Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Honeymoon in Greece (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/honeymoon-in-greece-602581/)

Marcio_Br Mar 26th, 2006 02:22 PM

Honeymoon in Greece

We are getting married in June and we though of going to Greece for 10 days and possibly Venice for 5 more.

However, I started to do some research and it seems that every guide suggests travelling frenetically through the islands.

I sure would love to go to every island, but checking in and out of hotels every 2 days of my honeymoon doesn't sound very nice.

Is that really the best way to Greece? If so, that is fine, I will visit on some other opportunity and pass it for my honeymoon. (Any other suggestions for Honeymoon in June?)

If it is not, I would like some suggestions on where to stay and possibly do day-trips without having to be always on the move.

brotherleelove2004 Mar 26th, 2006 02:59 PM

Of course it's not the best way to experience Greece. You're better off finding one or two great locations and spending your time relaxing and exploring your surroundings. Move on when you feel like it, or stay put and enjoy where you are. The freedom to choose is part of the fun.

I recommend the most beautiful, timeless and romantic village of Oia on the island of Santorini. Perfect for a honeymoon. You can take day trips to some of the nearby islands in just a couple of hours by ferry, also part of the fun of the Greek Islands.

moschoula Mar 27th, 2006 01:05 AM

Hi!

Santorini is the best choice for summer holidays! A lot of clubs, restaurants, and bars are there for you! Also it is a very romantic island! You can arrange your wedding in Santorini!! If you need any information about Santorini I suggest you to visit this website:

www.santorini-kamari.gr

Have fun!!
Moschoula

wug Mar 27th, 2006 01:25 PM

Greece is the ideal place for a honeymoon! In fact, I honeymooned there seven years ago. My first trip to Greece was right out of college. On the boat to Mykonos I met a couple who was on there honeymoon. That day I decided Greece was where I wanted to go for mine too. Well, many years later I did just that and it was perfect.

I agree with Brotherleelove, Oia on Santorini is one of the places to go! I'd been there before but it was even extra special on my honeymoon. We're heading back to Greece this June and Oia is one of our stops.

There are many places to see in Greece but, running around frenetically is not the way to go. Pick two to three islands, depending on how much time you have, and enjoy. Greece is a place to relax and unwind. That's not to say that you can't find plenty to do, it's just not a place to do it frenetically. That's just not the Greek way.

Naxos or Paros is a good place to go and be able to do day trips from. There are day trips to Mykonos where you can visit Delos, You can day trip to Antiparos, day trip to Naxos or Paros (depending on which one you're staying on) and also day trip to Ios.

Another idea is Hydra or Poros. They are both close to the Peloponnese where there are many ancient sites to visit, Mycanae, Epidarus, Corinth to name a few. I've been to both, spending more time on Hydra and I LOVE Hydra. Poros was just a quick day trip so I can't say that much about it.

So, my advice is to visit Oia, then pick another island and go from there. You just need to decide if you want more ancient sites or more beach life. Enjoy!

Marcio_Br Mar 27th, 2006 01:28 PM

Tnx to you both for your replies.

I am definitely convinced of going there now, though I am uneasy about how to distribute my time between the cities.

Most people seem to spend just a single day in Athens. Is it really so unworthy in relation to the islands?

Also, Santorini seems to be considered a must-see in this forum, but some people recommend just a couple of days in Santorini.

Out of my 10 days, I was thinking of at least 2 for historical sightseeing in Athens.

The other 8, I am unsure of either sticking to Santorini and making day-trips to nearby islands (Naxos, Paxos and/or los) or just splitting between 4 days in Santorini and 4 days in Crete with no side trips at all.

What would you say about that? I understand that it depends a bit on my tastes, but we like a bit of it all, beaches, culture, nightlife, dinning. We are from Brazil, so we don't have the chance to get there often, but we don't want to be in a rush in a honeymoon.

Another doubt. As we are going to be there from mid to late june, should we worry about booking hotels desperately or is it still off-peak?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Marcio_Br Mar 27th, 2006 02:05 PM

Thank you also, Wug, for your reply. I guess you replied just while I was writing the previous message.

I guess I will try to cover more of the historical side on Athens, as it is sort of "in the way".

So, Oia being a sure bet, I just don't know whether to stay there and do the day-trips or go all the way to Crete. Don't confuse me more by adding new options like Hidra or Poros!! :o)

Hopefully, brotherleelove, being the master of Greek Islands, will help me decide on that! :o)

brotherleelove2004 Mar 27th, 2006 02:21 PM

Hi Marcio-

I agree, go to Santorini and stay until the spirit moves you. Day trips to Ios and Naxos are easy.

wug Mar 27th, 2006 06:34 PM

Hee Hee, ok let's drop Hydra and Poros! Keep it simple.

Crete is a wonderful island. It's very large so you need to pick and choose what you want to see there but, Santorini and Crete would make a great honeymoon. Add Venice and it's even better... We added Paris to the end of ours. It's just hard for me to go over the pond without stoppinig in Paris! :-)

I was on Crete years ago during the first part of July. We didn't have reservations and had no problem finding places to stay. Oia, on the other hand, might be a problem, especially if you really want to be on the caldera.. which I recommend since it's your honeymoon. I don't know your budget but there is a wide range of choices as far as price in Oia. You can definitely find something on Santorini if you don't have reservations, you just can't be choosy about location.

brotherleelove2004 Mar 27th, 2006 06:54 PM

Oia won't be a problem in June, there will be plenty of rooms available in every price range.