Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Holy week in Spain with Morocco side trip

Jan 7th, 2019, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Hello, we have booked a flight to Barcelona with a return flight from Madrid. We're looking into experiencing the holy week festival in Seville but haven't really completed our itinerary yet. We will be spending about 21 days. Currently this is how our itinerary looks like:

Day 1 - 4 Barcelona
Day 5 -8 (this would be wed-sat of holy week) - Seville
Day 9 onwards (no itinerary yet)

Last week will be spent in Morocco while last 4 days of 2nd week will be spentin Madrid (thursday - sunday)

In between our Seville and Madrid plans, we don't have any idea where to go yet. we have about 5 days here that we can use. Any recommendations?
Jan 8th, 2019, 01:24 AM

Cordoba or Malaga would be the obvious ones from Seville though you could throw in Cadiz, Jerez or Grenada depending on interests

Have you put your Morocco question on the Africa page?
Jan 8th, 2019, 01:51 AM

Is this for this year? I understand that Holy Week is a really big event in Spain and especially in Sevile, I would try to book a hotel as soon as possible. I think you can also reserve seats for the various processions which should be done asap.

Another Fodorite, Pegontheroad, has been there a number of times IIRC. Send her a PM asking for advice.
Jan 8th, 2019, 06:24 PM
kja

My recommendation: Get a good guidebook or two. The costs will be nominal in comparison to the cost of your trip, and you will have a wealth of information at your fingertips (including answers to questions you don't even know to ask).

Good luck!
Jan 8th, 2019, 10:48 PM

Spain and Morocco

Depending on your budget, you have plenty of time to find a place to stay in Sevilla during holy week, but try to decide sooner reather than later.

As far as Morocco goes, you'll need to figure out when and how you want to visit. Flights from Barcelona and Madrid are more frequent and less expensive then from Sevilla and Valencia. You can also get there by ferry (https://www.directferries.com/ferrie...to_morocco.htm).
Jan 9th, 2019, 03:05 AM

You will easily find budget accommodation in Sevilla but try to book ASAP.
Jan 9th, 2019, 09:56 AM

I don't know about how easy it will be to find budget places in Seville for Holy Week, most places double or triple their rates, but they are still reasonable compared to some other European cities. Some places are already booked up for that time period, of course.

Here is a good website for finding hostals which are B&B/pension-type places. They may not have 24/7 front desk, of course. There are some on there which run about 200 euro per night during that period, but there are vacancies
Hostal en Sevilla

I thikn Malaga is a great idea for the extra time, although it isn't really a natural route between Seville and Madrid. Cordoba would be. A couple days there and a couple in Toledo would be nice. I wouldn't want to spend 5 days in Cordoba. I guess with that many days, going to Malaga wouldn't be so bad. The train isn't direct between Cordoba and Toledo, though, you have to go to Madrid. I don't think ther eis a bus, either.
Jan 9th, 2019, 11:01 AM

Don't know your exact time frame, but remember that Ramadan starts on May 5th and may influence your time in Morocco.
Jan 9th, 2019, 11:03 AM

I stayed in Málaga for two of my Holy Week visits. It was great. My hotel was Hotel Don Curro, which is reasonably priced. I rented a seat from the hotel. The first time I had a fabulous seat--right in the first row across from the Hotel Lario. I could see everything and was able to take great pictures.The second year the seat was unacceptable. It was in the top row of the bleachers. I never did stay in that seat. I told the hotel that the seat was bad, and they gave me a different seat, closer to the processions but it wasn't too great either.

I don't know the secret of getting a good seat, except perhaps to arrange hotel reservations really early and to specify that you want a seat. Ask the hotel if you can cancel the seat reservation if the seat is unacceptable. For me, the cost was about $100 per seat. It's well worth it if you get a good seat. Otherwise you will be somewhere in a huge crowd of spectators 10 deep. The other option would be to just grab a good seat early in the day and then move if/when the owners show up.

In Sevilla, I stayed at the Hotel Zenit during Holy Week, which was reasonably priced, unlike other hotels in Sevilla. The usual hotels I have chosen in the past, places like las Casas de los Mercaderes, do double their prices, which apparently is common during Holy Week.

By the way, Thursday in Málaga is a great day, as the Spanish legion joins the procession. The legionnaires are very macho. Seeing them was a thrill for me. I saw them when they marched from their ship, but I wasn't smart enough to go to the seat I had rented so that I could see them again.
Jan 9th, 2019, 01:36 PM

Have you been to the Alhambra? I don't see it on your itinerary. I wouldn't miss the Alhambra! It's magnificent! You could spend 2 nights in Cordoba and 3 nights in Granada.
Jan 9th, 2019, 01:43 PM

That sounds really interesting for Malaga.

The Hotel Zenit is in the Triana area across the river which is a change for some folks. Its rates are 221 euro during Holy Week. I guess I think that's a sort of a lot, but the hotel I last stayed at in the Santa Cruz area was the HOtel Rey Alfonso X and it is 314 euro during this Holy Week, but only 120 euro in June. So 220 is a bargain compared to over 300 euro.
Jan 10th, 2019, 11:09 AM

Holy moley! My friend and I stayed at the Hotel Zenit in 2011. Obviously the price has risen since then, as I paid $223 for three days during Holy Week. (I was curious, since Christina had more recent information than I have, so I looked it up.) The only quote I could get was for a triple room, and the price was $500 plus for three days.

My advice would be to find a hotel SOON, as availability will worsen. I think finding a cheap room in Sevilla during Holy Week will be difficult if not impossible.
Jan 11th, 2019, 08:46 AM

We were in Morocco in the late 90s. We limited our travels to a round trip that included Marrakesh, Meknčs and Fez. We flew to and out of Marrakesh, then used train travel to the other cities, and returned to Marrakesh tby long distance bus following the foothills of the Atlas mountains. The bus was similar to the Mexican long distance buses in terms of comfort, We hired a local guide for Meknčs who took us to Volubilis and Moulay Idris for the day. My impression from recent tour group brochures is that Meknčs is less seen than Fez and Marrakesh, and yet it is definitely worth a visit. From Fez we went to a regional market in Azrou (long local bus ride into the foothills of the Atlas mountains) and to Sefrou on another day.

To whet your appetite:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjoUVige