Reload this Page >

HONEYMOON IN FIGI OR GREECE?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 06:51 AM
Tammy

Hello, thanks for responding. We are happily planning our honeymoon and are going back and forth between Figi and Greece. Please tell us which you think would be the most romantic and adventourous. We don't really want to party just lots of romance rest and adventure, we do love the thought of Greece's ancient history. Once you state your choice please say why and where. Thank you. Oh we're getting married June 10th, 2001. I wonder what each place's weather will be like. Thanks for your help.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 07:01 AM
Paulo

Mainland Greece (specially Athens) should be pretty hot and dry. Greek islands, though also hot, should be quite freshened by the breeze. IMO a/c is required. <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 07:34 AM
topper

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 07:50 PM
carolyn

Definitely Greece! Fiji has experienced some political unrest recently and it may not be the best place for a honeymoon until the situation is resolved. (http://www.fiji.nu/) I went to Greece last fall and would highly recommend the island of Crete, western end of the island...great beaches and not too many tourists. A very relaxing area with alot of history in Chania and Heraklion.

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 06:32 AM
Tammy

Thank you for yoor reply's. Carolyn, can you suggest a good place to stay on Crete where we do not have to push the beds together? There are many parts of Greece we have dreamed of visiting but the inability to get a bed that doesn't have to be pushed alongside another one is making us crazy. Now we are happy to just see if anything larger than a double bed exsists in Greece and go from there. After all this is our Honeymoon. I really am interested in all of your reply's so please keep them coming. THANK YOU

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 08:13 AM
John

Tammy, the weather in Fiji in June is likely to be around 80°F in the day, and around 70°F in the evenings, and it's getting into the drier part of the year there. (Some islands or sides of islands wetter than others.) The political issues in Fiji have calmed down - the coup leaders in jail - and many of the resorts are cutting rates to get the tourists back. <BR> <BR>Fiji is unbelievably beautiful and the Fijian people the friendliest folks we've ever met, anywhere. Comparing Fiji and Greece is unfair to both; there are certainly no historical references in Fiji to compare with Greece, but there are no beaches, coral reefs, or South Pacific sunsets in Greece to compare with Fiji. Tough call. Oh, and congratulations! <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 06:47 AM
carolyn

There are lots of great places to stay in Chania and also just outside. We stayed in Stalos, which was a $3 cab/5 minute ride to downtown Chania (buses also run regularly and cost about $1 and take about 10-15 minutes). We stayed in a nice villa apartment which had a double bed, although I can't guarantee every place will have one. We booked through the internet with Freelance Holdidays and were very happy with the service and would highly recommend dealing with this company. There are alot of choices for you here, if you're not looking for a Here's the website: http://www.freelance-holidays.co.uk/crete/crete01.html

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 07:02 AM
Martha

The Greek islands are legendary for honeymooners. The scenery is great and the weather perfect that time of year. I would recommend the island of Santorini. I met some honeymooners there this past June who recommended the Atlantis villas in Oia. Santorini is well known for its scenery and sunsets. Check out the Travel Channel website for a 360 degree view of Santorini and the Parthenon. Have fun either way. <BR>Martha <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 10:46 AM
Paciano Diaz

Never been to FIGI. I would strongly recommend the Greek Isles. Athens was not bad for a first time but for Honeymoon, definitely the Greek Isles, especially the Island of Santorini.We spent a month honeymooning, 2 week cruise and two weeks in Italy. Saw lots in Monte Carlo,Euphesus, Istanbul, Athens,Barcelona,Lisbon, Rome, Florence, Venice, Siena. I must say that Santorini has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 11:12 AM
engteacher

It's FIJI not FIGI.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 12:20 PM
Tammy

Hi, thank you very much for the great information. I love the ability to talk with fellow travelers. Please forgive my silence: my wonderful mother in love has passed away at only 59. This sad & unexpected tragedy has been very hard to deal with. My fiancee lost 3 weeks from work and we don't know if we will be postponing our wedding so he has time for our honeymoon. If we do postpone it will be to August and I know Greece is to be avoided in Aug. Time will tell, as will his boss. Thank you again for your wonderful responses.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 11:24 AM
KS

Hi Tammy- <BR> <BR>My husband I just returned from Greece last week. We went to Athens, Mykonos and Santorini. With out a doubt it was the best trip we have ever taken. <BR> <BR>In Sept. 98 we honeymooned in Fiji(Yasawa Island Resort). We had a great honeymoon however I think the Greek islands are more romantic and beautiful (ideal for a honeymoon). Fiji is also going through some political unrest right now.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 12:10 PM
Art

Tammy, I'm so sorry for your loss. I recently lost some very close family members, so I can emphasize with you. I wish you both well. <BR>Art <BR>

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 06:58 AM
J

Tammy, <BR> <BR>We just got back from Santorini and Crete where we celebrated our anniversary. I would highly recommend Perivolas in Oia, located right next door to the Atlantis Hotel. It was one of the most romantic and memorable places we have ever stayed. I walked over to Atlantis (to see if it warranted the Fodor's *) and thought that Perivolas is much more intimate and has a better pool. <BR> <BR>We stayed in Chania on Crete on the outskirts of town. The place to stay is Casa Delfino right on the old town area -- but you have to book at least 3 months in advance. We were a little disappointed in Chania, since it's a much larger town than we expected and we were hoping for a more quaint experience. Keep in mind though that Chania followed our stay at Perivolas -- a tough act to follow! I would only stay there 2 nighs and then stay in Elounda Beach for a more beach. The Porto Elounda, the sister property of the Elounda Mare, is supposed to be outstanding. <BR> <BR>Hope that helps. Also, skip the Samaria Gorge walk on Crete. The gorge is beautiful but we had to share the walk with 1500 other people.