My girl and I are trying to decide where to go for New Year's and the choice is down to Switzerland, Rome, Barcelona and Amsterdam.
1. In Switzerland we would stay in Zurich (can't change this for another city) and would visit Lugano, Geneva, Luzern and Bern. We don't know much about Switzerland but we know it is pretty expensive and that it has beautiful nature. Does the nature thing apply to these cities as well or that's only for the mountains? Is there enough to see and do there without breaking the bank?
We would stay in a hotel that's 20min tram ride from the city center, so does anyone know until what time does the public transport operates and how much are the tickets?
2. In Rome we would stay in the city center. Would visit Vatican and Pompeii and maybe something else. I know there's more than enough to see there but the Trevi Fountain, which we would love to see, would be closed due to restoration.
3. In Barcelona we would stay in the city center. Everybody says how beautiful the city is but, looking at the pictures, I don't know what is so beautiful. Is it really?
4. In Amsterdam we would also stay in city center. We have already been in Ams last new year's but we absolutely loved it but maybe it's better to see something new.
We are 24 and 22. We don't really care about night clubs or museums. We like to walk around beautiful and fun places. We want the city to have things to do and things to try like sangria in Barcelona for example (read: traditional and some would say touristy things). We like cities like Amsterdam with it's vibrancy and where everything is open 'till late. We want to be able to try some traditional food and drinks but we don't like to spend too much money in expensive and fancy restaurants on our trips. We prefer to eat in cafes, pubs and street vendors.
I like new year's and Christmassy atmosphere, which I think we wouldn't find in Barcelona. Weather is not a big issue in Amsterdam where everything is near but we wouldn't want rain in Barcelona (everything other than rain is ok).
Thank your for reading and every comment would be appreciated, cheers!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 where to buy baby gifts in paris?
- 2 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 3 Recommendations Budget hotel Paris
- 4 Wedding In Cambridge England
- 5 Once upon a time in Italy
- 6 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 7 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 8 Copying a post on Swiss gondolas.
- 9 Chinese new year festivities in Paris
- 10 beware of robbed in Milan
- 11 GTG Paris December 2017
- 12 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 13 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 14 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 15 Paris November 2017
- 16 Christmas day lunch in prague
- 17 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 18 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann 2017
- 19 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 20 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 21 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 22 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 23 Lost property at Fiumicino airport Rome
- 24 Where to stay for Mont Saint-Michel
- 25 Barcelona to Malaga