create a trip that was just magnificent..I am back looking for advice on a 14 day trip in late September 2007..My soon to be husband has never been to Italy but has an interest in architecture and history and is adamant about seeing Rome, which I love the idea of seeing again since I spent only 4 days (one lost to jet lag)there the last time--I stayed in a lovely hotel in the Piazza del Popola and walked everywhere..Knowing what I know now, I would opt to stay in a more central location and look to plan 4-5 days in Rome inclusive of a day trip to Pompei for this trip and then perhaps move to the countryside..Umbria or Cinque Terre..we would use a car for Umbria and train for Cinque Terre..Since we are considering so much time in Rome, we are thinking the countryside would be a great way to decompress. My last trip to Italy encompassed Rome,Florence and hiking in Tuscany. Should we consider Venice or perhaps, the lake district? Your thoughts and suggestions for the second week of our trip would be greatly appreciated.

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 05:03 PM

Vicenza is a UNESCO designated World Heritage Site because of its Palladian architecture. You might consider the Veneto area (Vicenza, Asolo,Bassano del Grappa) for visiting countryside villas, and spend some time in Venice, departing from there.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Great idea--I will research the area and come back to you with questions--Thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 05:56 PM

When I was teaching, I took some of my art students to Italy. They had been all bubbly with excitment in Rome, Florence, the Amalfi Coast, etc. In Venice, they were so quiet, it was almost as if they had stopped breathing and I was a bit concerned that they weren't happy. Then one girl whispered, I'm coming here for my honeymoon. The others just nodded yes. That is the effect Venice can have.

This is not something you asked, but since your husband to be is so interested in architecture, I want to recommend these two books.

The first is: The Art of the Italian Renaissance Architecture - Sculpture - Painting - Drawing, edited by Rolf Toman. It is comprehensive without being dry. The photos are beautiful and the schematics are very good. Each section is written by an expert in that particular area. One thing it does very well is to explain the connections between works of art, buildings, etc. Example: it describes the construction and design of the Pantheon, then links it to Brunelleschi's Dome, then to St. Peters and on to modern times. It has great sections on architecture in Rome, Florence and Venice. I must own three hundred art books and this is my favorite one on Italy.

The second has been mentioned on this board before. It is Brunelleschi"s Dome by Ross King. It is a great read about how the dome was designed and built. It is entertaining as well because it gives a good look at life for artists and workers at that time in Florence. It has lots of stories about events that affected the outcome of various works of art and architecture.

Hope you find this useful. They would be great gifts.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where would your future husband like to go? (And congratulations on your upcoming wedding!)

It sounds like you're starting in Rome. Umbria is very easy to reach from Rome, and then Venice is easy to reach from Umbria. That would be my 2-week trip. Three hotels max. How you divide the days depends on your interests.

I suggest you train from Rome to wherever you'd like to pick up your rental car (Spoleto, Foligno, Perugia, for example) and then drive to your Umbria base. You can return the car to the same place and train to Venice from there.

My husband and I spent a week in Umbria in October 2006 and found the driving to be probably the easiest we've experienced in Italy. I recommend the Touring Club of Italy's "Umbria" guide for its excursions and excellent maps of the towns (particularly for the parking info and walking tours).

Have a great trip!!!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Sassafrass--

I have been told Venice is magical and I always dreamed of pairing it with a trip to the northern section of Italy. Given Lovisa's thoughts--I am looking in the area around Venice as a possible option. I will pick up the books you mention--Dave will love them. I would like to create a trip that is just the right balance of city,art,architecture,food, wine and the countryside--I will report back--Thank you!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Jean--

Dave's only request is that we experience Rome--he will love the ruins,the Vatican and just walking the streets. We travel to New Mexico annually and spend two weeks hiking about so I am concerned that too many cities will leave him a bit overwhelmed and yearning for the mountains. I like your suggestion of Umbria because from what I have read it is less travelled and touristy than Tuscany and the Cinque Terre. I was thinking of renting a place that we could use as home base. I will continue my research and let you know what we decide. Thank you!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:06 AM

You said "seeing Rome, which I love the idea of seeing again since I spent only 4 days"
Then laterquot;look to plan 4-5 days in Rome inclusive of a day trip to Pompei for this trip and then perhaps move to the countryside."
If you now understand that 4 days isn't a long time for Rome ,why give your soon-to-be husband only 3/4 ?
4 days almost always means 3 nights. I highly recommend that you add a day or two.
That said,please be cautious of the miles between some of the destinations you desire.
How long and where did you go in your previous trip to Tuscany?
I love the "lake district", but would not do that and CT.
If you fly out of Venice, consider adding Bellagio and passing on CT.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:13 AM
ira

Hi H,

Venice is certainly architecturally interesting and romantic. So is Florence.

I would split a week between Florence (3 days with a daytrip to Siena or somewhere) and 4 days in Venice.

Fly into Venice and out of Rome. (Usually better schedules).

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

j-

Schedule is still in flux --we will definitely stay 4 nights in Rome--the question that remains is what to do with the rest of the time--Looking into Umbria, Venice and since Dave is very interested in Pompei--south ---Once I complete research and I will report back!!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Ira--

Thanks! I am looking into flying into Venice and ending our trip in Rome--Will report back.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, heart123,

I'm thinking of having a special stamp made saying "Ira is right"!

Into Venice and out of Rome is a very good plan and you will never regret a splurge on the water taxi from the airport to your hotel - just as romantic as a gondola and about as expensive.

