Honeymoon in Italy Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a 10-11 day trip to Italy for our honeymoon in October. Wanted to get some feed back before we booked anything. At first we were only going to do 2 locations (we had a very hectic trip to Japan last fall and didn't want to make that mistake on our honeymoon - wanted to be a bit more laid back), but since we have our hearts set on Cinque Terre, we figured we'd fly into Venice and do 2 nights there. Anywhere, here it is:

(Mon) Day 1, fly out red eye, arrive Day 2 in Venice.
(Tues) Day 2: evening in Venice
(Wed) Day 3: Venice
(Thurs) Day 4: Morning in Venice, train to CT
(Fri) Day 5: CT
(Sat) Day 6: CT
(Sun) Day 7: CT
(Mon) Day 8: morning in CT, train to Rome
(Tues) Day 9: Rome
(Wed) Day 10: Rome
(Thurs) Day 11: Rome
(Fri) Day 12: fly home

I don't love that we'll see in CT over the weekend, when it's likely to be packed, but I don't see another clear solution that doesn't involve us getting off a 14 hour flight and then taking a bus straight to CT. I'd rather take it easy, recover from jet lag. And if we try to put CT at the end of our trip, then we have a struggle to get back to the airport on the day we leave.

Thoughts? Things I'm not thinking of? See any complications?
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 10:18 AM

I'd be more concerned about the weather in October in CT than crowds.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I had wondered more about that, but it's early October and it seems lots of postings said weather turns dicey in late October, no?

Let's say that we decide to skip CT, which we wanted for a very relaxing and low key part of our trip - other suggestions for what we might sub in? We have no interest in renting a car, so has to be train adjacent.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 12:40 PM

Trains- book as early as possible for cheaper tickets - www.trenitalia.com book your own online.

Venice-Milan-Genoa-CT

then CT-La Spezia- Pisa- Rome - two routes: one along coast and one via Florence to high-speed route - both take about same time - coastal route more scenic IMO and can be cheaper.

For lots on Italian trains check www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and weww.budgeteuropetravel.com.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

@palenQ - is it too early to book those trains - I'm having trouble using the trenitalia website - for instance, when I search for my desired date from Venezia S. Lucia to Milano Centrale, nothing comes up.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 01:43 PM

The countryside is beautiful in October, but you would really need to rent a car to explore hilltowns in Umbria or Tuscany. Driving in the countryside is a joy! Any big reasons for not wanting to rent a car?
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 02:10 PM

Yeh I think it's a max of about 90 days out to book - try a dummy date 90 days or so from now to see what you should expect to pay and look at several dates and trains.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Wondering if anyone else has feedback on CT in early Oct?
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 08:04 AM

I was there once in mid October and the place was still plenty crowded but not overwhelming - weather should be OK at least was warm enough for us.

The chart for October shows rather nice weather temperature wise:

earlier in month warmer averages should be:

http://www.holiday-weather.com/cinqu...rages/october/
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 10:02 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
<<Wondering if anyone else has feedback on CT in early Oct?>>
I've spent 2 nights <i>(28-29 September)</i> in Monterosso in 2016, with good/warm weather <i>(hiked the Monterosso-Vernazza and Vernazza-Corniglia trails comfortably)</i> and manageable crowds.

<<is it too early to book those trains - I'm having trouble using the trenitalia website>>
Train tickets typically become available for sale 120 days in advance. See https://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm - lookup the private operator Italo fares too - often very competitive on the routes they ply.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 08:19 AM

If they're regional trains that mainly do Milan-Genoa-CT routes you may not find them and they should not be reserved but bought on day of travel at stations - no seat reservations even possible - dirt-cheap prices with no discounts for reserving. Only IC and faster trains benefit from possible discounted tickets.