Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon chateaux at Riviera/S. of France

Old Feb 17th, 1999, 05:58 AM
Susana

I am planning a honeymoon to the Riviera, maybe Cannes or St. Tropez. Then we plan to rent a car and drive through the south of France in the Provence area and then on towards Lyon. We would like to stay in castles/chateaux/inns. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old Feb 17th, 1999, 08:49 AM
michele

Susana,

Try the karen Brown guides. She specializes in hotels with character.
Also, Relais and Chateaux would be helpful. What time of year are you going? May I suggest late Spring. AVOID the summer. St. Tropez is lovely in the Spring and HELL in the summer.

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 11:46 AM
Byrd

Dear Susana,
In October, we stayed at Auberge de Noves (Relais & Chateaux) just outside Avignon, and really loved it. Our group of old friends (four couples) had the four rooms which occupied the entire top floor (third, I think). Each room had a balcony overlooking lavender fields and hills in the distance, and we had a living area where we all gathered in the mornings for coffee and croissants and in the afternoons for drinks and hors d'oeuvres. The restaurant was very good (one-star, I think), and the staff was friendly. We seemed to be well located for our daily explorations of the countryside in rented cars. One night the mistral blew and howled--what a Provencal experience!

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 08:58 PM
John

Hi, Susana, You might want to look at a couple of good web sites - we found them pretty reliable: http://www.chatotel.com/english/ or http://www.chateaux-france.com/RechGeo-en.html or http://www.ila-chateau.com/
Lots of choices, lots of fun. Congrats!

Old Feb 19th, 1999, 06:54 AM
Donna

Hi, Susanna: First of all, congratulations on your marriage!

I have 2 places in mind that are very romantic, and very typical of the area you are planning to visit: EZE Village, which is on the Moyenne Corniche out of Nice, and you want to stay at the Chateau de la Chevre d'Or. This is a perched village, you will love it.

Or the village of St. Paul de Vence, and stay at Le St. Paul. This is a walled medieval village, and only if you are staying at the hotel can you drive in the viilage. Cool old cemetary, Chagall is buried there. When we stayed there, we felt like we owned it.

We loved both places, would go back in a second. Best of luck to you.