Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Italy and Paris in mid Oct. Need advice on itinerary!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Ju
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby and i will be having our honeymoon in Italy (Rome / Florence / Venice) and Paris mid October! It's our very 1st time going to Europe. However i'm having abit of a problem with the itinerary. Our initial plan will be 3 nights each in each city. But now i'm thinking of taking 1 day out of florence and giving Paris 4 days.

Proposed itinerary:-
Rome: 3 days, 3 nights
Florence: 2.5 days, 2 nights
Venice: 3 days, 3 nights (flying out out to Paris via Ryanair) - Doing a Dolormites Tour
Paris: 3.5 days, 4 nights (flying in late and flying out late)

- With only 2.5days in Florence, how best can we cram a Cinque Terre Day Tour, Pisa trip (on our own) and some sightseeing (we have a 3-hour walking tour arranged by the agency, the rest are free and easy)?

We have not booked our train to Venice so i'm also wondering how late can we stay in Florence until. The Pisa trip should be on our last day.

- How long will a Pisa trip take?

With all due respect, i'm not sure Florence attracts us as much as other cities so i reckon we can afford the 1 day decrease.

- WIth 3 days in Venice, should we do a Dolotmites Tour (1 day)? I've researched on it and am just dying to go!

i need your expert advice! Thanks!

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 08:43 AM

You have 12 nights in Italy. With that schedule, you really don't have time for any daytrips, certainly not both the Cinque Terre and Pisa from Florence. I don't see how you think you have 2.5 days in Florence when you're only staying 2 nights. Or if, as you mentioned, you stay in Florence until late in the day on the last day to give you 2.5 days, then you certainly can't also have 3 days in Venice! It just doesn't work out that way.

You lose at least 1/2 day every time you move. Actually, since this is a honeymoon and Florence doesn't really interest you that much, I would do 4 nights each in Rome, Venice and Paris. This still only gives you 3.5 days in each place, only enough to scratch the surface (still with no daytrips).
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 08:47 AM

I hope to heaven all your hotels are arranged. Before you change your itinerary, do see if there is the possibility of change with your hotels. I just finished putting together an early October trip for clients on a budget and it was murder. Of course, with no real budget worries, the problem would be less.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 09:04 AM

If you only have 2 nights in Florence, then you don't have time for sidetrips! Your time will be absorbed by the Uffizi, the Accademia, Piti Palace, the Boboli Gardens, strolling the Ponte Vecchio, the Piazza Michelango, the Piazza della Signoria, the Duomo and San Miniato. Florence is truly wonderful -- I have traveled to most major European cities, but was so in love with Florence that I had my wedding there this past May! If you were to shave off a day or so from your itinerary, I would suggest shaving it off from Venice. I LOVE Venice and have stayed there 7 times, but it is a small city so you don't need as much time there in my opinion.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Ju
Original Poster

thanks for your all replies!

it seems that i have to re-think my sidetrips! I was discussing it with my hubby and it does seems cram. We might really be attempting the impossible!

SusanP: We will have 3 days 3 nights in Venice as we are flying out late in the evening to our next destination.

tuscanlifeedit: We booked all our hotels with a local travel agent (it is a free & easy package with airtickets and rail)and i've checked and yes, changes can still be made.

Once again, thanks!
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 11:32 AM

I would never trade a day in Florence for a day in Paris personally. I adore Florence and have yet to develop an affection for Paris after 5 visits there.

I agree that daytrips will make this already crowded itinerary a blur. With just three days in Venice, leave the Dolomites for another trip (though I prefer that area to Venice by a wide margin).

I also hope you have your hotels booked. We are leaving in 4 weeks and I booked hotels 9 months ago.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM

My husband and I spent 2 weeks in Rome, Florence and Venice and if I had to find a day for day-trips I'd shave a day off Venice. It's beautiful, but at least for us, that's all it was. Murano was the most choreographed tourist trap I've been to and after a couple days of photo-taking we were ready to leave. Since I haven't been to Paris I can't say whether to add a day there, but a day trip out of Florence into Tuscany in the fall would be amazing. I'd rent a car for a day (have the company drive you to the outskirts of town so you don't have to drive in Florence) and just explore. It's more beautiful than you can imagine.

Also, I know you didn't ask about this, but if you're interested in a 3-4 hour small group tour with a knowledgeable English speaking guide look into Scala Reale (www.rome.contexttravel.com). The tour groups are limited to 6 people and the guides are PhD students who are native English speakers (I trust that's your first language). We took a 4 hour tour of the Vatican with a British art history PhD and the tour felt like 15" it was so interesting - and we were burnt out on museums at that point. Through the same company we took a 3 hour tour of the Coliseum with an US-born archeologist who had just been issued a permit to conduct a dig there. Those two tours were highlights of our time in Rome and we tell anyone we know going there about the company.

Regardless of what you decide you're going to have a great time. I'm in the middle of planning a trip to Paris & northern Italy and I'm still a little jealous that you get to see the Statue of David and spend time in Rome. Enjoy!

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 12:30 PM
ira

Hi J,

You have a rather crammed schedule for only 12 nights.

Do you want a honeymoon or an expedition?

I suggest, 4-5 nights Rome, 3 nights Venice and 5-4 nights Paris.

Forget the side trips this visit.

If you can, see if you can fly www.myair.com from Venice VCE to Paris ORY instead of Treviso to Beauvais - much easier.

