Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Hking to see views OF the Little Yellow Train not just FROM it

Hking to see views OF the Little Yellow Train not just FROM it

Nov 28th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Hking to see views OF the Little Yellow Train not just FROM it

I'm planning a trip to Europe next spring. I'll be moving around randomly on a Eurailpass, looking especially for pretty, scenic train rides. I've found out about the Little Yellow Train in southeastern France, near Perpignan. It's a no brainer trip for me. I'll definitely devote a day to that ride!

But one thing I like to do on trips like that is to get to a point where I can SEE the train going by, especially when it goes over sights like the vertigo-inducing Séjourné Viaduct with its dramatic double-decker arching. That means getting off the train and walking or hiking to a nearby viewpoint.

Obviously someone has done this, because I've seen photos of the viaduct with the train crossing it. I'd love to take a photo like that myself. But I haven't found any websites so far that explain hiking or walking trails along the route of the train, so I don't know how feasible it'd be for ME to do something like that.

Can anyone either tell me how I might do it or point me to somewhere my Googling hasn't found for me so far? Thx.
Nov 28th, 2011, 07:21 AM

You could try to contact the person who took this picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenny_pic/5790834411/

although I suspect that it is taken from a curve on the road.
Nov 28th, 2011, 07:21 AM

Well I have taken Le Petit Train Jeune a couple of times and agree with you expectations - the train stops many many times and you can hike between stations. I got off and hiked up to some ski resort and had birds' eyes views of the tiny train as it putzed thru the valley far below. I first read about the Little Yellow Train at www.budgeteuropetravel.com site and it may have more info - not sure but also check out www.ricksteves.com for possible details. I would get a large-scale Michelin map and then you can easily see the course of the train and hiking trails (GR - Grand Randonees (sp?) or footpaths more correctly.
Nov 28th, 2011, 08:49 AM

There is a trail from Fontpedrouse to La Cabanasse near Mont-Louis along the Yellow Train track.

See : http://www.sunfrance.com/decouvrir/l...le_train_jaune

and contact one of the addresses given at the bottom of the page to get their "guide de randonnée" or "randofiches".
Nov 28th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Great replies, all! Thank you very much.
Nov 28th, 2011, 10:04 AM

PALENq : theonly GR Rick Steeves would know of is the one going from one end of rue Cler to the other.
Nov 28th, 2011, 10:46 AM

GR Rick Steeves would know of is the one going from one end of rue Cler to the other OR to the Vespasienne at the end of Rue Cler!

Search this Thread