Holy week in Seville (Spain)

Mar 29th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Holy week in Seville (Spain)

We will be staying near Sevilla (in Carmona) from Thursday to Sunday in the Holy Week and are wondering when to visit the famous processions in Sevilla. My questions are:
- On which day(s) shall we go to Sevilla?
- On what time of day shall we go there (morning, afternoon, evening)?
- What are the best places to watch the processions?
- Where shall we park our car (I understand that the city will be very crowded)?
- How is the city in general during these days, e.g. is is possible to stroll the old town, to visit the cathedral and Alcazar etc.?
Thank you very much.

Mar 29th, 2006, 08:02 AM

i was there a long time ago but rememember the processions vividly. they are all over-you can't miss them. be prepared-they look like kkkers in the hoods.
Mar 29th, 2006, 08:48 AM

I was in Sevilla and Jerez last year for Semana Santa . Check with the Tourist Office there - they will have a schedule of when each procession starts and from where (which usually is where it returns also). As for position - if you don;t have a seat ina stand you still have a good chance of getting a good viewing just by arriving before the procession goes by. I remember seeing processions mainly in the afternoon and the evening. I happened to be at the Cathedral one night and saw one of the pasos slowly enter the Cathedral. I visted numerous sights during Semana Santa with no problem. Can't help you with car issues as I didn't have one.
Mar 30th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Mar 30th, 2006, 03:00 AM

I remember parking in Seville one Good Friday morning.By the afternoon it was buried behind 3 layers of other cars - not accessible until next day.Seville is not a car fiendly place, also cars with non-Seville plates are targetted by thieves.Processions go on till about 2am.(when the macerena exits the basilica late)