Search

Honeymoon Ideas for Travel in Greece

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon Ideas for Travel in Greece

Hello Travelers!

My boyfriend and I are getting married in a month and haven't planned our honeymoon to Greece! We only have our flights to Athens from May 29-June 11. I could really use some advice on what islands to visit (possibly 2-3 different spots). We are especially interested in staying on islands that are not overridden with tourists, but at the same time, are not sleepy, super remote locations. We're most interested in eating good food, sightseeing and maybe some fishing, and of course, relaxing on a beach!

We are overwhelmed with wedding planning that it's hard to sort through all the travel books and online sources. Any advice would be great appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 02:02 PM

I hope you're not too late to get the hotels of your choice. You've effectively waited until the last minute in terms of bookings. Make the time to do some research. Choose 2 islands close together so you don't waste too much time in transit. Think Mykonos and Paros, Rhodes and Kos or Santorini and Naxos (or Paros).
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding!

Since it's your honeymoon, you will probably want to have everything arranged in advance, but it's not absolutely necessary. If you just want a clean room with private bath, don't worry — there are plenty available in late May and early June, and you don't even need to prebook. Downside is that most will have twin beds. If you are looking for something special, then you will need to get busy making reservations.

Since you are flying in and out of Athens, the obvious choices are islands in the Cyclades which are easy to reach from Athens by ferry. None will be overrun with tourists that time of year, but Mykonos and Santorini will be busier than most and have the best nightlife. For something a little quieter, think Naxos or Paros, both having excellent beaches.

There are many other islands from which to choose, too numerous to mention. Narrow down your choices and come back to the forum for hotel suggestions.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:27 AM

We got married last year too! Wedding planning procedures exhausted us and we were so stressed that we could not stand dealing with the requirements of the honeymoon planning too. We also wished to go to Greece and as we would spend 10 days there, we planned to visit Athens and a couple of the islands. Of course Santorini was a must and the second one was Mykonos (we had also thought of Rhodes but Mykonos was more convenient). So, we looked for a honeymoon package that would offer us accommodation and transfers from one place to the other. We finally booked it through a greek agency and we were offered very good services. The package included accommodation in Athens, Santorini and Mykonos, breakfast, transfers and ferry tickets and some guided sightseeing tours. Here is a detailed itinerary http://www.travel-guide-greece.com/t...tic-Sunset.asp .
Santorini is an amazingly romantic island and, in my opinion, it is the place to be for honeymooners. The caldera is the most impressive view I have ever seen. On the other side, Mykonos is cosmopolitan with great nightlife and unique beaches. You will find some peaceful among them (ask locals or a greek agent – I can also give you some tips) where you can relax and enjoy the sun and the sea. You can find very useful guides on the web but if you prefer to avoid spending time on it, do ask a local agent for things to do and places to visit. If you have any specific questions, I would also be very glad to help you based on my last year experience both from the wedding and the honeymoon.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 05:19 AM

Congrats on your wedding, but... it is your honeymoon, and only you you can make the right choices according to your likes and dislikes. You really need to do some homework, to find destinations suitable to you, not suitable to others...
Just to let you know that nice beaches, great food,sight-seen, even fising, are to be found in mainland too.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Besty - thank you for your helpful advice. Did you take any day trips to other islands? Where did you stay in Santorini? We are booking hotels this week. Would you recommend the place you stayed?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 06:00 AM

We went on a trip to Delos island. It is very close to Mykonos so we took the trip (it was for half day) on the second day of our stay there. Well, if you like culture and archaeological sites, I highly encourage you to take it as well. If you do not like archaeology etc, then there is no reason of being there but the sea route (I always enjoy sailing in small boats).
We stayed at Majestic in Santorini, suggested by our agent. It was very nice and I definitely suggest it to you providing you can afford it.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 06:15 AM

I would suggest Santorini and especially Oia,as the berfect romantic destination of Greece !!! Make sure you have a nice hotel on the caldera side ( cliff side) where you can relax and enjoy the fantastic view over the volcano.
Personally i would combine Santorini with Syros, a very nice island in the middle of the Cyclades, very very romantic and less known among tourists. There are very nice romantic hotels in Syros, good restaurants, and the main city Ermoupolis -being the capital of the Prefecture of Cyclades- is a very vibrant small city .