Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Italy (2016) - Jan end to Feb 1st week - Italy (and Spain?)

Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Friends,

I am from India. Some might say its a little early, yet some might say otherwise, but my fiancee and I are in the planning phase for our honeymoon in early 2016, right after our wedding in Jan 2016!

We were interested in Europe, and considering the time of the year, zeroed in on Italy (and Spain maybe). Plus from what I have researched, Italy is great at any time of the year, hands down. But our honeymoon is in early February which is a concern weather-wise to us.

Planned Honeymoon dates are Jan 28ish to Feb 7ish, a couple of days give or take, which makes it ~10+2 days of travel to and fro India to Italy

Have researched quite a bit and planned an itinerary as follows -
Day 1 - Calcutta to Rome
Day 2&3 - Rome stay
Day 4 - Travel from Rome to Positano (via Naples), Stay in Positano for later half of the day
Day 5 & half of Day 6 - Stay in Positano
Day 6 second half - Positano to Florence via ne of the fast Frecce trains from Naples (reach Florence by night)
Day 7 & 8 - Florence stay (maybe Pisa)
Day 9 morning - Florence to Venice via fast train n rest of the day in Venice
Day 10 - Venice, or at night come back to Rome via fast train to catch flight to India next day
Day 11 - Flight from Rome back to Calcutta

I know it looks a bit hectic for a honeymoon, but we love travelling around. So, Friends and experts alike, please help us with this itinerary and also
a) Wanted to fit in Barcelona (a bit of Spain), but out of number of days. Can it be modified?
b) Will the weather be condusive for going around these cities? We dont want to end up all day indoors
c) Does the number of days at each place mentioned, do justice to these places?

Please comment or help in any other way to make our upcoming honeymoon memorable! Thanks a ton everybody!
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 11:02 AM

The Amalfi coast in February is not a good idea. Look at the typical weather at this time of yea--and also know that a lot of places will be shuttered.
You could postpone the trip until spring or just enjoy all the cities have to offer.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 11:18 AM

I agree with Yorkshire--the Amalfi coast will be dead in February, no possibility of strolling to visit shops, cafes, etc.--most will be closed.

Also, look carefully at the map--you would lose a lot of time returning from Positano to Naples (by ferry? or by bus to Sorrento and then the Circumvesuviana?) and then catching a Freccia fast train to Rome.

The same thought occurs about your travel from Rome up to Venice and then back to Rome in order to fly home. Why not examine an open-jaw ticket? Fly into Rome, then go up the main train line, ending in Venice. Not only is Florence on the way, but you could stop in one or more small Italian towns to get a different feeling. Orvieto is a lovely town, on the direct Rome-Florence line.

It appears that this will be your first trip to Italy, so the "big three" attractions--Rome, Florence, Venice--have an abundance of marvels to occupy fully your ten days. Actually, you will barely scratch the surface of what these cities have to offer.

But almost any reasonable Italian itinerary should be a treat.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks yorkshire for the reply.

True that Amalfi, romantic as it may be, might have some places closed. But does the whole scene there remain silent and closed? Any other alternatives to the two days planned in Amalfi?

Thanks again..
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 11:26 AM

I have not visited the AC in February, and nothing I have ever read about it has convinced me that it would be a good idea when there are so many alternatives that will not suffer from bad weather and off-season doldrums in February.
I would add those days to your existing itinerary, and plan an anniversary trip (in spring or early fall) to the AC.
If you fly round trip to Rome, and if you arrive early enough, you can immediately take a train to Florence. That way, you can put all of your Rome days together at the end of the trip.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks EYWandBTV!

Yes, first trip to Italy for me at least. My fiancee has been to Venice.

Open Jaw ticket is an option. I factored in the back-to-Rome part as a Round ticket from Rome will save us more than what it would take otherwise. However, will weigh this option

Saw a piece about Orvieto in one of the Rick Steves' "Italy's Hill Towns" episodes and liked it, so might give it a go!

a) How will the weather be in the big 3 cities?
b) Any scene of fitting Barcelona into the picture?

Thanks again!

