Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Solo trip to Greece - looking for advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2016, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, 30m here (single), heading to Europe next year (either in May/June), I plan to head to Greece before meeting up with friends in Italy. I'd like to do Greece solo - what are some must see places in Greece? I'd like to do Athens and the islands (Mykonos, Santorini, open to suggestions)...since I'm going solo I'd like to stay near other traveler's.

When I travel I'm usually pretty social so I like being in places where I can chat with people at night. I'd also like to explore Greek history (I am a lover of the ancient Greek myths and The Iliad) while I am there, as well as soak in some R&R, and be near some night life. Any good hotel/hostel recommendations? How early should I book hotels and hostels? I'd like to spend 5 - 7 days in Greece. For one or two nights I would be okay splurging on a fancy hotel.

Edit: My last day in Greece will need to be in a location that can fly to Rome.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 04:21 PM

Mykonos sounds as if it might be a fit for you. May is quieter but by at least by mid to late May nightlife is picking up and is easily found, especially in Mykonos town. By June it's busier. I enjoy visiting both of these months but occasionally weather in May can be unpredictable.

This year I used a morning flight direct from the island to Rome Fiumicino. The same flights, by Vueling Airlines, are showing as operating in 2017. Vueling also flies direct to Rome from Santorini.

Happy to recommend some Mykonos hotels but it would be helpful if you could give an idea of your daily budget for accommodation. Also, using Booking.com, you can enter what you'd prefer to pay and it will give you hotels in that range.

Personally I always book early but some island hotels at this time of year will be closed and you may have to wait longer than usual before they get back to you IF you use their own websites. I think they pre-load up to Booking.com and it may be able to give you instant confirmation.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

> Happy to recommend some Mykonos hotels but it would be helpful if you could give an idea of your daily budget for accommodation.

I'd love to know some Mykonos hotels, do you know some that are in central areas? I'd prefer to be close to restaurants, bars, beach, etc and be able to walk everywhere. I'd prefer to spend under $150/night if possible.

> Personally I always book early but some island hotels at this time of year will be closed

Hotels are closed in July? (I'm actually planning to go in July - but I can't edit my post).

Is it best to book through hotel website or booking.com? Also, how many weeks/months should one book in advance?

Cheers!
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 10:18 PM

What Jon meant is that some hotels are closed in winter and don't check their emails regularly then. July is a very busy period, so of course all the hotels are open at that time of summer.

The good news for you about Mykonos is that the archaeological site at Delos is only 30 minutes by shuttle boat from the Mykonos old harbour. Delos is one of he best archeological sites in Greece, a great place to indulge your love of Greek myths.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 05:50 AM

>> I'd like to do Athens and the islands <<

Why the islands? - It is always some hassle to travel to and from an island and each island has limited opportunities.

Think rather about the Peloponnese which is almost an island and has anything to offer that you can wish - great scenery, some of the best archeological sites (Mycenae, Tyrins, Messene, Olympia, Epidaurus, Corinth and more), some of the world's best beaches, charming towns, Byzantine monasteries, medieval castles.. and everything easy to reach by car from Athens.

And within a few hours driving from Athens, you find spectacular sites like Delphi, Cape Sounio, Meteora, Hosios Loukas and also several excellent beaches just south of Athens.

So, why always "the islands"? Are there guidebooks or travel sites telling you "go to the islands"? I am really wondering.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 07:15 AM

traveller1959

For someone traveling solo the islands in the summer are a great opportunity to socialize and have a great time.
I myself did it many times as a student and had a blast on islands like Mykonos.
You already get to know people on the boat, and you end up making many new friends to hang out with, go to the beach or explore the nightlife.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 04:29 PM

bizkitgto

Heimdall got it right. I meant that if you email a hotel at this time of year you might have to be patient to get a reply as many owners take some time off as the hotels are closed.

You say you will be travelling to the island in July. This is peak period and town-centre hotels in your budget may be difficult to find. Those I was about to recommend could accommodate you for less than $160 per night outside the peak period but not in July.

Here are some though worth checking out. The first is Hotel Carbonaki. It’s in a great town location, a few minutes’ walk to restaurants and bars but in a quiet area. Operated by a very nice family too. Using some random dates I’ve just looked at their rates for 2 nights from 3rd July and it is $160 but without breakfast.

http://carbonaki.gr/

Another I know well is the Elena Hotel. It is showing rooms with breakfast for the same dates a little over at $163 but that includes breakfast. Their site is being re-vamped but some info is available including online reservations. It’s also in a great town location, just at the end of Rochari Lane and again in a quiet area only a few minutes stroll to what you are looking for:

http://www.elenamykonos.gr/

Another that gets rave reviews on T.A. is Hotel Tagoo. Just looked at the same dates on their site and they are within your range but they are not town-central, just outside it but in walking distance.

http://www.hoteltagoo.gr/

Have a look at them all on TripAdvisor and check out their reviews.

As I mentioned, please go to booking.com look for Mykonos hotels for the dates you will be there and you will find it allows you to enter your budget per night and will then give you hotels within that range. If you see some that interest you, folks here might be able to give you further information. I only mention this because some say they are in Mykonos City but that doesn't mean town-centre.

I agree 100% with Heimdall about Delos. With your interests, you’d love every minute of a trip there.
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 01:11 AM

I don't know about the island, but in Athens if you want to socialize with young people you might want to stay in a hostel, not hotel. There are plenty of nice clean hostel in Athens with a cheap price. I traveled solo to Athens too, I stayed in a hostel which had a bar and then a view on the Acropolis that was stunning. Sorry I don't remember its name, and maybe it's too cheap for you, but you can look at booking.com, enter your dates, and pick one of the highest rated hostels that they show you, it can't go wrong
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 01:17 AM

I remember my hostel in Athens now, it's Pella Inn Hostel. But you can choose any other, do as I advised above - choose some hostels on booking.com of high review note, for example any hostel with more than 9 points would be great. I quite trust the review system of that website. For Athens you don't need to look too soon either, sprind would be good, their price is low all year round. In winter perhaps you won't find them all in the list.