Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Ireland In May - suggestions

Old May 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, sorry if I posted this twice. I now have more information, but still need a lot of help...thanks!

Ok so we are getting married in December but decided to wait and take our honeymoon in the middle of May next year. More expensive but I guess we will have to start saving money now ;-) We are spending 11 days there.

We are going from the U.S. to LONDON ( he wants a big plane) then...

London to Shannon? or London to Dublin?
Should we do Dublin at all? Is it just another busy city like London etc..just dont know if we should spend a night there or get busy going to the south and west of Ireland... we are going to rent a car.

So if you guys say Dublin- i was thinking 1 night there.

Then we want to head to KENMARE for 2 days.
We were thinking staying at Sheen Falls for 2 nights.
Maybe not if there is something nice and cheaper? other suggestions of places to stay?
Also any suggestion where we should stop on our way to Kenmare or what should we do during the day when we are there?

Then heading to DINGLE... and staying 3 nights at Heaton's? One of the days going to see the Cliffs of Moher...other places things to see during our days in Dingle? Sights in Dingle or surrounding cities we should see?

Then heading to either ASHFORD CASTLE or DROMOLAND CASTLE, which one to stay for 2 nights? We want to play golf and maybe FLY FISHING. They look to be owned by the same people/company...so not sure what the difference is between the two?

Finally HEAD back to DUBLIN or SHANNON (wherever we started from) for 1 more night. Then wake up go to AIRPORT head home.

So with ALL of that info...does this sound possible?
Am I leaving anything out that is a must see for first time Ireland people.. I just have no idea where to start or how to pick and choose where to go and stay. I know we want to play Golf/ see Castles / and go to many Pubs. We dont want anything too Touristy or too crowded even though it is in May. We would rather hang with locals in a pub/ shop local stores then go see museums/ cheap trinkets/ or God forbid another Hard Rock Cafe!

We will have a car. We like to stay at somewhat nice hotels. It doesnt have to be the ritz ( wont be able to afford it) Hostels are out...B&B's are good but as long as they dont look or smell like a 110 year old Lady's house who has 12 cats running around (ha ha) seriously I have a smell thing..its wierd! I know.

Sorry it is soooo long but any advice would be great!

Old May 20th, 2008, 03:17 PM

cassiesmu writes: " ... he wants a big plane ... " Last time I flew EWR-DUB it was a Continental 767. Continental flys 757's to Shannon. We've also flown Aer Lingus to Shannon: I think they fly Airbus 340.

For a Honeymoon Dromoland Castle is a good choice: in County Clare, not far from Shannon airport. Ennis, Clare's largest City has its Spring Music Festival (Fleadh Nua) the week of May 26th.

There's a little-known 9-hole Links golf course that's affordable just 2km from Miltown Malbay at Spanish Point. Name courses like Old Head or Ballybunion or Lahinch will get into your pockets; Spanish Point is mot in that category; and it's fun to play!
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM

In my opinion, Dublin is a special city. It is not like London. However, if you are just going to spend one night there coming and going, I would just fly right to Shannon and fly out of there as well.

You mention going to the Cliffs of Moher from Dingle. You'd be better off going from Dromoland. By the way, I'd avise Dromoland over Ashford. With your short time, it is closer to Shannon and you could spend your last night there and go right to the airport.

If you fly into Shannon, you could drive to Dingle for 3 nights, go on to Kenmare for 4 nights and back to Dromoland for the last three nights.

Or some other combination of nights, but it only involves three moves. Can't give you advice on fishing and golf, but am sure others can.
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:23 AM

irishface writes: "You mention going to the Cliffs of Moher from Dingle. You'd be better off going from Dromoland. By the way, I'd avise Dromoland over Ashford. With your short time, it is closer to Shannon and you could spend your last night there and go right to the airport."

I disagree with the idea to spend the last night of a Honeymoon in Ireland at Dromoland! Your flight back to the U.S. will probably be late AM or early PM; so you would have to check-in around 10:00 AM. That cuts into the time you have to enjoy Dromoland's gardens and have a leisurely breakfast on the Terrace. Don't short change yourselves on a once-in-a-lifetime experience: your Honeymoon memories.

