Hondaribbia and St. Jean de Luz

May 13th, 2019, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Hondaribbia and St. Jean de Luz

We fly into Hondaribbia and will spend 2 nights there. Then we're renting a car and going to St. Jean de Luz for four nights before going to San Sebastian and the apartment we've rented. I would appreciate recommendations for hotels in both places.
We decided to have a car in SJL, so we can do day trips; would like your suggestions for good places to visit, have lunch, etc.
May 13th, 2019, 03:58 PM

We really enjoyed the Hotel de la Plage in St. Jean de Luz. They park your car for you and bring it around when you want it. Right on the beach in the middle of town. Reasonable rates. Could be filled, but check it out. Good place.

Enjoyed dinner at Le Kaiku in St. Jean de Luz as well.
Really love Hondarribia, but did not stay there, so no hotel recommendations and can't recall the place we dined. Lots of fun places to dine. Just walk about and see what looks good.

Enjoy. We love both cities. Hope you get lucky enough to be there during a festival. They really know how to celebrate.
May 13th, 2019, 04:15 PM

We stayed at El Obispo in Hondarribia, nice enough hotel but little parking available. The Parador there had more parking and next time we'd stay there. We also loved St-Jean de Luz and the Basque villages in the mountains above it. Do not miss visiting some of them-Saré, Aihoa, Ascain, Espellette, etc. MaribelsGuides were invaluable in this area, both in Spanish and French Basque areas.
May 14th, 2019, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. That hotel looks really nice and we'll check it out.
May 14th, 2019, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We won't have a car for the two nights in Hondaribbia, so parking not a problem.
May 14th, 2019, 02:39 PM

Hotel options in Hondarribia and Saint-Jean-de-Luz

You don't mention when you'll be in the Basque country, but accommodations in Hondarribia are rather limited. According to Maribel's Guide to Hondarribia, the Hotel El Obispo is fine, as is the Sercotel Hotel Jauregui (https://en.hoteljauregui.com), which in near the fisherman's quarters. There is also the small Hotel Palacete http://www.hotelpalacete.net. The Parador de Carlos V is often one of the most expensive is the Parador system and only has 36 rooms (https://www.parador.es/en/paradores/...de-hondarribia).

The beach at Hondarribia

In Saint-Jean-de-Luz, the Grand Hotel is the nicest facing the beach. The 5-star Hôtel Parc Victoria has a pool. The Hôtel Villa Bel Air is a modest 3-star overlooking the beach. The 4-star Hôtel Madison Saint Jean de Luz at 25 boulevard Thiers isn't bad.

Grand Hotel St-Jean-de-Luz

Depending on when you're planning this adventure, these places are always busy during hight season, which runs from June through September and need to be booked as early as possible.
May 15th, 2019, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I have contacted the three hotels in the Maribel guide. The Parador is beyond our budget.
May 15th, 2019, 09:34 AM

We love St-Jean-de-Luz and visit it fairly often. We like Hôtel Saint Jean de Luz Txoko - Hôtel Saint Jean de Luz, Pays Basque
May 15th, 2019, 08:25 PM

Since I don't know your hotel budget, I'll just mention these:
In Hondarribia:
For those with a moderate budget, I like very much the cozy Hotel Obispo in the medieval quarter.
For higher end, there's the lovely new-ish Villa Magalean on the main drag, a member of Rusticae & Chateaux Hotels or the boutique Hotel Jaizkibel up in the hills.
And there's the historic Parador, whose rates can be steep during high season.

In St-Jean-de-Luz (in town)
I like very much the Hotel de la Plage right on the beach (moderate) and La Reserve atop the hills with gorgeous views (more expensive) of the entire bay.
The Parc Victoria is a Relais Chateaux member but I've never stayed there, and the Grand Hotel is super luxury, right on the beach.

