Reload this Page >

Holland during tulip season

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Sailor

I'm headed to the Netherlands at the end of April. What city would be the best place to base myself (besides Amsterdam) for this avid gardener to do some "floral sightseeing?" I was considering Haarlem, Lisse, or perhaps Rotterdam--any hostel/budget accomodation recommendations for any of these cities? What about Apeldoorn? <BR><BR>I'll be travelling by bus or train. I've only got about a week and I've already scheduled some time in Amsterdam to coincide with Queen's Day <BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Beth

topper

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Russ

Hiya, Sailor. I stayed at a hostel in Kaag many tulip seasons ago and biked through the fields and to Keukenhof - great fun - but the hostel's history now. Highly recommend the bike experience (get a good map, too.)<BR><BR>For other hostels try www.njhc.nl/english/herbergen.cfm<BR><BR>The one in Noordwijkerhout might work for you - not a long bike ride to Lisse - but the closest station is probably Voorhout, a bit to the south.<BR><BR>Check out the "Slot Assumburg" castle/hostel north of Haarlem! about 2 km from the nearest station, with a bus connection.<BR><BR>I've stayed at the Haarlem hostel myself several times. Nice remodel recently, but it tends to attract bus groups now that it's bigger. Bar and patio on the canal is still pretty nice. 20 min. walk to the Santpoort Zuid station, 2 stops north of Haarlem station. Bike path to beach and points south next to the hostel.<BR><BR>You might try these links for B&B's:<BR><BR>www.bedandbreakfast.nl<BR><BR>http://www.nord-holland-tourist.nl/u...s/welcome.html <BR><BR>www.zuid-hollandinfo.nl/nederlands/welcome.html<BR><BR>The seaside town of Noordwijk isn't bad and has a good website: www.vvvnoordwijk.nl<BR><BR>Hope I got those links right and that you enjoy yourself. I'll be in Holland in 3 weeks. woo hoo!<BR><BR>Russ<BR><BR>Russ

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 07:41 PM
BetsyB

Don't miss the amazing tulips at Keukenhof in Lisse. We went 2 years ago and are returning with 8 friends the end of April this year. There are acres and acres of tulips, daffodils and other bulbs. We took about 500 slides and several videos! We are also scheduled to go to the Floriade, an exhibition of floral and garden displays only held every 10 years. <BR><BR>Other flower related suggestions are: The flower auction in Aalsmeer, the Botanical Garden in Leiden (started in 1574), Palace Het Loo in Apeldoorn, the gardens of Mien Ruys. <BR><BR>Some of our favorite nonfloral places are: Delft, the 19 windmills at Kinderdijk, Giethoorn (sometimes called the Venice of the North), and The Hague. On the outskirts of The Hague is the fascinating "miniature city" of Maduradam where they have replicas of all the important buildings around Holland. <BR><BR>Enjoy your stay in Holland!!!<BR><BR>Does anyone know the best way to get from the airport to Keukenhof without a car.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 07:45 PM
smiley

try volendam, it's a lovely small town right on the coast! also the trip between volendam and larger cities like Amsterdam is breathtaking. It's so quaint and picturesque.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Mark

A couple weeks ago the Washington Post Sunday Magazine ran an interesting article on tulips and the Holland tulip industry. Sounds like it's must reading for you. Try www.washingtonpost.com. Maybe you can find it in their web archives. Have a great trip!