Enjoy your honeymoon.

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Ju
Original Poster

From all your responses, i'm mostly convinced that we really would be better off status quo and stick to the original itinerary. 3 days each in each city.

The reason when i'm thinking of tweaking it is because i'd love to go for the Dolomites Tour from Venice. But to be so, we would need to leave for Venice a day earlier (thus 1 day less in Florence). As much as i'm dying to visit the Dolomites, it might not be worth the hassle of tweaking the itinerary.

This might be our first and last time to Europe. Hailing from Singapore, Europe trips can cost quite abit and we're being extravagent here because it's our honeymoon (once in a lifetime!).

ira, you are right.. i do want a honeymoon where we both enjoy the place and spending time with each other
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 05:42 AM

Ju,
I understand the planning of a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip. About five years ago when I went to Beijing to visit a friend, I decided I might never get back to China and crammed in Shanghai, Chengdu, and even Lhasa, Tibet, in 12 days.

I was exhausted when I got back home (Chicago), but I've never gone back to China and am glad I saw what I saw.

That said, when I travel with my husband now, we always try to focus on one or two locations on a trip so we have time to relax, soak in the local culture, have some flexibility. I've been to all the cities you are proposing for your honeymoon, and they're all great. All I would suggest is that you realistically determine how much of your honeymoon will be spent in transit--in taxis, planes, trains, buses--and how much you'll actually get to spend exploring. If you're OK with that ratio, go for it. But that exercise usually helps me trim down my ambitious itineraries!

My thoughts on your cities: Italy is my favorite country, but Paris is my favorite city. Venice is romantic and beautiful, but more beautiful to me in June or July than in October, when it's much cooler and the square starts to flood. Florence is more pleasant in the fall than in the summer, but if that's less appealing to you, I'd get rid of it. Rome is crammed full of must-see sights, but is a bigger city with less of the ambiance of Venice/Florence (in my opinion.) And I could (have) spend an entire week in Paris.

I look forward to seeing what you decide and reading your trip report!
And congratulations!
melissa
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 06:33 AM

<i>This might be our first and last time to Europe...</i>

All the more reason, in my mind, to take time to savor the places you DO include. On my first trip to Europe we did way too much and my memories are a blur. Regretfully, when I think about that trip, my first thought is of being in the car instead of a beautiful cathedral or landscape.

I've since noticed that it's usually first timers who are most tempted by the urge to cram it all in (like we were). We've learned to slow down and really see our chosen destinations...and we enjoy it so much more!

Do Rome, Venice, Paris. We've flown MyAir from Venice to Paris Orly and I assure you it's a far better option than the Ryanair flight.

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do drop Pisa, and either stick to the plan or drop a whole city (cheese paring the days away will not work).
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Don't feel like you are missing out by skipping Pisa. I did a day drip to Pisa and thought it was a big waste of time. We basically took a few pictures in front of the tower and that was it. I agree with the other posters about not doing so many day trips, but if you feel you must day trip from Florence, there are many better options, such as Chianti and Siena.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 09:42 AM
ira

Hi J,

&gt;..i do want a honeymoon where we both enjoy the place and spending time with each other...

Then please consider my suggestion of limiting your itinerary to 4-5 nights Rome, 3 nights Venice and 5-4 nights Paris.

Keep in mind, that you will lose at least 1/2 day each time you change cities.

Even if you never go back, you will have had time to enjoy the 3 best cities in Europe (OK, I'm ready to be flamed.)

Happy honeymoon.

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Ju
Original Poster

thanks for all your valuable advice

Florence is a place that is included in the package we signed up for therefore it is not possible to do away with it. However after reading up more on it, we are getting more enthused in visiting Florence. After discussing with my hubby, we have agreed to not tweak that part of our itinerary. But.. i'd seriously consider giving Pisa a miss and just spend the day immersing ourselves in Florence! It sounds like a better plan to me.

I've also decided to do away with the Dolomites tour from Venice. Too ambitious and i'm guilty of the first-timers syndrome! *winks at JeanneB*

I'm toying with the idea of spending more time in Paris (4 days 4 nights) and Venice (2.5days 2 nights).

*Paris: Plan to visit Palace of Versailles

To Note:
- Arriving Venice: Late morning
- Departing Venice late: 8.30pm flight
- Arriving Paris late: 10.30pm
- Departing Paris late: 10+pm flight

How wise do you think this is?

I know it depends on personal preferece as some of you loves Paris better, while some prefers Venice. I just like the general feel of your opinions

Extending the trip is not possible as flights flying back home is fully booked.

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 02:07 AM

Why don't you post your revised itinerary.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 02:08 AM

Ooops: hit the button too soon.

Why don't you post your revised itinerary...I've lost track of what you're now proposing.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Ju
Original Poster

Sure will do!

Rome: 3 days
Florence: 3 days
Venice: 2.5 days 2 nights (Arrive late morning via train, depart 8.30pm flight)
Paris: 4days 4nights (Arrive 10.30pm, Depart 10.30pm flight back home)
*Plan to visit Palace of Versailles

We have already booked Ryanair flight. All we can do is change the departure date.

You reckon this is wise? 2.5 days in Venice will be ok / too short?

We do not plan to hit ALL tourist attractions but just enjoy what the place has to offer.

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:05 AM
ira

Hi J,

It really doesn't matter if you take 4 hr from Florence or 4 hr from Venice.

Enjoy your visit.