Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Honeymoon - Amalfi Coast & Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/honeymoon-amalfi-coast-and-rome-620068/)

saps Jun 1st, 2006 10:17 AM

Honeymoon - Amalfi Coast & Rome

I've been spending way too much time on this board planning my honeymoon (early Sept' 06) but I think I've got it about set and wanted to get any input from the pros...

Day 1: Arrive FCO from San Francisco and head down to Positano (private transfer). Staying at the Hotel Marincanto.
Day 2: Relax in Positano
Day 3: Spend the day in Ravello. Book spa treatments at the Palazzo Sasso.
Day 4: Another Positano relaxation day
Day 5: Spend the day on Capri. Book gennaro e salvatore tour once in Positano.
Day 6: Either relaxation day or another gennaro e salvatore tour (amalfi coast maybe).
Day 7 am: Depart for Rome. We will get a transfer from Positano to the Naples train station but stop at Pompeii for a few hours while en route.
Day 7 pm: Arrive in Rome. Staying at the Splendide Royal. Get oriented and head out in evening for the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona.
Day 8: Vatican City (St Peters & Vatican Museum)
Day 9: Ancient Rome (Forum, Pantheon, Colosseum)
Day 10: Head home

thoughts? comments? Thanks in advance.

nessundorma Jun 1st, 2006 10:35 AM

Looks good. I like the built-in lazy days in Positano.

I ordinarily urge people to do all they can to see Pompeii, but it sounds like you are planning on parking your bags at the Napoli train station and trying to see a lot in two or 3 hours. It might be more hassle than it is rewarding. Perhaps the better idea is just to give yourselves more time in Rome. Think about having dinner in Trastevere one night (go a bit early and stick your head into the church of Santa Maria; it's open late) and in the Jewish Ghetto another night (Da Giggetto near the Portico d'Ottavia would be my choice).

Many people find the Vatican Museum so horribly crowded they don't enjoy it. Don't feel guilty escaping for a walk through Trastevere instead or wandering through the small streets around the Piazza Navona or the Campo dei Fiori.

SeaUrchin Jun 1st, 2006 10:42 AM

sounds perfect to me! Your stop in Pompeii will give you a little taste of it, so you can decide to return on another trip or just see the highlights from one of the guides on site and leave it at that.

Have fun, you have planned an interesting relaxing honeymoon!

saps Jun 1st, 2006 10:43 AM

Thanks ness.

We are actually going to have our driver drop us off in Pompeii, wait for us then take us to the train station. The other option would be to store our bags in Pompeii and take the local train to Naples then transfer to the ES.

My fiancee and I have both been to Rome before (seperately) and my Vatican experience was different than hers. I felt like a sardine inside the museum (especially the Sistine Chapel). She had no such problem. We have opted for an after hours tour (175E/person). I know it's a bunch of money and I have a 80% good feeling and a 20% feeling like it might be a ripoff or not worth it. My fiancee loved the idea so in the end if she is happy then I am happy.

SeaUrchin Jun 1st, 2006 10:45 AM

I suggest having your driver wait for you at Pompeii, they do it all the time and it is less hassle for you on your honeymoon.

saps Jun 1st, 2006 10:50 AM

Thanks Seaurchin...That is most likely what I will set up.

nessundorma Jun 1st, 2006 10:50 AM

You sound like my beloved husband! He figures if he is traveling with me, the most important part of the trip is keeping me happy! Fortunately, I am dream to be with all the time. ;-)

I've been thinking about doing that after hours tour myself. I hope you will come back and post about it. If it is good, it is certainly worth the 175.

If you are willing to pay for all that waiting time in Pompeii, another thing you *might* consider is using one of your Positano days for a day trip to Pompeii. Have the driver drop you off in the morning and pick you in the afternoon. You can probably wait until you are there to make the arrangements. Most drivers are that flexible. Depending on your mood and the weather, that might be a more rewarding way to see the site. The challenge is that it is sooooooo huge and soooooo fascinating, even 2 or 3 days wouldn't seem like too much.

If you stick to your original plan, just go in knowing that you're likely to feel overwhelmed and want to return someday. And reading up in advance helps make the most of your time there.

saps Jun 1st, 2006 02:02 PM

Thanks for all your advice.

For us, spending multiple days on our honeymoon doing "nothing" is more important than spending a full day at Pompeii. Although I have wanted to go to Pompeii ever since my three years of high school latin. We might just play it by ear and be flexible.

I've gotten some good restaurant recommendations from this site. In Positano (generally speaking) do you have to reserve in advance (days) or is it possible to either drop in or make same day reservations (we are going in September)?

nessundorma Jun 1st, 2006 02:03 PM

saps,

Going for the relaxation makes sense to me. Pompeii will be there forever.

Sorry I can't answer your question about ristoranti in Positano.

ira Jun 1st, 2006 02:05 PM

Hi saps,

For resto reservations, give a call the night before or the morning of, if you know where you want to go.

Looks like a lovely trip.

Have you considered flying into Naples and out of Rome, or VV.

The cost of a limo from Rome to Positano is a lot more than extra airfare.

((I))

saps Jun 1st, 2006 02:23 PM

Thanks ira...

Had not looked into flying into Naples. I'll check it out.

I can hardly wait to sit down at a restaurant high above Positano with a view of the sea, drinking vino, eating antipasto, all while gazing into my new brides eyes.

Traviata Jun 1st, 2006 02:26 PM

saps,

Palazzo Sasso is on my "wish list"..I hope you will have time to post about it when you return....Have a lovely trip!!