Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Homestay vs Student Apartment in Florence!!??!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi there...I'm in a bit of a dilemma and would like some feedback, comments, personal experiences, anything(!!!) in trying to decide whether to do a homestay with an Italian family or opt for the student apartment?<BR><BR>I will be on a study abroad program based in Florence for 3 months. I like independent living but feel that I could learn more and experience more staying with a family (I know this is assuming a lot!). The program has these choices:<BR><BR>1. apartment - share twin-bedded room (base)<BR>2. apartment - single room (+ $480)<BR> *apt. option does not include meals<BR><BR>3. homestay - share t-b room (+ 690)<BR>4. homestay - single room (+ 990)<BR> *homestay option includes meals<BR><BR> I would post prices but it would be a bit misleading since the prices include airfare, bus pass, excursions, hotel stays in rome, etc. etc. along with housing options. So, I posted the difference in prices instead, if that would help at all in your critiquing.<BR><BR>So far, here are my thoughts: if I were to opt for homestay, I would get the single room. If i stay in an apartment, I have no real preference--yet. Any thoughts???<BR><BR>thanks soooo much...I know this is a semi-long post!<BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

topping for myself...<BR><BR>anyone?
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:24 PM

Hi craisin,<BR><BR>I'm headed to Florence as well for study. I decided to stay in an apartment for a few reasons. <BR><BR>I did a homestay in St Petersburg about 10 years ago and it was sort of a mixed bag. My Russian improved tremendously because my host family didn't speak English. They were however, very conservative and strict--they didn't want to give me a key because they were afraid I would lose it, I had to ask permission to use the phone, the stove, etc. We got along pretty well--I followed all the rules, but it was uncomfortable because I was always afraid of offending them.<BR><BR>I also studied in Japan, where I stayed in a dorm, not a homestay. I spoke Russian better after 2 months in Russia, than Japanese after a year in Japan. It's not entirely b/c of the homestay, the languages are very different, but I'm sure the homestay helped.<BR><BR>This trip to Italy for me is more of a vacation...I'd like to learn some Italian, but my goal isn't fluency in the langauage, so I'm happy to trade off some language practice for privacy. <BR><BR>I don't know if you want advice, per se, but here's my 2 cents. Find out what the options are if you decide later that you want to change home stays or change from a home stay to an apartment. Ask whether the host-families speak English. For the program I was on in Russia, my family was unusual. Most of the families had at least one person (usually a high school or university age child) who spoke English. If you've lived by yourself for a while, go stay with your Mom for a month to remind yourself what it's like to have to...okay, never mind about the last one Whatever you decide, have a great trip! <BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Syrin <BR><BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:41 PM

I have a college junior in the homestay section of a Florence program now. She also spent a summer semester in England and chose the homestay because the apartment party scene was pretty intrusive. ...but dif program etc...We are in pretty frequent contact and this kid does not suffer in silence. So far it has been all good.....Her MAMA is a fine cook and the kids are fun....i have a kid who loves family life but some may want more seperation.She has visited abroad from her middle school years for part of a summer so I do trust her sense of what works best for her.....maybe that is where you start...the kids from her home college urged those taking the program to do it with a family as it seemed they connected better and ddid more.......good luck!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the input, syrin (and for resurrecting my post)...<BR><BR>I wanted to stay with a host family to really immerse myself in the culture and language. So far, I'm really leaning towards that. But, like your experience, what I'm most afraid of is the awkwardness should the family not be &quot;my fit&quot;. <BR><BR>I'm even thinking of living with a family with kids--which is, to most people, CRAZY!...but it'll be interesting to see how they live. Also, it's more likely that the homestay will be with a &quot;family&quot; instead of someone who just needs to rent out a room. <BR><BR>well, I'll talk to the program advisor to get more details, i guess...<BR><BR>any other input will be much appreciated!!! thank you!!!!!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

realtor, that's exactly the experience I'm looking for! I like independence but I also have a home life that I truly cherish and am very grateful for.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 07:33 PM

