Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Home Sweet Home - (11 days Germany & Zurich) Aust. is too far from Europe!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/home-sweet-home-11-days-germany-and-zurich-aust-is-too-far-from-europe-655582/)

aussiedreamer Oct 27th, 2006 08:19 PM

Home Sweet Home - (11 days Germany & Zurich) Aust. is too far from Europe!!!

Just home from our quick trip to Zurich and Germany. I will do a full report as I know how important they are to fellow planners.

But just wanted to say we are home safe and sound and that Australia is definately too far from Europe.........It really is 24 hours travelling time (inc. 3hr stopover Asia). I 'know' its worth it......but omg its a long way.

Quick observations,
*Loved Zurich (could live without going back to Hanvoer)
*Autobarns.....Awsome
*Food great, love the Fondue at the Adler!!!
*Never Ever Ever stay at the Sorat, Vahrenwalder.........EVER.
*Europe breakfasts are great
*Always drink the local (or as local as you can get) wine.
*Train travel is crazy easy and efficient.

So thanks for all your help as always. I'm off to cook my DD's a roast as they 'handled' everything fantastically. (they are 18 & 20 but still....)

bye for now. ;-)

LoveItaly Oct 27th, 2006 09:06 PM

Hi aussiedreamer, I always cringe to think of the flight you folks in Australia have to take to get to Europe, or even the US. I always dread the flight from the westcoast of the US to Europe. Enjoy that roast, sounds fantastic. Reading your trip report when you get settled in and rested will be fun! Best regards.

WallyKringen Oct 27th, 2006 11:25 PM

I know how you feel, I've done the Frankfurt-Sydney and reverse trip many times (remember the late '60s when you had to touch down in about 4 or 5 places because planes didn't hold that much fuel and went slower?)

Next time try this: Fly United and see if you can get a deal where you can fly via the US and break the journey in Denver where United rules the roost with some 65 percent of all airport traffic in and out.

A couple of days near the Rocky Mountains would chill you out nicely, then - onwards and upwards again.

Worth a try.

Toucan2 Oct 30th, 2006 05:35 AM

Looking forward to your trip report! I'm glad to hear you loved Zurich and can't wait to hear all you've done.

We live in the US Midwest, and the trip to Australia is a pretty long one for us too. There doesn't seem to be an easy layover. Last time, we had 9 hours in San Francisco! Can you imagine?

Anyway, I look forward to hearing your adventures.

Michael Oct 30th, 2006 08:34 AM

9 hours in SF? Things could be worse.

harzer Oct 30th, 2006 02:29 PM

I'm in Adelaide and can't face even a six-hour flight any more, so I put off going to Europe again from year to year in favour of SE Asia.

But my beloved wants me to do a three-month tour with her over there next year and so I guess I will manage the flight, but on a diet of Endep tablets.

Schoene Gruesse!

Harzer

Toucan2 Oct 30th, 2006 02:32 PM

Michael, that is indeed true!

Although eager to get to Sydney, there could be worse places for a layover(:

aussiedreamer Oct 30th, 2006 08:22 PM

We were very fortunate in that as I had booked direct with the airline i was able to secure exit aisle seats for all but the Singapore to Brisbane leg. Which makes a huge difference. I won't let it stop me traveling, but I am glad my points are getting racked up so I may be able to do a business class one next time.

Our next adventure (apparently) is to China..........yes, more planning. love it.

Back at work today, DH is very unwell something called "jetflu' not happy!!!

amandab Oct 30th, 2006 10:40 PM

Know exactly how you feel aussiedreamer. It isn't fair is it. I live in NZ and for me, it's an extra 3.5 hours added on to the trip to Europe. In December, it will take us 32 hours from Auckland to Vienna and thats just flying and stopover time, check in time and travel to and from airports is on top of that, it will be more like 40 hours. We'll be feeling fantastic when we arrive!! Blahhhhhh