Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hiroshi, must sees in Gibraltar? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hiroshi-must-sees-in-gibraltar-311482/)

parisgrl Apr 28th, 2003 10:00 AM

Hiroshi, must sees in Gibraltar?

Thanks for the information.
I really want to go to Gibraltar, but if I do, it will sadly be just a few hours' daytrip.
Any recommendations for must see sights? I dont want to see the monkeys. I had an "experience" with a monkey in Malaysia that cost me a very painful rabies shot.
Is the Rock really worth it, should I climb it or take the gondola up?
Any recommendations on an easy (re: public transportation) way to get there from Tarifa?
Thanks a lot for your help.

Budman Apr 28th, 2003 12:13 PM

If you have a car, drive up the Rock. St. Michael's Cavern was worthwhile, also there are some WWII tunnels. We had a tour guide who took us to all the places. There are some great views over to Africa and down the coast.

Hiroshi May 5th, 2003 02:30 PM

Sorry for the delay for I am in Florida now. I don't check the internet too often when travelling.

There are several things to do in Gibraltar. Some will be interesting to some and boring to others.

There is a Moorish castle on the north end of the Rock. A bit further north are some bunkers for cannons which overlook the airport and Spain. The airport runway bisects the main street and cars must stop for planes.

The Rock is actually two peaks. Some people walk up, but others take the cable car up and walk to the other peak then down.

There is a cave inside the rock where concerts are sometimes held. The cave was thought to go very deep and come out to Africa, but explorers have proven this belief as false.

There is some duty free shopping in High Street. The prices are better than the UK (slightly better) but not cheaper than American Wal Mart (where things are cheaper than Japan).

You can see the Napoleanic cannon (I forgot the real name). There is a lighthouse (closed to the public) at the southern tip. Nearby is a plaque and a good view of the Rock and Africa.

There is a changing of the guard ceremony.

I ate at the Chicago Restaurant which served hamburgers.

Gibraltar stamps your passport without having to ask.

The main attraction is the Prudential Insurance Company Rock. Unlike American stadiums, the Rock has not been renamed for a company!

Figaro May 5th, 2003 03:26 PM

When we were there 2 summers ago, we parked our car in Spain and walked across the border to Gibraltar - there were taxis there for hire - for a fee (I can't remember what it was, there were 9 of us and 2 taxis. but it was about 10 pounds each), we had a 2 hour tour of the rock, from bottom to top and down again. We stopped all along the way for viewing, got great information from the drivers and visited St. Michael's Cave, the tunnel (admission to both was included in the fare), and we did stop and see the monkeys - if you don't want to see them, tell the driver to continue on. The hired cars could go on roads that are only open to taxis and busses. It was a great way to get a quick tour.

Maira May 5th, 2003 03:36 PM

There is a spot on Gibraltar call Europa Point, from where, on a clear day, you can see the coast of Africa, very beautiful sight. To get there, head out towards the Royal Navy Base, this is about the only clear landmark I remembered; it is located around there.