Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Honeymoon in April 2014 - Athens and Santorini? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/honeymoon-in-april-2014-athens-and-santorini-1004538/)

awg292 Jan 31st, 2014 10:35 AM

Honeymoon in April 2014 - Athens and Santorini?

Hi,

We will be having our honeymoon in Greece from April 17-April 27. We had the following thoughts in mind and wanted to get any feedback or recommendations.

April 17th - April 20th
Athens -
April 18th is international museum day, so we wanted to try and find a place close to the best museums. April 19th we were thinking of trying to see some of the more historic sites (acropolis) with a finale of Easter Mass in Athens. I hear Athens is much more quiet on Easter as people are home. Will there still be enough to see (candle lighting, fireworks) to make Athens a worthy destination? Any recommendations on what churchs or locations to visit for this? Also, is midnight mass technically the 20th at midnight or the 21st at midnight?

Hotel: Ideal cost would be around 50-60 a night somewhere near the best museums and with good transportation to ancient sites.

April 21st - April 27th
Santorini -
Not sure if this is too long to be in Santorini? We wanted a mix of culture and relaxation and thought Athens to Santorini would provide this. Is this place going to be extra busy the day after Easter? Should we consider renting a car or are scooters equally safe? Any recommendations on good vinyards or other attractions?

Should we be considering a different island? Don't necessarily love the idea of having to pack up and head all over the place, but certainly don't want to feel bored. Think we'll be ok as we are just wanting to relax, but want some local opinions.

Hotel: Ideal cost would be around 70-80, but willing to splurge a couple of nights towards the end if people think that would be a good idea.

Transportation: Planning to take the bluestar from Athens to Santorini to enjoy the views and then fly back and connect in Athens to go home.

Thanks for any thoughts or help! We are incredibly excited!

beanweb24 Jan 31st, 2014 11:17 AM

I might actually suggest a reverse order to your trip - going to Santorini first and then to Athens on the way back for your flight home *just in case* something happens with weather or mechanics and your flight from Santorini is canceled/delayed.

I was in Santorini for Easter in 2005, and it was really an interesting/neat time to be there. Overall festive environment, and had I not been a vegetarian at the time, I would have loved to partake of some local celebration and eat some lamb that had been roasting all day! Here is my trip report - could be outdated, but not sure since I haven't been back.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...pring-2005.cfm

I was in Santorini for a week and was not bored. We rented a car for only one day to explore the island, and I think it was enough (though you could easily stretch to two days if you want more time). I liked Oia - it was quaint and romantic and a little smaller than Fira, though Fira is the place to be if more "night life" is important to you. Really you can't make a bad choice.

awg292 Feb 1st, 2014 12:44 PM

Thank you so much for the advice! So we are now thinking of doing Easter in Santorini and, since we have an extra day, are thinking of adding an island on the way back to Athens.

We were thinking Naxos or Milos? Any thoughts or is there somewhere else we should consider. A little worried we pick the wrong island where things are shut down in April...

Lois2 Feb 1st, 2014 04:03 PM

Ois is great...that budget of 50-60 of what currency? Are we talking Greek Easter or Easter as we have it in say US? I believe they are not the same dates...but maybe they celebrate both? Anyway no matter what currency during this "holiday" time I don't think you will get an accommodation that will be very nice for honeymoon for your budget. Again don't know what currency you are looking at.

mariha2912 Feb 1st, 2014 11:42 PM

Usually Western/Catholic Easter is on different dates to Greek Easter but some years they coincide. 2014 is one of those years, 20th April been Easter Sunday for both.

I think Lois2 is right about budget. A double room in a decent Athens location will cost no less than 75-80 euro and I am talking about pretty basic/spartan options on the pension/small B&B category here (say Metropolis, Cypria, Attalos...)You may find cheaper rooms in rougher or far away areas, but you do not want to be surrounded by drug dealers and/or have to use 40 minutes bus ride to reach the city center, right?

Rates vary a lot in Santorini according to location, if you want cliff side+caldera view I think you look around the 100 euro mark as a minimum, at least for a convenient location. Cliff side but on back streets (no views) you may find rooms to let for ~60 euro on April.
Flat "beach" side of the island is less pricey, you might find a decent sea view room ~50-60 euro on April, but this side of the island will be quite sleepy before main season and you may find your self commuting to cliff side all the time. Ditto applies on the inland villages.

jamikins Feb 2nd, 2014 02:50 AM

We stayed here in Athens in 2011 http://www.hoteltony.gr

It was about a 15 min walk to plaka but we thought it was good value with modern rooms. I think we paid €75 a night in 2011...

beanweb24 Feb 2nd, 2014 11:48 AM

If you do Naxos, I would recommend at least two nights...one night will give you less than a full day by the time you arrive, check in and then have to check out again. You'd definitely want to rent a car for a day and explore the island. I spent a week there in 2010 and loved it.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-..._Cyclades.html

I would recommend you see if Hotel Glaros in Naxos would meet your needs.

To keep costs down in Santorini, you might want to also look for lodging in Firostefani.

awg292 Feb 3rd, 2014 09:08 AM

Thanks to everyone for the help! We have revised our budget based on this advice.

Does anyone have recommendations in Santorini for 185 euro? Ideally want a nice view, preferably with private balcony. Just a beautiful place in case the weather is bad, we will be able to relax and enjoy ourselves in bad weather.