Holiday at French vineyards

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 09:40 PM
Ching

Holiday at French vineyards

I would like to visit Southern France and hopefully get to stay at a vineyard for a week or 2. Are there any vineyards that rent out rooms? Are there any other places with vineyards within Europe?

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 12:30 AM
Martha

Ching-- We have never stayed in a vineyard in France, but we have enjoyed staying in other places in the group, "Chateaux Demeures de Tradition et Grandes Etapes de Vignobles" which includes a number of vineyards. Mailing address: B.P.40 F - 13717 Roquevaire Cedex France. This does not, by any means, exhaust all the possible accommodations in vineyards. Some of the others are listed in "Chambres d'Hotes Prestige and Gites de Charme" from Gites de France, 59 rue St. Lazare 75439 Paris Cedex 09 France. <BR>We did enjoy staying in a vineyard in the Tuscany region of Italy. In a guidebook, I just found a relevant address; Associazione nazionale per l'Agriturismo, l'Ambiente e il Territorio, corso Vittorio Emanuele 101, 00186 Rome, Italy. <BR>I think that almost any wine producing region would have some growers and/or vintners who offer bed and breakfast accommodations-- so you can choose your favorite wine and work from there! Martha

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 07:24 PM
Ching

Martha, thanks for the info. But where are the vineyards under the group -"Chateaux Demeures de Tradition et Grandes Etapes de Vignobles" ? I will look out for the other addresses that U gave me. Thanks.

Old Sep 1st, 1998, 07:12 AM
Martha

Ching-- Checking every listing in Chateaux, etc., most are fairly upscale and in vignobles (wine producing areas) not vineyards. Does have vineyard listing for Burgundy-- and a distillery in Cognac. If you're interested in specific addresses in South West France, e-mail me direct. As a fairly long shot, you could also try checking the Maison de Vin for the vignoble of your choice. When I checked at the local Maison de Vin, the secretary was very helpful, but she told me it was the first time anyone had ever asked her about accommodations at the "exploitations vinticultures." Martha

Old Sep 1st, 1998, 01:12 PM
Amy

Dear Ching, <BR>My family just returned from a trip to France where we focused heavily on vineyards. The very best place we stayed was in St. Emilion in Bordeaux and it was called Chateau de Roques. They make their own wine, give you a tour of their winery, and you can spend the night in their extremely beautiful chateau, surrounded by vineyards everywhere you look. We found the place in an American guide book, put out by "Access" and called something like France: The Wine Country. We bought it at Barnes & Noble, or you could probably find it at Amazon.com. <BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 1998, 03:43 AM
Martha

Amy-- What a good tip. Even if Ching doesn't order the book, I think I will. St. Emilion is our favorite, moderately priced, red Bordeaux. Thanks. Martha