The only question then is what you do with the middle of your stay. If you stay in florence itself, you won't need a car. On the other hand, you may feel like a stay in the tuscan countryside, in which case you could pick up your car as you leave Venice, and return it before you hit Rome.

What a hard decision to have to make!

regards, ann
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Ann--
Ira was right---more flexibility..
It is a tough job but I am up to it especially with the help of this forum-Your note regarding the water taxi entrance into Venice from the airport made me smile --definitely romantic and much nicer view than from the train from the airport to Termini--thanks!

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 04:27 PM

Since your husband-to-be is very interested in Pompei, I'd suggest you plan on more time in the area than a day trip from Rome would provide. We spent most of one day exploring Pompei and several hours at the archeological museum in Naples on another day. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate on the day we planned to visit Vesuvius, and we still wish we had also gone to Herculanaeum.

Naples' prosperous past also provides for some beautiful architecture

As much as I love Umbria, I think you could have just as wonderful a 2-week honeymoon in Rome, Naples, Pompei and the Amafi Coast.

The choices are tough, but you'll have a wonderful time wherever you go...
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

jean-

I agree. Ann's note about how one arrives from the airport into Venice did make both of us take pause..so I am researching both options. Venice, countryside in Tuscany and Umbria to Rome or Rome, Pompei and the Amalfi coast. I must admit that I did not realize the distance between Rome and Pompei--I have all my Italy travel books out now and am measuring distances--we like to savor and experience places so 14 days of 14 towns/cities will not work--I am working on finding the balance. The good news is that with the euro and the cost of travel today I have a bit of room to make decisions--My last trip to Italy required that I make decisions almost a year in advance. My concern with the south of Italy is driving, a need for a command of the language and an aversion to touristy venues. This is his first time to Europe and he has chosen Italy as his introduction. Given my love for Dave and Italy, I am faced with creating the perfect journey. A daunting task which I must shake off because we all know perfect never happens and when it does--its boring. The best times in travel are when the unexpected presents itself--like your raft capsizing in white water or missing your train and ending up in a city that you didn't plan to see...I will keep you posted on my progress.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:40 PM

Forget the worries of "command of the language." On every trip we've taken to Italy, we've been amazed at the increasing knowledge of English just about everywhere. You should learn pronunciation and the general/polite basics and take a small phrase book.

Your "touristy venues" aversion is legitimate, but you'll miss some wonderous places if you skip them because of their popularity with tourists. Remember, you're a tourist too and these places all offer something that makes them popular destinations.

I've never driven south of Rome, so I can't comment on that. We've been able to get everywhere we wanted to go by public transportation and the occasional taxi or hired driver.

Unless you have a very generous budget, you should finalize your itinerary and make your hotel reservations as soon as possible. Many people "wing it" and travel without advance reservations, willing to accept whatever is available, but this is your honeymoon. I imagine you'd like your accommodations to be special.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

jean--

On my last trip the "Italians" advised me (always politely)that they spoke english when I attempted to speak Italian . The beauty is that I look like I live there so on my last trip I had people asking me for directions--a definite boost when you are are travelling alone -- I come from an eclectic tribe--the italian part cuts off the vowels so when I am in the north I am speaking a foreign language--In any event, I will work on getting the phrases into shape once I have an itinerary. I am working to create a guideline and then I will enlist the troops==a travel agent and my amex contact--I am lucky in that a budget especially for this instance is not an issue--I know that decisions must be made within the next 30-45 days and also recognize that just because someone tells me that this the best it may not mean we will experience the best--thats where the research becomes important-I read Rick Steves, Lonely Planet,Frommers in addition to this site to gain insight-This forum speaks to experience and it is invaluable in creating a magnificent trip. Your thoughts as well as the rest of the forum will insure that I create the trip we envision. I thank you for your advice and will report back on my progress. Your encouragement and advice is invaluable. Best-C
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:30 AM
ira

Hi H,

>I have all my Italy travel books out now and am measuring distances--

www.mappy.com and www.viamichelin.com will make it much easier for you.

Driving through Tuscany and Umbria makes sense.

Driving on the AC doesn't. Even in late Sept, the coast road is crowded, often clogged, and parking is hard to find.

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:36 PM

How nice not to have budget concerns. You are going to have an unforgettable trip. Happy Wedding! Buona Fortuna!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Fodorites--
I must say we are taken with the idea of coming into Venice so I have developed a preliminary itinerary for your comments and suggestions. I was surprised to find in this new age of airline travel that it is not so easy to find a direct flight to Venice despite the fact that we will leaving from a major NYC area airport (Newark Liberty) so we will get to Venice by noon planning for baggage/customs and transport. Our view of Venice will be an introduction at best. In reviewing the Amalfi Coast, I decided that Cinque Terre by train was a better option with a few days of the Tuscany/Umbria area by car (suggested cities have been noted and I will fill in homebase once I get feedback)with a close in Rome. Based upon my reading, I place CT first with idea that we work our way south to Orvieto, drop off car and take a train into Rome. I am thinking it might be better to eliminate Venice entirely and fly in to Milan to give us more time in Umbria. If we come into Rome, I suppose we could work our way up to Florence and train to CT from Florence. As previously stated, since we will be spending so much time in Rome a mixture of countryside is preferred.

The itinerary is as follows:

September 16 –Fly to Venice
September 17- Venice
September 18- Venice train to Cinque Terre?
September 19- Cinque Terre
September 20- Cinque Terre
September 21-Cinque Terre -car pick up-La Spezia?
September 23- Tuscany-San Gimignano/Siena
September 24- Umbria-Assisi/Orvieto
September 25-29 Rome
September 30 Depart from Rome

Thanks so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -