Sending passport data to hotel in Italy 3 months before a trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our booked hotel in Italy is requesting our passport numbers in April for a July trip. We are apprehensive about doing this so far in advance.
It this a concern?
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 12:31 PM

Italian hotels have to register their guests with the police by law. Usually they take your passports on arrival...I havent been asked to give info I advance but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen I guess.

What are you apprehensive about exactly?
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 12:32 PM
J62

Not sure why they want it, but I would not have a concern sending my pp # to a hotel.

Not sure what they could do with it that would harm me in any way.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 12:36 PM

Well, I couldn't think of a single thing anyone could do with just a passport number, so I googled:

http://www.rushmypassport.com/blog/2...-new-passport/

As I suspected, seems if you have the actual passport in hand, shouldn't be a problem.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 01:08 PM

Airlines all ask for it, anyway, nowadays, and I've had other apartments or hotels ask for it from me (not in Italy). From what I've heard, Italy kind be kind of backwards about some things regarding passports and hotels, such as making you give it to them and them keeping it, rather than just copying your number down on the spot.

But airlines ask for it when you book, and I imagine it is just easier to ask for it when you book rather than them having to keep track of every guest and ask them later on some specified date before arrival. That would be a pain and it seems easier just to ask for it when you book.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 01:43 PM

I didn't do it in advance, but I left our passport copies with the front desk clerk in Venice - what can they do? Double-check with US government we are not criminals?

It's not a credit card or checking account number!
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Dayenu, the hotels have to fill out a form every day to turn over to the local PD where the hotel in Italy is located. That is how sometimes the Italian PD track down criminals. I have always given my passport to the hotel when I arrive and got it back within a hour or so but I have never had a request to send the information months in advance.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 02:18 PM

L'Italy, so you and I are not criminals, so far so good
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 05:55 PM
kit

I'm not sure what they would do with it either, but like you, it would strike me as an odd request. I'm sure it's just really eager bookkeeping by the hotel. If they ask again, just tell them you don't have the number (its in your safety deposit box) and that you'll present it when you arrive, like usual.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 05:59 PM

I know that they have to register you with the local PD, and normally they take your passport for a few minutes when you check into the hotel, but what I can't figure out is why it would be of benefit to anyone to give that information to the PD months in advance of the arrival of a client. Surely people cancel reservations - doesn't the hotel then have to get back to the PD and report that that client isn't coming?

I don't get it, but I also see no harm in anyone having just a passport number when the actual passport is physically in the possession of the owner.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 06:10 PM

It is conceivable that you might not even have a passport yet for a trip in July, so how could this request ever be enforced? I would not send it--seems a bit odd to me. (In more than 25 trips to Italy, handing over the passport on arrival to complete the visitor registration has been fine. I've never been asked for the number before arrival.)
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 06:27 PM

I like kit's suggestion: it's in the safety deposit box and I'll be glad to give it to you upon arrival.

I agree that I can't think of any bad thing they might do with it, but in at least 50 bookings in Italy, I've never been asked for a pp # in advance.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 02:43 AM

Like many of the above posters, I can't ever remember an Italian hotel asking for such information in advance.

Did you get this request by e-mail? Are you sure it is actually from the hotel?

If you are sure it is from the hotel, are you sure it is a request for your passport information? Perhaps your hotel owner doesn't really speak English and is asking for something else, like your flight information.

Anyway, if you really like the hotel, call them and ask what's up.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 02:47 AM

PS: In case you are not aware, there are certain forms of hacking that allow scamsters to uncover the fact you've made a booking with this hotel, and then mimic the hotel's e-mail address to send you a request for a response about something, revealing personal information. When you reply to the "hotel", your e-mail will go to the scamsters.

Don't know if this is what is happening here, but you are right to be apprehensive.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 02:56 AM

There are other ways to transfer that information... write a letter, or perhaps even use this clever invention - claimed by Italians for one of their own:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telefono

Peter
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 03:02 AM

Peter,

can you think of any legitimate reason why a hotel would want passport information in advance? Would you send it -- even by mail or telephone? I wouldn't.

When a hotel registers you with the local police upon arrival, the police will only accept a xerox copy of your passport with your picture. The police also don't accept anything in advance of your arrival.

This is a very odd request and I would either find another hotel or call to get an explanation.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 03:06 AM

Also, to others:

Criminals can do a lot with your passport number, especially if they can also connect it to your credit card number and your e-mail address. Even more so if the request for "passport information" means a request for one's birth date, place of birth, etc.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 07:44 AM

Although it's quite common, especially among owners who live at some distance from the property, for those renting out apartments and villas etc to do so, I've no recollection of a hotel ever having asked for our passport numbers beforehand... nor, I'm pretty sure, have I heard of such a thing until now?

(Most systems probably use a scan rather than an actual xerox these days?)

Usually their main concern is that clients don't either skip without paying, or fail to appear at all - and I guess they may feel that gives them a little extra security?

If there's no undisclosed factor (like it being one of the Rome hotels immediate adjacent to Parliament, or in the Pope's back garden), I'd contact them and ask why they needed it... and only comply if the explanation seemed reasonable!

Might help to know just a little more about the exact circumstances? And perhaps whether it's a place that doesn't require a deposit when booking... but wants to be able to follow up with a no-show charge?

Peter