Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hitch hiking in Eastern Europe, good idea, anyone?

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm heading to Eastern Europe in a couple of weeks. Last year, I pre-booked all my train tickets online. This year, I just thought maybe I can get the train tickets there on the spot.

Another alternative I thought of was- hitch hiking. Is it a good idea to hitch hike? Are there even guarantees that the drivers will stop for you to pick you up? How safe is it to hitchhike in Eastern Europe? And how many people would be too many?

Anybody's done hitchhiking before? I surely think it must be an interesting experience.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 01:37 PM

i canīt imagine anyone will tell you it is safe to hitch hike anywhere anymore.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 01:57 PM

You're young, and I'm not, but I remember the point of view: "it's easy; they're helpful people who will thoughtfully give me a ride in the direction I wish".
When I was your age, I hitched to school every day. My brother hitched from college on the East Coast to our home in the Midwest. When I was a teenager, big headlines in the paper....a girl was raped!!! The paper was the Detroit News (5th largest city in the US at the time), and to my awareness, it was the only rape in the paper that year. Now, either the paper had a policy of not printing stories of rape, or there weren't many.
Now, 50 years later, a rape has to be sensational to even make the paper (such as the Totenham girl who had lye poured on her this week). Murder has become so commonplace that it only makes headlines if it's CSI-bizarre. And I couldn't count the number of stories I've read in the last 10 years of drivers murdering hitchhikers, and vice versa.

So to you, hitching seems logical, and it is. To you, the world as it is today is normal, because that's the only world you've lived in. But in a world of increasingly and less-9nfrequent illogicalites such as murder, it isn't logical, because it's not as safe as it used to be. That's a perspective I have that youth can't have, because I have witnessed a safer, saner world than that of today. I hope you make a wise choice, and go by train.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Hitch hiking is not safe anywhere.

Very few people will stop to pick you up - unless you're a single woman (and then I don;t think I would want to get in).

For more than one person hitching I can;t imagine anyone would take the chance of picking up strangers - esp 2 guys.

Suggest you try buses if trains are too expensive.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 04:50 PM

There are ride share programs on the Internet for travel within Europe. One site I can't remember is German. I doubt I would want to use these either, but they're more appealing than randomly hitchhiking.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your input! I wasn't seriously considering it, but sometimes it's good to live spontaneously right? To let go all inhibitions once in a while.

but yeah, I guess I won't hitch hike then!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 12:46 PM

We have been touring Europe by motorhome for 16 months and have seen a few hitch hikers, but not many.

The funniest couple ( a young man and woman) we saw in Croatia as we were driving from Trogir to Plitivice park. We saw them THREE times hitching on the way and they just beat us there I( we stayed at the same lovely campsite).

I would not recommend it though. ( I did use to hitch hike with my brother occasionally when I was young, but it did always make me nervous even then).
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM

There's a difference between ignoring inhibitions - go walk down Picadilly naked if you want - and putting your life on the line.

Part of becoming an adult is learning the difference.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 04:59 AM
ira

>sometimes it's good to live spontaneously right? To let go all inhibitions once in a while.

Make sure you use protection.

Good advice from tomboy.

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 05:18 AM

In Russia, it was common a few years ago to flag down a passing car for a lift somewhere. You would pay a few roubles for this and would see people everywhere doing this. That was went the most common car was a Zhiguli. I don't think the drivers of BMWs and Mercedes would stop nowadays and I have not seen anyone flagging down cars in the cities. Taxis were not common then and in some parts of Russia this might still go on.

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

lol! Ira!

I am living in Russia, and yes it's true, people flag each other down constantly and it's really a common thing. Normally you just have a chat with the driver, see if he/she's heading towards the direction that you are.

Once my friend said he flagged down a hummer, who dropped him off at a metro station along the road.

I never had such luck though.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:28 AM

I saw all sorts of people hitching in Romania a couple of years ago. Older ladies, families with kids, everyone standing on the side of the road sort of waving in an up-and-down motion. Very commonplace. But as soon as they looked at us through the windshield rolling slowly through a small town, they'd always stop waving, so I would assume that they'd have not taken a ride with a foriegner. Or maybe they just thought we looked like axe murderers or bad drivers. I'd guess though that'd work the opposite way too and you'd have a hard time getting a lift.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:31 AM

A friend from Eastern Europe once said to us " Be careful - there are people here who would kill you for a yellow button". ( must be a local expression)
I guess , it applies to any part of the world.