Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Homebase: Sorrento or Positano? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/homebase-sorrento-or-positano-286438/)

Bill_K Jan 17th, 2008 03:01 PM

Homebase: Sorrento or Positano?

We are trying to decide on a home base for a week in May--either Sorrento or Positano (or ???). On past trips we loved exploring Venice (the back alleyways) but did not like St Marks Square—except at night--too touristy. We loved all parts of Rome and Florence, walking in Tuscany and the Cinque Terre. We also plan to stay in Naples for a few days (we liked Palermo).

Midnightsun Jan 17th, 2008 03:22 PM

Bill: If you are going to rent a villa, I'd recommend the Amalfi Coast over Sorrento. That could be Positano or Priano (just outside Positano, a bit quieter) or even Montepertuso (in the hills above Positano). Positano itself is busy and touristy, but it's quite compact. Get out of the city and into the hills or down the coast and it gets a bit wilder than on the north side of the peninsula. We rented a house on the outskirts of Positano last summer, and we had a lovely view of the Galli islands. We ventured into Positano a few times but also enjoyed the towns in the vicinty. We didn't spend much time in Sorrento, which was definitely larger than Positano and therefore harder to escape.

worldinabag Jan 17th, 2008 03:26 PM

Hi

Sorrento is a good base for sightseeing but Positano is great for chilling out and would be my preference, especially as you are staying in Naples anyway.

Weadles Jan 18th, 2008 04:42 AM

I agree with the posts above. Sorrento is a good base for seeing Pompeii, Capri, Naples, and some of the towns of the AC. But it is also tour bus central in the summer months, and the home to many fish n chip shops for the package tour crowd. Positano is also very busy and crowded in the summer months, but it is much more beautiful and charming than Sorrento.

steviegene Jan 18th, 2008 05:13 AM

another vote for positano.

cheryllj Jan 18th, 2008 08:02 AM

Positano. Prettier, more scenic and charming.

I often read comments that Sorrento is a better "base" to enjoy the Amalfi Coast and I don't understand that. First, it's not ON the Amalfi Coast. If you want to visit the Amalfi Coast, why don't you actually stay there?

Second, it is just as easy to get to Capri from Positano as it is from Sorrento. You get on a boat right at the dock in Positano and it takes you directly to Capri. It might take longer, but the "ease" is the same. And visiting Amalfi and Ravello and the rest of the AC is easier - and faster - from Positano than it is from Sorrento.

The only advantage to Sorrento that I can see is that it's closer to Naples and Pompeii (and it offers more budget lodging options). But if you're staying in Naples already, I can't see any advantage unless it's budget considerations.

roro Jan 18th, 2008 09:06 AM

Another vote for Positano... hands down. We stayed there several years ago. We were able to use it as a base to visit Capri, Amalfi, Ravello. But at the same time, it's a nice calm town to take walks in the afternoon and evenings, enjoy a gelato at a sidewalk cafe with some local music... you can definitely find non-touristy spots, particularly in May.

Bill_K Jan 18th, 2008 11:48 AM

Thanks to all that replied so far--your comments have been very helpful--looks like Postiano is the clear winner and a perfect choice for us.
Best Regards,
Bill

Weadles Jan 18th, 2008 01:54 PM

Cheryl,

We've been in Positano twice when boats to Capri were cancelled due to rough water conditions. I've been told that Positano doesn't have as deep a harbor as Sorrento, which is why the boats are more often cancelled in Positano.