Honeymoon Advice in Rome-Ravello-Capri?

Jul 29th, 2003, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon Advice in Rome-Ravello-Capri?

We are leaving for our honeymoon Sept 28, 20003. Here is our potential itinerary,

2 nights in Rome (stay at Albergo del Senato)

4 nights in Ravello (Palazzo Sasso)
4 nights in Capri (Capri Palace)

We are planning on renting a car in rome and returning it in sorrento before heading to Capri. Returning from capri to naples to catch a train back to rome where we will stay one night at the Albergo Del Senato before we return.

Any info/thoughts on this itinerary, hotels, car rental, and restaurants would be greatly appreciated. **We are starting to get concerend about the capri palace after reading certain posts on this site - input on Capri is especially welcome.
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:47 AM
ira

Hi,

How are you planning to return from Capri?

Boats to Naples might not be reliable due to rough weather.
Jul 29th, 2003, 05:01 AM

Looks wonderful to me !
One suggestion to consider. Since you will have a car for Ravello, why not go there first after you land and save Rome for last--for 3 nites.
Jul 29th, 2003, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

We were planning on taking the ferry, but maybe - should go to sorrento, and train to Naples? Should I be concerned about the weather impacting the ferry schedule at that time of year?

Also, what is the weather like there in lat sepetmber- early october?
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:49 AM

Palazzo Sasso in Ravello --- Home Run. Ideal for a honeymoon.

The ferries/hydrofoils will not be a problem at that time (Ira's advice is usually very sound otherwise).

The order you do the trip in depends on how you cope with jet lag --- personally, I would go straight to Ravello to unwind and for the setting and therefore finish off in Rome. But, it sounds great the way it is!
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:06 AM

I think you will need to spend more time in Rome and less time on Amalfi/Capri. You can spend 3 days in Ravello and 2 on Capri and spend the rest of the time in Rome. Capri is beautiful but I can hardly imagine spending more than 2 days there. YOu can easily do all the sights in 1 day and you will need another day to soak up the atmposphere. Same holds true for Amalfi coast. BTW, you chose a great hotel in Rome, it is so classy and the service is really personal.
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:34 PM

Although it makes for a long day of travel, I also would recommend heading to the Amalfi Coast, and spending the last two days of your trip in Rome. I also would recommend breaking up the Capri portion of your trip. Having just returned from Capri ( first time there, but second to the Amalfi Coast) I really can't imagine spending four days, unless all you want to do is relax at your hotel and pool. You might be better off either splitting your time between Capri and Positano, or basing in Positano from which you could do easy daytrips to Pompeii, Amalfi,Sorrento, and (hopefully, depending on water conditions) Capri.

By the way, your choice of hotel in Rome is great. You will love the location, and the fact that it's easy walking distance to most of Rome's major sights. We stayed around the corner from the Albergo Del Senato at Hotel Pantheon, and found the location just perfect.

Congratulations, and have fun!
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:50 PM
ira

Hi John

I yield to your greater knowledge.

I have in my notes that the end of Sept is the winter schedule for the Capri/Naples ferry. Do you have any info on this?
Aug 1st, 2003, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input and advice. This is the best travel forum I have encountered on the web. I think we may consider shortening our time on capri and returning to rome for a couple of days at the end of the trip. The first two nights in rome are going to be to unwind and rest and not worry about going anywhere, we are actually returning to rome for a family reunion in 16mths so we will take the city in more then. I can't wait to go away!!!! My fiance and I have traveled a good bit together in the US, but have never been to Europe!!!
ALSO!! Any restuarant recommendations are greatly appreciated!!!(Rome, Capri, Anywhere on the Amalfi coast! THANKS~
Aug 1st, 2003, 05:38 AM

There is a great restaurant in Positano. From the main dock, as you are facing the town, walk to the left along the cliff. In about 300 meters, you will come across a restaurant with an unbelievable view of the sea. The food is also very good. The owner is a very funny guy, even though he does not speak much English.
Aug 1st, 2003, 05:47 AM

Hi MJMCMB

Restaurants in or near Positano:
Restaurant Donna Rosa in Montepertuso,
Hotel Il San Pietro and Hotel Sirenuse (La Sponda)
Enjoy!!
Aug 1st, 2003, 06:45 PM

Restaurants in Positano: Lunch preferably, although you can obviously have dinner there, too at the Hotel Poseidon. Spectacular setting on terrace overlooking all of Positano. Dominic, the maitre'd, is a dead ringer for the main actor on FANTASY ISLAND. The food is out of this world.

Another recommendation for Montpertuso: Il Ritrovo, which is a proponent of the SLOW FOOD movement in Italy. Ask at your hotel whether they will still send somebody to pick you up (and drive you back) from your hotel.

If you go to Sorrento, try Taverna or Taverna Due. Taverna has some of the best pizza I've ever tasted, and Taverna Due has incredible handmade fresh pastas and wonderful meat dishes. Also the service at both places is excellent.

In Capri, we very much enjoyed dinner at Villa Brunella. Although the food wasn't amazing, the view out the dining room window was worth the visit. We also enjoyed a place down at the port that had the best food we tasted in Capri, but I've got to go look for the name! The owner had just returned to Capri after twenty years or so of runing a restaurant in Vermont. The pasta dishes were served in enormous gleaming copper pans.

Good luck, and have a great trip!
Aug 1st, 2003, 06:48 PM

And in Rome... Dal Bolognese was excellent, but you should try to reserve as far ahead as you can.

Buon viaggio!
Aug 1st, 2003, 08:38 PM

The Palazzo Sasso is wonderful. I agree with others to reduce Capri in favor of more time on Amalfi Coast. I also second the rec. for Il Ritrovo. The area around and above Montepertuso makes for wonderful hiking and spectacular views. Champagne from the bar around the pool at La Sirenuse is also special in the evening as the sun is setting -- you needn't be a guest there. See if you can squeeze in a special dinner at Don Alfonso in Sta. Agata, just south of Sorrento. Google it to learn more about this Michelin-starred restaurant.
Aug 2nd, 2003, 05:29 AM

We nearly went to Don Alfonso, but when I looked at previous posts, it had gotten mixed reviews, and it is amazingly expensive.

The name of the place I mentioned that's down at Marina Grande ( the main port where all the boats come in from Sorrento, Naples, etc.) is: Ristorante da Ciro "Le Zodiaco". It's a very simple place facing the port, but has excellent moderately priced food.

Good luck!
Aug 2nd, 2003, 05:54 AM

I think Don Alfonso is not for an everyday Italian meal. Since I look to Chowhound for food talk, here's a link to a discussion of Don Alfonso, w/ pros and cons:

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/intl...ges/13091.html
Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:58 PM

Ira,
We took the Hydrofoil out of Sorrento (to Capri) and ferry into Naples twice late Sept/early October and everything seemed pretty normal --- frequent runs, smooth water, lots of diesal fumes, overcrowded --- you know, the usual.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 06:12 PM

You asked about the weather during that time of year. It is warm and beautiful. Pack short sleeves and sun dresses!
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all your input.
Aug 25th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Just about a month away from our trip. Still trying to get more info on Capri Palace...any thoughts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO