Honeymoon in Italy?

Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon in Italy?

My fiancee and I are planning to honeymoon in Italy, but we really don't want to be traveling the entire time. I would love to see Tuscany and we were also looking at the Amalfe Coast. Does anyone have advice for me? Would it be possible to do 5 days in each? Any advice on other romantic spots in Italy? Thanks for any and all information!
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:24 AM

We went to Sicily for our honeymoon & wouldn't have changed a thing. (I'd been before but my hubby hadn't.) At the start and end of the holiday we had 3 days each time at the San Domenico Palace in Taormina. The hotel is a converted monastery and quite grand. We had a large room with a terrace facing the sea. Taormina is touristy but in a nice way - the centre is largely pedestrian, full of flowers & nice restaurants, & it's in an unsurpassable location. For the middle 8 days we had a complete contrast, staying at the Hotel Raya on Panarea which is the smallest of the Aeolian islands. Nothing much to do there apart from relaxing, eating & drinking. Mind you, we went late April/early May _ it's supposed to get busy & very fashionable in the high season.
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:25 AM

My advice is to use the Search function for the many helpful posts from the likes of Bob the Navigator, Grinisa, Ira, Sea Urchin and others. There is a rich knowledge-base here at your fingertips!
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:29 AM
ira

Hi allison,

When?
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

We're going to be going in September 2005. We had looked at Taormina as well. I'd love to visit some vineyards and I know Sicily does offer that. Are there many vineyards on the Amalfi coast? I know, I'm all over the place! I'd love to visit everywhere!
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:37 AM
ira

Hi allison,

You have plenty of time to plan.

You could fly into Venice or Milan, do 2 nights in Venice, rent a car and visit Tuscany, drive to Sorrento, drop the car, stay on the AC for 3-5 days and fly out of Naples.

Weather in mid-Sept to mid-Oct would be very nice.
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:48 AM

I also enjoyed Naxos/Giardini, directly next to Taormina and not as pricey.

We visited Rapallo on the coast for a long weekend in September and it was lovely and romantic. From there we took daytrips to Genoa and La Spezia. We spent the previous week in Florence, my favorite city in Italy. For me, I would book a room with private terrace at the Antica Torre Tournabuoni - an intimate and special residence in Florence - and make that a home base for verturing out for daytrips. Florence is fairly small and you can easily walk to the train station for a day in Siena, Bologna. The I would end it with a few nights in Rome. I think Rome is a wonderful city and the hotel I would choose is the Grand Hotel de la Minerve at the Pantheon. The view from the rooftoop terrace is breathtaking!

I would you advise to choose one or two spots and not move around very much. The Tuscany countryside is lovely if you are looking for tranquility. We like cities for the options they offer.

Italy is romantic and wonderful and you have lots of great choices
Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:08 AM

How exciting! My husband and I had a 3 week honeymoon in Italy in 2003 - unforgettable! As for romantic spots, we loved Tuscany and especially enjoyed Positano and Capri. Truthfully, every place we visited was romantic!

We stayed at an agriturismo near Buonconvento south of Siena for 4 nights and toured around in a rental car visiting towns like Siena, Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano, etc, etc. We loved having a car as we could pull over for pictures, have impromptu picnics and dictate our timetable without relying on trains and buses.

I think Positano and Capri are so romantic - especially at night. It was fairly busy but we never felt either place was overly crowded. Capri at night, wandering the town and sitting in the piazza was lovely.

Have a wonderful honeymoon - my husband and I are planning to go back to Italy in 2005 - we just can't decide where!
Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:12 AM

Although Sicily has vineyards, if you really want tour them and sample wine, Tuscany, more specifically the Chianti region or Montalcino, would be the place to go.

Sure, you could do five days in each Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast, just be aware that you'll use up the better portion of a day getting from one to the other. Also on arrival day, you will have to fly into either Milan or Rome and if going to Tuscany first, drive or train there. If going to the Amalfi Coast first, the fastest way would be to take a connecting flight to Naples and then hire a driver to take you to the AC. Taormina would mean a connecting flight from either Milan or Rome to Catania and then a drive or train to Taormina.

While September of 2005 seems a long way off, I wouldn't wait until the last minute to book hotels in either Tuscany or on the Amalfi Coast. September is still high season in Italy and with the Amalfi Coast especially, it is crowded until the end of the month. If you have your heart set on a specific hotel like the Sirenuse in Positano, book it as soon as possible.