Thanks again..!
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 11:36 AM

I suggest you rearrange your trip slightly to eliminate one hotel change and give you at least two nights in a row in each location:

Day 1 - Calcutta to Rome; travel immediately to Venice
Day 2 - Venice
Day 3 - Travel from Venice to Florence
Day 4 - Florence
Day 5 - Florence (maybe Pisa)
Day 6 - travel from Florence to Positano
Day 7 - Positano
Day 8 - Postano to Rome
Day 9 - Rome
Day 10 - Rome

As mentioned, I'd be concerned about the weather and open places in Postiano in February. If you must include that area, perhaps base in Soreento to find more places open and hire a driver or take the bus to visit Positano.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot ellenem!

Nothing is a must at this stage of planning, and we'd rather be roaming around in places with better weather if the scene near Amalfi Coast is that bad during early February. Alternatives to Positano leg are most welcome.

Also is Pisa a full day trip from Florence?

Thanks again mate!
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 01:05 PM

Hi,

I live in Italy and while I wouldn't book a place to stay on the Amafli coast in February, I would certainly go to Rome and Sorrento, from where you can take a bus to Positano to have lunch if it is a nice day. Yes, you might get rain and a storm, but if the sun is shining, it can be very pleasant and you can even get a bus to have lunch in Positano. This the time of year they harvest lemons on the Amalfi coast.

Just about every place else in Italy north of Rome will be much colder, with the possibility of snow. There is lots to do indoors, however,

If you don't mind taking a flight during your honeymoon, than you could include Barcelona, but then obviously you need to be more selective about where you go in Italy.

How long you spend in Pisa is up to you. Some people like to spend time inside the churches and museums. Others just come to take a picture of the tower. If you are coming from Flroence, it is about an hour by train.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 01:11 PM

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posit...415355?fref=nf

https://www.walksofitaly.com/blog/am...alfi-in-winter

https://imlulu5.wordpress.com/2014/0...omment-page-1/
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 03:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've stayed in Sorrento in February for a week, and when it's sunny, you can go to Amalfi or Capri. when it rains you can go to Pompeii and Naples, so it's not a bad base whatever the weather is like.

however, I still don't really see the point of going there for such a short period of time, as it's quite a fag to get there for the sake of only one day. Much easier and more sensible, dare I say at that time of year, is to do exactly what others have suggested - from Rome go straight to Venice, then work your way back to Rome, something like this:

Day 1 - Calcutta to Rome; travel immediately to Venice
Day 2 - Venice
Day 3 - Venice
Day 4 - train to Florence, arrive at lunchtime.
Day 5 - Florence
Day 6 - Florence (maybe day trip to Pisa or Siena or Bologna?
)Day 7 - Florence
Day 8 - train to Rome arriving lunchtime
Day 9 - Rome
Day 10 - Rome

Next time you could aim to visit in the spring or early summer when the Amalfi and/or the Lakes would be lovely places to be.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 06:01 PM

How long is the flight from Calcutta to Rome -- and how much do you want to avoid cold weather?

I personally would think twice about getting off a very long plane flight from India and then spending another 5 hours to get to Venice in February. It is usually quite cold in Venice in February. If you feel like you can go further your first day, you might consider going to Florence -- which could also be very cold, but at least you will not be totally exhausted when you arrive. However, you might prefer to simply stay in Rome and get some sleep when you land.

I am not pushing you to go south of Rome to the seaside, but I will point out that it doesn't take any longer to get there than it does to get to Venice. Some people would say they don't see the point of going to Venice if you are only going to spend 2 nights there, or Florence or wherever.

You mentioned weather concerns in your first post so if you picked Italy and Spain because you thought they would have warmer weather, then it is warmer in Rome and south of Rome than it is north of there, if it matters to you.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot sandralist and annhig for explaining in details!

So, majority are against Amalfi during that time of the year, although Sorrento is manageable. But I think we might as well leave out the AC during this trip then.

@sandralist - A one-stop flight from Kolkata, which mostly we will end up availing would be 18-19 hours long. See now that we have zeroed in on Italy, that too for the first time, Venice-Florence-Rome is kinda must, as EYWandBTV figured out. Still I hope the weather scene in these places is better than the even colder Viennas and Pragues of Europe, places which were there in contention in our planning phase.

If we are leaving out the Amalfi, maybe we could add one day to the trip and travel to Barcelona for a couple of days. Of course the tickets would have to be open jaw then...
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 12:20 AM

Your tickets should be open jaw anyway, even if you only travel in Italy.