Honeymoon in Europe - Ideas???

Jan 26th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon in Europe - Ideas???

My fiance and I are thinking about taking our honeymoon in Europe at the end of November. We would have eight days total, including travel time (Sun.-Sun.).

I know that this is a very broad question, but does anyone have any suggestions on where to go? Neither one of us have been to Europe before, and we were thinking Spain, Italy or Greece.

With only about a week, I was thinking about doing two close-by locations (probably in the same country). Somewhere where we can fly into a major city and then take a train to another destination for most of the trip - but still have a night or two in the main city, either at the beginning or end of the trip.

Sorry if that sounds confusing - something like flying into Athens, spending the first night there, going to Santorini for most of the week, and then spending the last night back in Athens.

Any other suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance!
Jan 26th, 2011, 09:56 AM

I would try to stick to somewhere you can get a direct flight from. Check your closest airport's options. I think Athens + island would be better when you have more time and in a different month. I think Barcelona would be a good bet for modestly better weather. Congrats and good luck!
Jan 26th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Barcelona is a great city. You can easily spend a week there, and there are many day trips you can take as well.

Another would be Venice (one of the most romantic places on earth) and Rome. Paris is also wonderful.
Jan 26th, 2011, 10:52 AM

I would avoid coastal areas (e.g. Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre) and islands (e.g. Santorini or any other Greek island) in November.

I think flying to Rome and taking the train to Venice or Florence (or vice versa) would be wonderful. However, I would recommend splitting your time more evenly since there is a lot to see in each location.
Jan 26th, 2011, 11:29 AM

When we were in Santorini the flights had all been cancelled for 2 days because of the high/dangerous winds. No cruise ships and I think several of the ferries were too. This was Oct.of 2010...Winter will have approached the islands. Florence was cold in Oct. also and it poured there and in Cinque Terre. Since you only have a week it would be prudent to pick one area and day trip via train, bus or tour. Paris might be great for you as there is so-o-o much to do and see.Rome,Barcelona also. The Greek Islands, although super lovely, might cause a problem for connecting with your return flights. If you fly out on Sun. you will get there(where ever) on Monday..And you will also lose the last Sun. as you must get to the airport etc.so basically you will have 5 days.I agree with posters above!!! But whatever, you will should love any of the afore mentioned places. Have a great time!!!
Jan 26th, 2011, 12:22 PM

Rome and Florence would be lovely. See if you can fly into Rome and out of Florence. I love Greece but wouldn't recommend it for this trip as it's not the right time of the year for Greek Islands.
Jan 26th, 2011, 01:01 PM

I'd vote for a combination of Madrid and Seville. You can certainly fly to Madrid easily enough and then take the AVE (Spain's high speed rail) to Seville, getting you there in a few hours. A week would be the perfect amount of time to enjoy the two cities, with even the opportunity to do a day trip from one of the locations. Seville is my favorite Spanish city and would be lovely for a romantic honeymoon, but Madrid is equally as rewarding.
Good luck!

http://traveltalesfromtheredheadedtraveler.blogspot.com
(My travel writing blog!)
Jan 26th, 2011, 04:40 PM

What are your interests and what do you want to see do. Anyplace in Europe can be chilly in November and many will be quite cold. Days are short and many sights are on shortened winter schedules.

Knowing what your interests - and budget are - would be a help.
Jan 26th, 2011, 06:27 PM

Pick a city with lots to do indoors. What do you like to do indoors?