Hi craisin! I have a 20 yr old daughter studying and living in Florence this year. She left in Aug 2002 and will be finished in May 2003. For the first 4 months she lived in an upstairs apartment with 1 other girl, 3 guys. It started out with 1 other girl, 1 guy but the rent was too expensive. After the other 2 guys moved in, it was kind of a downhill slide. One of the guys regularly invited traveling US students to stay overnight, which presented many challenges. Some of the roommates paid the rent on time, others never paid the rent - difficult at best! All of this with one bathroom . . . need I say more? The final straw was when the female roommate moved out with absolutely no notice. After Christmas break, my daughter moved into a private home and has been VERY happy thus far. She's living with a woman, her 10 yr old daughter and a 25 yr old female student. My daughter and the other student have single bedrooms with a shared bathroom at the far end of the house. It's a MUCH MORE POSITIVE living arrangement for getting uninterrupted sleep, better meals, etc. Oh, and the maid actually vacuums her bedroom regularly - doesn't get much better I'd definitely recommend a similar arrangement.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 04:59 AM

I'm current in France studying abroad and living with a host family (when I leave in the end of April, I will have lived with them for 8 months). I have really enjoyed living with them because there are added perks: traveling, meeting French people, talking, etc .. You do learn a lot more with a family and just having a family atmosphere is beneficial. Sure, there are a lot of benefits to having an apartment, but I'd rather live with a family.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the added comments chrisk and genesea! These are the reasons why I'm leaning more towards homestay. I think that the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages when it comes to homestay. <BR><BR>With what chrisk has posted, that is what I'm weary about--an apartment seems to have a more unstable environment: people can come and go, plus having lived in a dorm situation, it's just much harder to establish groundrules with peers. <BR><BR>genesea, I've been reading your posts and have really enjoyed your french &quot;adventures&quot;...thanks for posting a comment...my stay will only be for 3 months...I hope this will be enough time to really establish some sort of a &quot;bond&quot; with the host family...that would complete my italian experience! (the perks you've mentioned would be an added bonus!)
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 08:39 PM

A question for &quot;chrisk&quot;:<BR>Thank you for your feedback on this topic. <BR>The apartment that your daughter first had (the not-so-positive experience)---was it arranged by the school or by a realtor or some other means? <BR>This very week I will be booking flights, enrolling in a school in Florence and arranging accommodations. I was leaning towards an apartment because I'd like to be within walking distance of the school (near the Duomo).<BR>Thank you in advance for your response!
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:35 PM

Have you considered doing a combination of the two? Like you, I realize that homestays are better for learning to live the language and making contacts, but I also value my privacy. Perhaps you could ask to stay with a family for a month, and then in flat for two months. The family doesn't necessarily need to know that you're changing housing arrangements (or you could tell a little white lie - eg that your friend/classmate/partner is joining you later and you want to get an apartment). If you realize a week into your visit that you've lucked out and been assigned to your dream family, you could see if they'd keep you on (and pay a small cancellation fee for the flat).
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Those of you who have had negative experiences: did you make arrangements through the school or some other means? Most of the schools I've checked into state that a student has 3 days to &quot;approve&quot; of the accommodations. If he/she is not happy, most will try to find something more suitable.<BR>Thank you for any feedback!
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 02:42 PM

My daughter is studying abroad for this school year in two different programs. For the fall semester, she did a homestay and had a positive experience. My son also did a homestay for a semester a few years ago and had a great experience. Both would say that if you want to learn the language and culture, this is definitely the way to go. <BR>For the spring semester, my daughter is living in a single room in a boarding house - not in the city where she did the homestay. While she does like being able to come and go without regard to the schedule of others, she misses the family meals with conversation and is getting less language practice.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 03:26 PM

Hi Alba,<BR><BR>The programs that I have participated in have had a process for changing families if things didn't work out, but not for opting out of the homestay altogether. <BR><BR>After reading Chrisk's post, I did go back to my agreement and made sure I was renting only a room in a flat, and would not be responsible for finding roomates or paying their rent if they decide not to! It didn't specify, though, whether my roomates would be allowed to bring home strange travellers for the night...I guess I'll have to deal with that situation if it comes up...<BR> <BR><BR>
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 03:55 PM

My daughter spent a semesster in Vienna with IES. She thinks she got the worst of all worlds. Upon arrival (after their orientation) they were given numbers in a number draw and then went in sequence to select a place to live. She had found a compatible roommate and they selected a place based on its location (they wanted to be closer in rather than in the burbs). They assumed it was a homestay arrangement. What it turned out to be was a 28 year old anal Viennese yuppie who was renting out 2 rooms in his flat for extra income. He wasn't interested in interacting with them at all. They had shared kitchen privileges and shared a bath with another boarder. They were forbidden to use the living and dining room. So, if you have any choice about who your homestay is with, check it out carefully.