For dining, there are so many truly wonderful options in both towns as well as the countryside. I could go on and on! (but wont'!)
In Hondarribia, there's the Michelin starred Alameda (now with an informal tapas side), the fishermen's guild, Hermandad de Pescadores, in the fishermen's quarter, for outstanding turbot, the innovate and inexpensive small plates Gastroteka Dononzat in the medieval quarter and for pintxos, Gran Sol (award winner) or any other buzzy pintos bar on lively Calle San Pedro in La Marina, the fishermen's quarter.

Equally fine dining in St-Jean-de-Luz at the lovely, beautifully decorated & atmospheric Kaiku (1 Michelin star), Le Brouillarta (1 Michelin star) in the Hotel de la Plage, Zoko Moko (formerly 1 Michelin star but still very fine), the cute & casual Kako Etxea right at the market, La Reserve on the hill (1 Michelin star), teeny, tiny La Boëte for oysters, mussels, chipirons and the moderate Pil-Pil Enea for hake. And in neighboring Ciboure, there's Chez Mattin, whose specialty is a type of Basque bouillabaisse called "ttoro".
In St-Jean-de-Luz I haven't yet been to the newly opened L'Essential, but it's been getting fine reviews from the food press.
We stock up with wonderful gourmet items at the Tuesday/Friday outdoor market around Les Halles, where all of the best artisan producers come to you directly from their farms. (The outdoor market happens in July/August on Saturdays as well.)

As for inland villages to visit with a car, what HappyTrvlr recommends! They are all postcard picture pretty.
Aug 13th, 2019, 04:55 AM

Although we did enjoy our stay at Hotel Obispo, travelers need to be aware that some rooms face the airport with flights arriving and taking off,. We were bothered by the noise.
Aug 13th, 2019, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice. We are staying at Hotel Rio Bidasoa (Obispo was fully booked) in Hondarbbia and Hotel de la Plage in SJL. I usually write a trip report, keeping a daily diary, so will let you know how it all worked out.
We also just completed reservations at Hotel Gran Ultonia in Girona and Hotel Salles Ciutat del Prat near the airport for the night before we fly home.
Our first job was to rent apartments in San Sebastian and Barcelona, which we did many months ago, so I'll let everyone know how those worked, also.
Aug 13th, 2019, 07:01 PM

You'll be fine at the Gran Ultonia in Girona.
I haven't stayed at the Salles Ciutat del Prat, so no experience.

In Hondarribia you may want to check out the new-ish Taberna del Alameda, which is the informal space of the Michelin-starred Alameda, right within walking distance of the Rio Bidasoa, mentioned in my post above. It's getting solid reviews.
https://restaurantealameda.net/en/tavern/
The Alameda has just taken over the restaurant of the Bodegas Hiruzta right outside of town, that produces the area's best txakolí. If you like txakolí, I recommend that you try the Hiruzta label.

We were just in Hondarribia in July, and it gets nicer and nicer, prettier and prettier each year. Enjoy an evening pintxos crawl on the lively pedestrian Calle San Pedro.
Have a wonderful time in the Basque Country!
Aug 14th, 2019, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions. We are really looking forward to going back to places we love (San Sebastian and Barcelona) and exploring new areas (French Basque and Rioja). And, yes, I've grown to like Txakoli and will try that label.
Aug 15th, 2019, 12:51 PM

Marsha,
I just left some other dining suggestions for you here on your other thread:
French Basque restaurants

I didn't mention Guéthary.
Since you have 4 nights in St-Jean-de-Luz, without a car, you could also take the #816 Transports 64 bus or the TER train to pretty Guéthary (short 5 min. train ride or 15 min. bus ride) for a walk around and lunch at the cute yellow Le Poinçon attached to the tiny station, the cafe Le Madrid or Briket'bistro, the informal space of Michelin-starred Brikétenia, where we had a wonderful lunch this past July.
https://lefooding.com/en/restaurants...incon-guethary
https://lefooding.com/en/hotels/hote...adrid-guethary
https://www.briketenia.com/en/

But I would consider first renting a car for a day to make an inland French Basque village loop since small Guéthary will be rather quiet in mid-September.
Regards,
Maribel

Aug 16th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again.