Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lavaux Vineyards - half day itinerary help?

Old Sep 12th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Would anyone be able to assist me in a half day Lavaux Vineyard itinerary? I am thinking we have lunch in L'Ermitage in Montreux, and go from there (so start at around 2pm). Is the best way to get a bus/train into the heart of the vineyard region and walk around and then bus/train back to Montreux? We are happy to walk up to 10/15km but I understand the vineyards are around 10km from Montreux so best to get public transport to them.

I, to be honest, do not really know where the region is (ie where the vineyards and cellars are) nor do I know how the cellar doors work (are the open for tastings, if so are they free or do you pay?). Any advice or websites you can point me to would be great.

Many thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

just found the Montreux Riviera website (http://www.montreuxriviera.com) - which answers a lot of my questions!
I would still love to hear your opinions on the best way to get there, and any experiences you have had or any other helpful websites.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 09:56 PM

Hi keedm002,

I've been able to visit the vineyards about once a year for the past few years, and here are my suggestions --

As you see now, there are myriad villages along the Lavaux that produce wine; really you could stop at any one of them and visit. There are good train/bus connections to all of them. I like to take a train to the town or village, do some walking, then take a ferry back to Montreux, or the reverse.

One of my favorite destinations is Lutry, which I like because it's such a pretty little town. I would actually go there early and stroll through town, then have lunch in one of their lovely restaurants and/or visit one of the wine caves. Then you could take off to walk through the vineyards -- going to Cully or Epasses takes a little more than an hour, or going to Rivaz will take about 2h.

If you want a shorter walk, you could take the train to Chexbres and walk down to Rivaz, which takes about 30 minutes.

Rivaz recently opened the Vinorama (www.lavaux-vinorama.ch), where you can taste all of the wines grown in the Lavaux. I would definitly visit it.

Check the ferry schedules to see how you could work in a lake cruise -- the schedules are at

www.cgn.ch

If possible, I would take the ferry to Lutry, spend a few hours enjoying the town and having lunch, then walk to Rivaz, then take the train to Vevey. I would spend a few hours in Vevey exploring the tangled, winding streets of the old town next to the lake, and have dinner there. Then back to Montreux on the #201 bus.

Let us know if anything here isn't clear, or if you'd like more information.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 10:00 PM

p.s. you may want to take a look at google maps to see where all these towns are located. Just do a search for "Lutry Switzerland," and you should be able to see the whole area.

s
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much swandev, the plan sounds great! exactly what I was looking for, thank you.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 11:22 PM

Glad it seems to fit! I'll be doing this myself in late Nov!

s
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Is there a day transport pass you can get as we will be catching a number of trains? I do vaguely remember something but can't remember what it is called...
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Also, if we are wearing walking gear (ie sandshoes, possible trackpants or jeans, and jumpers) will we be out of place in any restaurants in Lutry or Vevey - ie should we bring a change of shoes/jacket clothes, or will we not feel too out of place?
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 09:02 PM

Hi again,

For the transport pass, do you mean in the area of Montreux, or do you mean beyond the area?

Your hosts will give you a Riviera Card, which makes all the busses in the area free; this includes transport from Villeneuve (other side of Chillon) to and through Montreux and to and through Vevey. I always use the busses because they run every 10 minutes and go everywhere. The RC also makes some of the funiculars free, such as the one from Territet to Glion. Not sure if the Vevey funicular is free with it though. I believe the RC also gives you half off the train fares, but only from Villeneuve to Vevey.

If you mean beyond the region, you may be thinking of the one-day pass, which is only good if you have a Half Fare Card. With the pass, you can travel as long and as far as you want within one day. A 2d class one-day Travel Card is 68 chf (58 chf if you travel after 9 am), and a 1st class is 112 (96 chf if you travel after 9 am).

As for what to wear -- I'm not sure what "sandshoes" or "jumpers" are. But most of the restaurants in Vevey and Lutry are truly casual; you may be sitting next to workmen in overalls in some of the restaurants. Some of the restaurants have more of a work/casual atmosphere, such as the lakeside cafe at the 5-star Royal Plaza, or, yes, the restaurant at the Ermitage. It really depends on the restaurant.

Have fun!

s
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Great thanks swandev - the Riviera Card was exactly what I was meaning, thank you.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 09:47 PM

Here's the detailed info:

http://www.montreux-vevey.com/en/Ben...iviera_Card_en

Have fun!

s
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 04:42 PM

I'm a little late, as I just found this forum. Yeah!

From Montreux, I'd take the train to St Saphorin and from there I would walk to Lutry or you could cut it a bit shorter and head to Cully. In either place you can take the train or ferry back to Montreux. Just note the ferry takes a long time where as the train is 15 mins or so.

Here's a good website for the caveaux. They have short opening hours and some are only open on the thus/fri/weekends.
http://www.vignerons-lavaux.ch/fr/caveaux