Honeymoon in Italy

Jun 12th, 2019, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon in Italy

Hi European experts

Me and my wife are planning to visit Italy for honeymoon in month of October. We are flying to Rome on 20 October 2019 and flying back from Venice on 1st November, so we have 11 days excluding flying days.

Our tentative itinerary is like:
2 days Rome
3-4 days Amalfi, Sorrento and places around there
Either cinque Terre or lake Como for 2 days
A day or 2 in Venice

It is our first time in Italy and we are happy to make any alterations, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance ����

Last edited by moderator9; Jun 12th, 2019 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Removed Trip Report Tag
Jun 12th, 2019, 06:38 AM

The itinerary you've suggested is too much traveling for just eleven days... and it seems like you'll be seeing a lot picturesque seascapes (with a lot of trains and transfers in-between) and not experiencing the history or culture of Italy.
2 days Rome
You'll arrived jet-lagged, so you leave yourself only one full day to explore a major European city filled with historic landmarks.

3-4 days Amalfi, Sorrento and places around there
I suspect not much activity on the Sorrento peninsula at the end of October... but pretty seascapes.

Either cinque Terre or lake Como for 2 days
Have you looked at a map? The Cinque Terre is not ideally located for a transfer *from* the Amalfi Coast and a transfer *to* Venice.

A day or 2 in Venice
Bear in mind that one night in Venice give you no time at all. You'd arrive one afternoon and fly out the next morning.

I'd go with the classic itinerary ... Rome + Florence + Venice. This will be a much more efficient use of your time and you'll be able to see and experience a lot along the way.
Jun 12th, 2019, 06:47 AM

I would want more time in Venice. It is terribly romantic and perfect for a honeymoon. I'd want to have at least 3-4 days there. "A day or 2" just doesn't give you enough time to do it justice.

10 days is very short, I would do Rome, Venice, and pick only one more of all the other places you mentioned.
Jun 12th, 2019, 07:30 AM

11 days suggests three stops top.
Use the train not the car, very much more comfortable, faster and you go city centre to city centre

Rome 3 nights

Como/Verona/Padua/Soave 4 nights (loads of nice places to visit easy to get to on the train or stay somewhere nice in Como and take ferries about etc.)

Venice 3 nights

Done
Jun 12th, 2019, 01:17 PM

Trains and ferries will be great- car a complete hassle in every place you are going. www.trenitalia.com and www.italotreno.com are 2 competing railway systems running similar trains over same tracks and into same stations. www.seat61.com has great advice about booking own tickets- general advice - www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.
Jun 13th, 2019, 06:25 AM

Yes, I finally see Padua mentioned somewhere! It's a beautiful little town in Italy, often overlooked by tourists, so you can get the real feel of genuine Italy.
Note, I am not saying that other cities are less worthy a visit
Jun 13th, 2019, 12:16 PM

Congratulations on your pending nuptials! Italy as a honeymoon destination is brilliant - I did the same thing years ago and have very fond memories. We’ve returned to Italy a few times over the years and explored many parts of their culinary wonderland.

Suggesting an itinerary for Italy is tricky without knowing what you want to do as a traveler. Do you like to focus on food, sights, museums? Do you want to have a “kick your feet up and relax” trip, or a go-go-go visit, or something in between? Regardless, I’ll offer up some suggestions based on my own Rome & Amalfi coast honeymoon as well as visits over the past 20 years since that initial trip.

For context, my wife and I tend to lean food first, then sights, and wandering to get lost(ish). We broke up our trip into go-go-go in Rome and then slowed it down a bit in Sorrento and kicked our feet up for large chunks of time soaking in the coast.

We few into Rome, stayed for 4 or 5 days (can’t remember exactly how many), then took trains down to Sorrento for another 5 days. Things to think about or consider in your plan:
  • Rome was fantastic and we could have stayed for another week and been fully entertained. It’s a fantastic city with lots to see and experience. I’d suggest you line up what you want to explore, factor in a day for jet lag, and plan on 3-4 days.
  • The trip to Sorrento was easily done by train, but when we did it there was no way to go directly to Sorrento from Rome. Not a big deal, but I’d suggest you figure out those logistics before you go. I believe our transfer was in Naples.
  • Sorrento is beautiful and a great place to relax. Great choice for a honeymoon. While we were there we did a day trip that I’d highly recommend. We hired a driver and explored some of the towns along the Amalfi coast (Positano, Amalfi, Ravello); also made a stop for a couple hours at Pompei, which was stunning to explore.
  • Make sure you try limoncello along the coast, and the seafood is not to be missed.

Your allotment of 1 or 2 days for Venice is plenty. Someone else on this thread has suggested some good day trips from Venice, which is what I would do if you’re going to commit to a few days and then realize you need something else to do or it’s overrun and you want to escape the crowds. I’ll throw my vote in for a day trip by train to Verona; I recently stayed in Verona for 3 nights and did day trips to Padua and Vicenza. I liked Verona the best.

The lakes region is breathtaking and it would be my vote over Cinque Terre. If you’re going to do the Amalfi Coast, the CT will probably be a let down, even if you get lucky and don’t get slammed with crowds. Don’t get me wrong, CT is beautiful, but relative to your overall plan I would suggest the lakes area instead. If you do go to the CT, one thing to consider on timing, probably even in October, is to dodge the big cruise ships and check what days the La Spezia port doesn’t have any of the monster ships, which will translate into all of the CT being overrun... but maybe that’s not as much of a factor in October... I don’t know, but worth considering.

If the logistics of getting to the lakes region becomes too time consuming or complicated once you start laying it out on a map, you might consider the Emilia-Romagna area (Modena, Parma, Bologna...), especially if you’re food driven like me. We recently returned from the area for the first time and were blown away by the regional food specialties. Do some basic research and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Regardless of your final itinerary, you’ve made a great choice to honeymoon in Italy. The people, food, and sights are fantastic!
Jun 16th, 2019, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou very much for the suggestion you have given. It is really helpful and we are now very clear on our plan to visit Italy. I really appreciate it.
Jun 16th, 2019, 08:26 AM

Have a terrific trip and congratulations!
Jun 16th, 2019, 10:52 PM

Definitely visit lake Como!!! It's so beautiful over there.
Jun 16th, 2019, 11:09 PM

Absolutely Choose for Venice, a romantic stay in a romantic city!