Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   honeymoon in greek islands or tahiti (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/honeymoon-in-greek-islands-or-tahiti-253267/)

Mary Aug 26th, 2002 04:07 PM

honeymoon in greek islands or tahiti

I'm trying to plan our honeymoon for early June-<BR>trying to decide between Greek Islands/Amalfi Coast/and Tahiti<BR>Any suggestions?<BR>Can I do Greece and Italy together?<BR>Looking to relax on the beach, nice people, nice accomodations, good scenery...

Shar Aug 27th, 2002 07:23 AM

Have been to Tahiti or rather the island of Moorea several years ago. The actual island of Tahiti was very crowded and loud back then so could only imagine what it is like today but Moorea was wonderful. If (when) we mkae a return trip I would go to Bora Bora and Moorea but NEVER Tahiti. However, I am judging Tahiti by the city of Papaette(?) and perhaps that is not fair. My husband said it reminded him of Saigon and I thought it was like a spruced up Tijuana Mexico!<BR>We have only been to one Gk island - and it was lovely but it was only for a day stop on our cruise. I have a friend who has travelled quite a lot as she worked the cruise lines and loved Santorini and would go back anytime.

Mary Aug 27th, 2002 09:12 AM

How was the Greek Island in comparison to Moorea?<BR>If we went to Tahiti we would go to Bora Bora and Moorea..I have heard similar things about the actual island of Tahiti

stacy Aug 27th, 2002 10:26 AM

We've only done cruises in both the Greek Islands and Tahiti, so I'm not really familiar with the Greek beaches, but the atmosphere is very different, so it probably depends on what you're looking for. The beach hotels in Bora Bora and Moorea (and even on the island of Tahity, away from Papeete) are more like resort hotels, and there didn't seem to be too many restaurants, etc., away from the hotels, so that you would probably spend most of your time lounging on the beach, and eating in hotel restaurants. The beaches and the scenery are beautiful, and the snorkeling is world class, if you're interested in that sort of thing. It's everybody's dream of a Polynesian paradise. (:-) )<BR><BR>On Santorini (which is gorgeous - I would love to go back and just spend some time in one of the hotels up on the cliffs), there is probably more nightlife outside the hotel, at least in the main town of Thera, but if your hotel is up at one of the ends of the island, you're going to need a car or taxi (or a local bus) to take advantage of it, and it does get crowded when the cruise ships are in. Mykonos is a very popular vacation spot, and the main town there has lots of restaurants and shops, so it is also very busy and lively (and crowded!) <BR><BR>It seems to me that if you want a laid-back beach vacation, Tahiti is a wonderful place, and if you want a vacation with some beach time and some cafe and sightseeing time, then Santorini might be more interesting. I really like them both - I wish I had your dilemma!

maria Aug 27th, 2002 10:49 AM

Hi Mary,<BR><BR>We know a couple that just got back from their honeymoon in Greece and they told me that although they have never been Tahiti, they would chose Tahiti over Greece. Italy may be a nice choice, but they would not reccommend the islands of Greece. They said that the beaches were not that nice. Rocky, not sandy. Not the clear blue, white sand you see in pictures of Tahiti. Greeks were very abrupt and not the friendly kind you would like to encounter during your honeymoon. Hope this helps and have a wonderful time.

April Aug 27th, 2002 07:38 PM

My husband and I always say that we're glad we didn't spend our honeymoon in Greece.

gail Aug 27th, 2002 07:47 PM

My vote is for Tahiti although do not stay there go to Bora Bora or Moorea like previous poster mentioned. The only thing is that it is quite expensive (I do not know what your budget is). <BR>I was not impressed with Greek Isles. I did not like the Greeks.<BR>Another idea would be perhaps going to the Adriatic to Croatia. It is very picturesque. Very reasonable. People are nice as they are still trying to rebuild tourism. The Adriatic is gorgeous although beaches wont be like those in the South Pacific.<BR>Good luck on your plans.

Leigh Aug 27th, 2002 09:28 PM

I got married on the island of Moorea. Stunning!! We stayed at the Sofitel which has the most beautiful beach with overwater bungalow. The Chapel is gorgeous and I would recommend having a Tahitian ceremony with plumeria lei's and being blessed in probaly the prettiest place in the world! It is expensive but you can do package deals either with Air New Zealand or Tahiti Nui out of LAX. Trust me you will love it and your husband too! Do not stay in Tahiti only during transfers to either Moorea or Bora Bora..Pleae let us know which island you choose. <BR>Thanks.......

