Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Holidays in the Canary Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/holidays-in-the-canary-islands-343784/)

Blueblue Apr 15th, 2008 07:51 AM

Holidays in the Canary Islands

Hi, everybody!

I would like to travel to the Canary Islands this sommer, but I do not know where to go...

Has anyone ever been there? Can you recommend me any rent a car's company too?

Thanks!

Patitude Apr 15th, 2008 08:01 AM

Hi Blueblue!!!

Fuerteventura is the best one!!!! It is AWESOME!!! I wanna go there when I am older to stay there 4eva!!
When we and my family went there, we hired a car in http://www.top-car-hire.com and it was grand. They are just at the airport but you must book it before you go, I mean, through their web.
You must hire a car, or you wont see the island!!! it is a bit boring but it has fantastic landscapes!!!

Have fun there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel jealous!

Patitude Apr 15th, 2008 08:11 AM

Hey! have a look of this!!!
http://www.canarias7.es/multimedia/i...rteventura.jpg

hetismij Apr 15th, 2008 09:21 AM

What are you looking for in a Canary Island holiday? Fueneventura/Tenerife/Gran Canaria/Lanzarote offer a very different sort of holiday to La Palma/La Gomera/El Hierro. The latter three are not very touristy, certainly the last two have very few tourists. La Palma has some tourist development on the east coast, the west coast is nicer, warmer and less developed. They do not have much in the way of beaches - those on La Palma for instance are black. Walking is good on them, a car is not essential on La Palma as there are good bus services, but it is nice to have. wwww.islalapalma.com has lots of info on La Palma.

There is more info on all the islands here: www.canaryislandsmap.co.uk/

Blueblue Apr 16th, 2008 03:40 AM

Thank you very much, Patitude and hetismij!

I have seen the photo and webs and in my opinion Fuerteventura is wonderful, like a paradise!

We will go there!

Thanks!

Cowboy1968 Apr 16th, 2008 03:58 AM

Fuerteventura will be your paradise if you like beaches, and beaches, and beaches. It's the Canaries' sand box.

Lanzarote has a few golden beaches (at the southern tip), but mostly black sand beaches, and lots of volcanos (inactive right now). Together with lots of land art it may be considered the archipiegalo's most "bizarre" island.

Both islands are arid/ have a desert climate. Rain is very rare. So is vegetation (except where irrigated). So don't expect a Garden of Eden (outside of irrigated hotel complexes).

Gran Canaria and Tenerife are the biggest islands with a substantial infrastructure for tourism. Southern coasts are arid, northern coasts get some rain. So you have deserts and (almost) rain forest climate seperated by a mere 50-100km.

La Palma, La Gomera and El Hierro already got described by hetismij.

hetismij Apr 16th, 2008 05:03 AM

I love La Palma, but then one of my dogs comes from there so I have a special bond with the place.

Maria_H Apr 16th, 2008 07:24 AM

I have been to Fuerteventura, Lanzarote and Tenerife, though we did visit some beaches, that wasn't our only reason for going to the islands. All these islands have tourist resorts suitable for those who just want to spend their time between the beach and the various clubs and bars in lively resorts. It is however, also possible to avoid that kind of tourism if (like us) that is not your sort of thing, especially if you hire a car and get out and about.

Fuerteventura has the best beaches but possibly the most barren landscape. It is possible to do some exploring and walking in less touristy parts of the island.

Lanzarote has some quite interesting places to visit, including the various Cesar Manrique places - a cactus garden, the foundation (his home built into a lava flow) and the caves. Also the tour up the volcano is worth a visit.

The north of Tenerife has some fantastic mountainous scenery, including the incredible area round Mount Teide. There is plenty of scope for a walking holiday, with lush scenery and the wierd volcanic areas. The north of the island has more rainfall and hence kush vegetation banana plantations, etc.

It realy depends on your interests and the trype of holiday you are looking for, which island you would like the best.

frankisthechamp Apr 18th, 2008 03:24 PM

I am currently planning to go to Fuerteventura (at least) in the beginning of May. And was wondering if it is necessary to have a car on Fuerteventura...And if it is necessary which other islands can you get by without a car.

kenderina Apr 18th, 2008 03:37 PM

You can get it without a car...but if there is some place where it is really easy to drive is the Canary Islands. Very few traffic except the two capitals (Santa Cruz and Las Palmas) and hiring a car is very cheap there :) It is not a must but it will make your visit more comfortable.. bus schedules sometimes are short (few trips each day).