Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honestly now, how easy is it to travel in France w/o knowing French?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, my question is basically in my title. There are two of us flying into Nice. We are thinking about going to Cannes, Monte Carlo, then over to Barcelona and possibly to Madrid from there. Everyone says we won't have any problem not knowing how to speak French or Spanish. Is that really true? Any recommendations? Help!
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:43 PM

You will have no trouble in most places. However, I strongly recommend learning basic phrases. The french warm to you much more quickly if you follow their ettiquette and use a few words in french.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:43 PM

You probably recognize some basic words if you see them, right? And you will likely learn some phrases before you go, right? You'll be fine. A polite attitude will go a long way. It's rpetty easy in msot places to find people who speak some English so between your efforts and theirs you'll manage to communicate.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:44 PM

...but not so easy on this forum to find someone who doesn't type their letters in the wrong order!! Oops.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:48 PM

According to what I've observed, easy. A few years ago friends who speak no French joined us in Provence; they had landed at CDG, took RER to Paris, spent a couple of days there, rented a car, drove to Provence (not on the toll roads, which would have been easier), and found their way to our rented gite in the middle of a poppy field near Gordes, after dark.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. Your replies ease my mind, but I'm still nervous. I am learning words and phrases. Another question: What should I know about French etiquiette?
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:51 PM

Although many restaurants cater towards tourists with multilingual menus or waitstaff, I recommend a menu translator if you are concerned with what you may be served. Me, I love the food in Southern France.

I agree with learning a few key phrases before leaving. In my experience, the French are very helpful to those who make an effort.

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:56 PM

When dealing with anyone you must always first say Bonjour Madame / Monsier or Bonsoir. Then ask your question. When you are done say "merci, aurevoir". For example: If you go to the front desk of your hotel to ask what time the restaurant opens in the evening you dont just ask the question. You MUST say bonjour first. It is considered incredibly rude in France to just start talking to someone.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 06:39 PM

Even when walking into a store, always look the clerk in the eye and say, Bonjour. And take along a good menu translator; I speak french, but the menu is often difficult to translate. In Madrid, English is not spoken as much as you might expect for being such a large city.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 09:11 PM

Very easy.
The only trouble we had was with a taxi driver in Avignon who (really) spoke no English. Written address of our destination and having a map handy helped in that situation.

Be polite, smile, and you should be just fine.

Reading this forum, studying a phrasebook and listening to language tapes will help.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:14 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34564077

Here is a thread for "French Etiquette"
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have no problem, but have seen many other people who do. My belief is that success is in your approach to the matter.

First, stay calm, don't speak and look around you. Watch what other people are doing... when you line up, in a bakery or grocery store, on a bus or train, etc. Then do what they do!

Smile and learn the phrase in both languages: "I'm sorry, I don't speak French/Spanish". Practice these until they roll off your tongue and say them with an apologetic expression.

And definitely studying basic pleasantries (hello, goodbye, thank you, please, I'm sorry) and having a phrase book on hand to translate restaurant menus (if you are totally unfamiliar with languages) will be helpful.

Be creative. Catch the waiters eye and make a scribble motion with your hand, to indicate you need a restaurant bill (for example). Learn numbers so you can point, and count with a vendor or at a bakery (for instance).

Buena suerte!
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 07:34 AM

How long until your trip? I am going to Spain at the end of summer and am already taking a Conversational Spanish class. (only 10 weeks, and will probably take the continuing class) Most adult education places offer these and they are really geared towards tourists. You will not become fluent, but they teach you enough phrases/words to get by. Depending on the instructor, you will probably also get a bit of the mannerisms and expectations of the country, too.

I just went to Mexico last week, armed with what little knowledge I had picked up in just 5 weeks. I was really surprised at how much I could communicate! And even though just about everyone there speaks English (and usually responded to me in English), I was amazed at how much more open and responsive the people were to me. I think it truly does help to learn at least a few phrases and words and take it from there. Oh, and "Habla mas despacio, por favor" (please speak more slowly) works wonders! Also "Como se dice ...." (How do you say .....).

Have fun!
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:06 AM
amelia

I do speak French after a fashion,and when I travel by myself or with my daughters, I try to use my language skills as much as possible. My husband, however, doesn't even do "Bonjour" well. He has never had a problem. In fact, perhaps his lack of language skills helps.

He never says "Bonjour" (and yes,please do say "Bonjour, Monsieur,Madame), but he certainly greets everyone in pantomime with a nod and huge smile. No one seems to think he is rude. He is always the one who gets the waiter, asks for the check, and settles the money when we're together. All without one word in French, yet all without an expectation that others should speak English for him.

That said, I would still learn the "get along" phrases. And no matter what, carry a little translation book and an spiral tear-off index card booklet. My non-French-speaking husband and sometime fluent self both write addresses or phrases down on index cards, hand them to the ticketmaster, the taxidriver, the hotel clerk, etc. It stops all confusion. And you can always write, "Merci!" in large letters on the card even if you can't speak it.