Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Home base for Castle Day -- Neuschwanstein

Home base for Castle Day -- Neuschwanstein

Dec 9th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Home base for Castle Day -- Neuschwanstein

What is the best home base for a Castle day? We are comparing Fussen, Reutte, and Oberammergau. Any suggestions for a one night stay? We are looking for charming/non tourist type places. We will be driving from Rothenburg in July. Thanks.
Dec 9th, 2005, 06:06 PM

For one night, I'd stay in the village where the castles are located: Hohenschwangau.

A pleasant pension: http://www.albrecht-neuschwanstein.de/ Neuschwanstein Castle looms right overhead. Within easy walking distance of the Neuschwanstein/Hohenschwangau castles ticketcenter and the castle trails and roads. Free parking, breakfast included, private baths available.

A nice restaurant near Pension Albrecht is located in the Alpenhotel Meier: http://www.alpenhotel-allgaeu.de/engl/e-willkommen.htm
Dec 9th, 2005, 09:01 PM

Thanks for sites, how easy is it to get to Hohenschwangau by train? Barb
Dec 9th, 2005, 09:16 PM

We stayed in Fussen, very near the castles, only a few miles. Try to visit Oberammeragau, an adorable little town with all of its painted houses. It was a highlight of our trip
Dec 9th, 2005, 09:26 PM
rex

Mildly contrarian opinion:

It depends on where you're coming from, and where going to next (I realize that you've indicated that you are coming from Rothenburg - - my answer is partially generic for other interested readers on this thread). And equally whether you plan to include Schloss Linderhof in your plan(s) - - which, personally, I yhink that you should.

That said, I think that car rental is very appealing coming from Bavaria or central/western Austria (maybe even from Tyrolean Italy) - - and that Reutte is a very good choice. Coming from Munich, Linderhof is on the way to Reutte and can be seen on an afternoon drive, and still make Reutte for late lunch or early dinner. then, your next morning, there is no better advice than to get to Neuschwanstein EARLY (ideally, in line by 8-8:30 am) - - and I will be the first to admit that this will be even easier if you stay right there (at the base of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau).

Since you are coming from the (north)east, you might choose to make it ti Linderhof the same day (after N/H), especially if you are traveling further west after that.

I won't be dismissive about seeing these places by train; I just wouldn't have a clue how to go about it.

Best wishes,

Rex
Dec 10th, 2005, 03:34 PM

We, too, like to stay in Hohenschwangau itself when visiting the castle. We always stay at the Weiher, right below the castle in the village. (There are a couple of photos on our web page-- the index is warobison.com/ta -- see the student trips in 1992 and 1994). The Oswalds are gracious hosts, the rooms are inviting, the breakfast is a treat, and the price can't be beat. We were last there for three nights in the spring of 2004.

For BabsB-- There is no train directly to Hohenschwangau. The line ends in Fuessen. There is a fairly frequent bus that leaves from right behind the train station, but a taxi to Hohenschwangau from Fuessen is not very expensive.

Dec 10th, 2005, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the bus info warobison.
Dec 28th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Allow time to see BOTH castles when you visit Neuschwanstein. Some people only do the "Disney" castle. Do both of them. They were both Ludwig's, but one was actually lived in and has a lot of nice furnished rooms....Neuschwanstein does not have all areas furnished.

Just a tip.

As to where to stay. We have always done Garmisch on various trips to this area as all is pretty easy to get to via rental car. The advice on LINDERHOF is also good. On a clear, sunny summer day this place and the gardens is magnificient. Enjoy the trip.
Dec 28th, 2005, 08:29 PM

Am I the only person in the world to be quitr disappointed in Oberamergau?
And who would have known there's a NATO base right in the middle of town?
Dec 28th, 2005, 09:20 PM

Tomboy,
I loved Oberammergau at Christmas in the snow. Betsy, it is 20 miles or so from the castles so probably not your best base for castle day. It is near Linderhof and the Ettal Monastary. If you are going on to Munich from Castle day you can go that way and also stop at the Wieses Kirche (don't know if I spelled that right).

I think I must have missed something when I went through Reutte. I didn't find the charm there. I just seemed like a medium sized town with supermarkets and pizza joints. Fussen is smaller and has tons of charm in the central fussganger area. Hohenschwangau is very charming especially sitting right at the foot of the castle hills.
Dec 30th, 2005, 06:49 AM

With all the empahsis on Newschwanstein, and it is worthy, and Hohenschwangau nearby, there are other Ludwig castles worth seeing. Linderhof was encased in construction scaffolding last time I was there, but hopefully, is clear of it now. The grotto is unique. Herrenchiemsee is on an island in the Chiemsee, the largest lake wholey within Germany. It was to be Ludwig's answer to the Sun King's Versailles, but, alas, never completed. And, his birthplace an Nymphenberg. All are within doable drive of each other. If you are in Munich, you can drive to Herrinchiemsee and to Linderhof and to Neuschwanstein. I did Herrenchiemsee and Linderhof in one day, stayed in Fussen (Reutte would be good)and then saw Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. Did not do Nymphenberg.

I believe you'll have to take a bus to Schwangau site of the Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles.

Try http://www.tompgalvin.com/places/de/...gschlosser.htm

Dec 30th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Just to avoid any confusion--the Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles are located at the village of Hohenschwangau, up the road a bit from Schwangau.

Search this Thread