Also, a stay at Dromoland Castle is very expensive. You will have paid for it so you should enjoy it to the fullest.

The Fleadh Nua in Ennis should have ended by the time you get there, so accomodations shouldn't be a problem. I recommend Ennis for your last night. Cruise's Pub, at the foot of Abbey Street, has Trad Irish Music every night; and it's likely that you'll find a pick-up group playing there in the afternoon.
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much...this helps out a lot...I am sure i will be asking more specific questions later, but for now this is great!
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:42 AM

Ned and cassie, I guess I wasn't clear when I said to spend the last night at Dromoland. I said earlier to spend the last 3-4 nights at Dromoland and just mentioned last night as opposed to moving to a hotel next to Shannon. Dromoland, if my memory and map serve me, is quite close to Shannon.

Ned's thought of flying directly to Shannon is a great idea. Saves a lot of flight time. Nonstop means less chance of luggage gone astray. Also there is not the worry of missing connections.

Cassie, have a wonderful trip.
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

I like the idea of spending the last nights in Dromoland, ending our trip on a good note (even if we are poor after the stay there..ha ha)

I was wondering if we did decide to go from:
Shannon to Dingle to Kenmare to Dromoland...
If there was a town anyone could suggest in between Kenmare and Dromoland that we could stay for a couple of days.

We might have 2 more days to spare if we dont do Dublin...and instead of adding on to other places we might do one more town on our drive from Kenmare to Dromoland?

Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:41 AM

We did a similar trip 10 day trip last Sept. We did Doolin/Dingle/Killarney/Kinsale. I know most posters here love to stay in Kenmare but our favorite stay was actually about 5 minutes outside of Killarney at Loch Lein Country House in Fossa. There are special rates offered on the Irelandyes.com website. We spent 3 nights there--enjoying golf, driving the Ring of Kerry (hiking on Valentia Island and having lunch outside in Portmagee), walking around the grounds at Muckross, Jaunting cart(halfway) and then walking back at the Gap of Dunloe. We didn't have enough time to enjoy the trails in Killarney National Park--could have stayed longer.

Loch Lein is a wonderful, affordable lodge that overlooks a lake--not right on the lake, a large grassy lot and a small dirt road are between Loch Lein and the lake. The rooms are very large, the bathrooms are luxurious and the breakfasts are great. The entire buffet is set with with Nicholas Mosse serving pieces and a hot breakfast is also served. Our room looked out across the lake.

We enjoyed our complimentary bottle of wine at our happy hour outside on their lawn.

Travelers complain about Killarney being touristy but since we traveled in Sept., it didn't seem that way to us. In fact we didn't encounter one tour bus on the entire Ring of Kerry. We also really enjoyed our dinner at Bricin in Killarney--wonderful boxty, pasta and desserts.

The best part of Loch Lein House were the pleasant and helpful managers, Paul and Annette. Paul was the one who recommended we visit Valentia Island and lunch at Portmagee--really added to our Ring of Kerry day.

I think you would love it there.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:50 AM

Forgot to add that large planes fly to Ireland. If you land in Shannon, you can drive to the Cliffs of Moher the first day you are there.

We stayed in Doolin the first night, enjoyed the Cliffs of Moher and the men golfed at Lahinch. There was a group on our plane that had a tee time at Lahinch at noon. Wish we could have stayed one more night in Doolin to enjoy the evening music--we couldn't stay awake.

On that first day, we were also able to make a quick stop in Ennis to pick up a $10 SIM card for the unlocked quad band phone I bought on ebay for $20( a tip I got here on Fodors)and stop at the bank right across the street.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

Also, if we arent going till MAY of next year (2009)
we want to use miles for the flights.

When do you guys suggest we book everything?

Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:04 AM

Book your flights now if you want to use frequent flier miles.

I book my lodging as soon as my air is scheduled. Just always check their cancellation policies.

We usually buy trip cancellation/interruption insurance if we have a sizable amount of non refundable fees or if the medical evacuation/coverage costs are excessive.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

another question...
should we stay an extra day in Kenmare or an extra day in Galway?
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Kenmare, Galway, or Dromoland castle an extra night?