Angela Aug 28th, 2002 02:58 AM

There most certainly are sandy beaches in Greece, you just have to do research as to where they are. Mykonos had plenty, Corfu in the Northwest part of the island did. The scenery is so stunning in a place like Santorini that you don't care that the beach is all black lava rocks... it is truly amazing! I just combined a trip to Corfu with 3 days in Venice. I took a 24 hour big, beautiful boat to Venice. Early June would be a great time for any Greek island. Much less crowded. Paxos was a charming small island, and you would take a boat to antipaxos for gourgeous beaches that are only accessible by boat. I have always found the greeks nice as well.

Mia Aug 28th, 2002 06:25 PM

My question to you...what kind of food do you like? Do you like ancient history and have a thing for reading about the ancient greek times? If so, go to Greece. You need to decide what kind of cultural vibe you want. There are a zillion greek islands to use from, each with their own 'vibe'. You will have more of a 'travel adventure' in Greece than in Tahiti. So again, it depends on what you want. Read up on the cultures, and make your decision based on what environment attracts you the most, as well as how much adventure that you want.

zeda Aug 30th, 2002 11:12 AM

rough life? wish i had your problems....my honeymooon was niagra falls, new york...what fun...we're divorced now but i blame it on the horrible honeymoon...

irini Aug 31st, 2002 01:18 AM

Santorini is something different that you will not find in any other place.<BR>It has a character of its' own and will capture your breath. The cliff, the sunset, the places!!!!<BR>In early June is not crowded yet and you will enjoy your honeymoon.<BR>A very good hotel is Studio Artemis.<BR>It is in Megalochori- 4km from Fira the main town and 2-3km from the most famous beaches of the island- very quiet, clean, the hospitality is perfect and is built right on the caldera. Many couples book the hotel and let the owner organise their wedding there. The pool is perfect and the view magical. If you want to see it visit: www.artemistudio.com<BR>

Shar Sep 3rd, 2002 07:58 PM

Mary: Hard to compare Mykanos with Moorea as we only had a day stop on a cruise but overall I would choose Tahiti over Greece any day for a honeymoon. Greece has wonderful history and ancient ruins, etc but Tahiti has the romance and the crystal clear waters, the thatched huts over the water - what a honeymoon. It was expensive when we went and I'm sure very expensive now but it is lovely, romantic, warm (can get hot depending on when you go - we went in May and it was pretty warm) Shar

meg Sep 4th, 2002 12:46 AM

I'm amazed that people dismiss the whole of Greece on the basis of a brief stop off on a cruise!! Corfu and Crete have lovely beaches, the local people could not be more charming, the food is wonderful and sitting in a beach taverna with the sun setting pink on the blue water, then tripping home by the light of the fireflies could not be MORE romantic.

Tiffany Sep 5th, 2002 09:49 AM

GREECE! GREECE! GREECE!! I couldn't tell you enough times how incredibly beautiful Greece is!!! I've been to Santorini for a wedding and also Mykonos. As a matter of fact, I have a another friend getting married in Crete this weekend. I unfortunately couldn't go because I'm saving for my own honeymoon.<BR><BR>Anyway, Santorini was breathtaking and as far as the beached, it's really not all that bad. You're in Greece! And the surroundings on the beach are enough to make up for the rocky beaches.<BR><BR>Mykonos does have sand beaches and it's equally as beautiful and much much fun!!!

bobbie Sep 5th, 2002 10:11 AM

My vote is for Greece, not Athens, one day or two there are more than enough, and then onto Santorini. Most stunning views, great food, friendly people, with lively evening fun. But more importantly you can also fly over to Istanbul and that is a real treat, an experience you'll never forget!

mpprh Sep 5th, 2002 01:16 PM

Hi<BR><BR>Both Tahiti and Greece have ancient cultural remains.<BR><BR>What is the weather like in Tahiti in June ?<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR><BR>

pat Sep 5th, 2002 01:49 PM

Been to both and prefer Moorea/Bora bora. Depends on where you live, too. We live on the west coast,so going to Greece is one long trip! Easier for us to go to French Polynesia. Next time, it`s the Cook Islands for us. I think you will have fun in either place, so you can`t go wrong.

Lynn Oct 7th, 2002 08:14 AM

My husband and I honeymooned in French Polynesia. We stayed in Moorea and Bora Bora for 5 days each, and Tahiti for 2 days. The next time we go, we're skipping Tahiti entirely. Moorea and Bora Bora are beautiful. In Bora Bora, I recommend an overwater bungalow. Although we had one in Moorea also, I probably wouldn't do it the next time. There are some restaurants not in the hotels that I would also recommend - we did quite a bit of research before we went. It is very expensive there, however. I also recommend learning a little french - it's not entirely necessary, just helpful. We flew Air Tahiti Nui - business class - from LAX. What a treat!