Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Holy pocketchange batman! the euro is coming....

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 07:00 AM
robin

So, lets have some first hand info...what's the buzz? This from someone who has a hard time counting change from mickey d's.....

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 07:15 AM
sss

FUNNY BATBOY
was going to attempt a catwoman impression but that called for too many rolling rrrs.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Diane

I believe there is a rolling grace period -- but at cambios,etc you will get Euro currency. The Giant food stores in the Washington DC area are using the change-over (pun possibly intended?) as a fund-raising opportunity to feed the needy. If you have extra foreign currency sitting around in your dresser drawers, or what ever, you can donate it at any of the Giant supermarkets and they'll take care of getting it all converted to US $$. Kind of an original idea, I think. (However, you may want to save "one of each" if you know anyone who collects currency. I suspect it will be worth more than face value someday.)

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 08:12 AM
Florence

Well, living in Geneva, I have the worst of two worlds: On the Swiss side, everybody is trying to figure out Swiss Francs against Euros in less than 5 days after a few centuries of being used to French Francs (especially since 1 Sfr is worth 5 FFr, which is easy and makes everybody feel richer and superior, but will be 0,75 Euros, which is impractical and annoying), and on the French side everybody is trying to figure out how they will survive this new change while having not completely recovered from the change to the "new francs" in 1959 ... Many French still count in "ancients francs" (= 100 "new francs") and will be at a complete loss with the Euro.
Looking into my crystal ball, I foresee a pretty mess during the first few weeks ...

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 11:26 AM
robin

The bat-scanner shows the same as your crystal ball Florence. I wonder is anyone planning to horde their particular currency? Any forseen problems getting the new notes? Stay tuned, same bat-time, same bat-channel...