Honeymoon in Italy

Search

Honeymoon in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in Italy

We are planning a 12 day honeymoon to Italy in October 2005 and I'm looking for some advice on itinerary and any recommendations on how to make sure we keep this as a romantic trip more than a whirlwind tour.

I have been to Italy numerous times but my future husband has never been to Europe. We will be flying into Pisa and out of Rome.

I know we do not want to go to Venice or Milan on this trip. I have never been to Tuscany or Cinque Terra and think both sound interesting.

We are both active people and would are interested in doing some hiking and biking while we are on the trip.

Any advice would be appreciated! I want to make sure he really enjoys this trip so it will be easy to convince him to take another Eurpoean vacation in the future!!!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Ravello left the misses and me literally speechless.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:26 AM

Are you interested in Rome at all? We were there in April for our anniversary did Rome, Orvieto, Florence, CT, and Venice. Orvieto is very calm and beautiful. Great vineyard views and food. CT was lovely and it would not be beach weather but the hiking is wonderful and again the food is fantastic.

I would train from Pisa to CT. Two or three days is good there. You could go from there to Florence/Siena if you haven't been already and do other Tuscany day trips from there. Spend the day in Orvieto on your way to Rome and leave 2-3 days for Rome if you haven't seen it already.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:05 AM
ira

Hi M,

>... make sure we keep this as a romantic trip ....I know we do not want to go to Venice...<

Are you certain? To me, venice is one of the most romantic places on Earth.

Since you are coming into Pisa and leaving from Rome, I suggest a couple of nights in Lucca, train to the CT (abt 2 hr to Riomaggiore)for a couple of nights, train to Rome.

If you will be there the 1st week in Oct you might want to visit the Amalfi Coast.

Have you considered a week in Tuscany?

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Hi M. If you do not want to have a whirlwind tour, i suggest you these places : Volterra - S.Giminiano - Siena - Vinci - Firenze - Urbino - Gubbio - Assisi - Perugia - Todi - Orvieto - Roma. All these place are in Tuscany and are agreable and romantic. Not are too many km. and you can enjoy of the landscapes.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Last time I looked, Urbino was in the Marches; Assisi, Gubbio, Perugia and Todi in Umbria; and Rome in Lazio...
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Oops, forgot Orvieto: It's also in Umbria.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 01:32 PM

I agree with ira. Venice always revs up our romantic engines. Though Mrs. Fly probably wouldn't word it exactly that way.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 06:39 PM

MMM,

Have to agree with Ira & Rufus...romantic = Venice to me!

One thing that I notice on everyone's postings is that they say "12 day trip" and I always wonder, is that 12 days TOTAL, counting travelling time (which then really is TEN days) or is it 12 actual days in the country?

If you don't want to do a whirlwind trip, perfectly understandable, especially if it's directly following the planning, execution and stress of a wedding, I'd suggest limiting your places to two or three to really get a "feel" for a specific area.

Since you like hiking, Cinque Terre would be a good bet, a few days in Florence and then maybe some nice relaxing time in Tuscany at a romantic B&B.

Regards,

Melodie
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the great info! I'm embarassed that it has taken me this long to get back to the honeymoon planning!

Here's what the itinerary is looking like at the moment. I would love recommendations on places to stay in these locations.

Pisa - 1 night

CT - 2-3 nights not sure what town to use as a base

Florence - 2-3 nights

Tuscany - 4-5 nights. We haven't decided on any specific locations in Tuscany. We would be willing to switch hotels while there but hopefully not every night.

Then we will end the trip with 2-3 nights in Rome.

We would also be very interested in doing some biking while we are in Tuscany... Anyone out there who has done this?

Thanks!!!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:15 AM

My husband and I just got back from Rome-Amalfi-Sicily. If you have any interest in going somewhere out of the way - I would wholeheartedly recommend the Aeolian Islands. They're north of Italy and beautiful. Amalfi Coast is also pretty, and wouldn't be terribly touristy in October.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:21 AM
ira

Hi mmm,

Is there a particular reason that you are planning to stay a night in Pisa?

Since you will be in Tuscany, you could see Florence as one or two daytrips, and save on packing and unpacking.

If you take a night from Florence, a night from the CT and a night from Pisa, you could spend 3 nights in Venice.

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

We're flying into Pisa arriving around 4:30pm. I figured it would probably be easiest to just stay in Pisa that night and leave first thing in the morning and head to Cinque Terra.

I've had a friend recommend that we fit in the Amalfi Coast and see Sorrento/Capri/ and Positano. Is this trying to cram too much into a 12 day trip? I'm not sure about the travel time between Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast.

In terms of Venice, with no intention of offending anyone I'm not a big fan of Venice.

Thanks

MMM
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Pisa is actually quite close to the Cinque Terre. You could easily make it there that afternoon and spend your first night in Italy relaxing on the Riviera.

Incidentally, my favorite hotel in the CT region is Hotel Villa Steno in the old town part of Monterosso. I've looked inside several hotels in all the towns over 4 visits to the region and the Villa Steno stands out above the rest.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

TexasAggie thanks for the hotel info for CT!! How many days would you recommend spending in CT? Thanks again!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 07:50 AM

We normally spend 3 nights but then again, we really love the area and know a few locals we consider friends and like to spend time with them. I think 2 full days is about perfect for the first time visitor.

One day for the hike between the 5 towns. I like to start in Monterosso and work my way south... Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, and finally Riomaggiore. We stop in each town and browse or have a gelato or lunch so by the time we reach the last town, we have used up the good portion of a day.

Then split the time on your other day between the beach (Monterosso has the best beach) and either taking the ferry between the towns (for amazing views from the sea) or renting a kayak and paddling between the towns yourself!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:47 PM

We did the same trip almost last year for our honeymoon--but in the reverse. Rome 3 nights, then we drove to Tuscany. We stayed in San Gimiano for 3 nights and took day trips out from there. We then drove to Florence, and dropped the car off. We were there for 3 nights, and then took the train up to Santa Margarita. We stayed at the Lido Palace on the top floor, half the roof was our patio.
We took the train to CT for a day and hiked. I saw pictures from a friend who went there, and had my heart set on it. The day we hiked the 5 towns, it was overcast and cool. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise--we talked to many people who had been to the 5 villages before Rick Steves tour books made this a popular destination. Everyone said that they would not return being it is so crowded now. I am still happy that we went...it was beautiful, and the highlight of the trip! We also went to Portofino for a day. Our hotel in Santa MArgarita was a short walk to the train...so getting there was easy. We took the train out --and flew out of Genoa.

Best wishes on your upcoming wedding!