After some deliberation, my fiancé and I decided to plan our honeymoon for a week in Greece! We orginally thought Italy- and still want to go badly (1st anniversary perhaps)- but I can't get Greece out of my mind and am dying to go. We will have about 6 nights/7 days during the first week of September (departing on or around August 28th and then flying to Israel on or around September 4th). With flying time, we expect about a week long vacation.
A coworker has family in Greece, and has given us some helpful jumping off points:
1. If we see Athens, leave it to the end, rather than beginning of the trip, since we have to go for the airport
2. Local favorites are the Sporades islands, Naxos, Paros and Milos
We are very food centric, and really just want to get to know the country and culture, in what limited time we have. Our main interests are beautiful beaches, being outdoors, eating the great local food, and relaxing. We do want to see historic sites, but don't necessarily want to spend every minute in lines- so we'd also love some insider knowledge on things to do and eat off the beaten path.
Please let me know if you have advice on how to start planning our itinerary. My thoughts (roughly) so far were to fly into Athens, transfer to Santorini for 2 nights, ferry to one of the other islands for a more relaxing, beach side stay (those clear blue waters and white sands are so amazing), and end with 1-2 nights in Athens before flying out. All of this is flexible, but having a more cohesive idea of what is realistic would be great.
Thanks and happy new year!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 My France Vacation
- 2 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 3 London vacation rental agency
- 4 Is Bologna ok for a 3 months stsy?
- 5 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 6 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 7 Greece during Easter week or August
- 8 Iceland driving in March
- 9 Northern Spain road trip
- 10 Manchester Christmas Markets 2017
- 11 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 12 Help with Spain itinerary
- 13 More time in Belgium or Germany?
- 14 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 15 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 16 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 17 Where to stay in Naples?
- 18 Driving
- 19 Malaga Christmas lights
- 20 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 21 10 days in Cologne Munich Switzerland
- 22 Car hire from Venice to Croatia and bosnia
- 23 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 24 Provence and Cote de Azure
- 25 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.