Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon: 10 days in Greece, mid-October.

Apr 27th, 2001, 11:27 AM
janelle

Planning two nights in Athens, splitting up the other 8 between two or three different islands. Any suggestions on which islands we should visit? Is three islands pushing it? How is the weather that time of year? Any hotel recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Looking for something on the beach, nice views, romantic.

Apr 27th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Susan

Janelle, this topic has been widely discussed in this forum in the past. If you did a quick search, I'm sure you'd find lots of great ideas on itineraries and hotel suggestions.

Personally I think that three islands is pushing it if you have only 8 days. I don't always want to be on the move. I also don't like packing up every other day. Whether you're taking a ferry or hydrofoil, you've got to factor in your transportation time. There are also flights between Athens and the islands, as well as flights between some of the islands (for example, between Rhodes and Santorini). I think 3 or 4 nights per island is probably ideal for short visits. At that rate, 2 islands would be very do-able.

We were there in September and weather was great. I've heard that it's also nice in October.

Apr 27th, 2001, 12:06 PM
dee

Janelle,

I agree with Susan..3 nights is TOO much.

And while I think you should definitely do Santorini, I'd go with Mykonos as the second island...it's just so well-known and shouldn't be missed...almost like going to Italy and missing Florence or something like that (IMHO).

Mykonos sometimes gets a bad rap, because it's such a party island, but in October, it'll be very beautiful and serene.

Good luck...

Apr 27th, 2001, 12:07 PM
dee

OOPS!! I meant 3 islands, NOT 3 nights! Sorry about that...3/4 nights/island.

d.

Apr 28th, 2001, 05:15 AM
nospam

Too funny! I wondered what you meant by that!