Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hiring a driver near Sant' Alfio (Catania)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

My wife and I will be in Sicily (seven nights), in late October/early November, staying at an agriturismo near the village of San't Alfio, which is about one hour from Catania.

After reading about the challenges of driving in Sicily, we have decided to hire a local driver (should speak English, not a tour guide) to take us on long day trips to places like Syracusa, Taormina, Modica, Ragusa, possibly Agrigento, possibly Palermo with an overnight stay (for one night we would be willing to pay for the driver's hotel room and food).

If necessary, we would be willing to share ride a vehicle with another person or two, providing our itineraries were closely matched.

Does anyone have any experience with, or advice about, "affordable" local private drivers in this part of Sicily who might meet our needs?

Grazie!
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 09:13 AM

What's 'affordable'? If used to driving in Europe Sicily is no different than other places - I'd contact Catania Tourist Info for a recommended list of such services if no one here can help.
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 09:27 AM

Get in touch with Benny Grasso. I am not sure how much he charges for all day tours but I know he does them.
He is based in Acireale but he is the transfer contact for an agriturismo I stay at which is close to Sant Alfio.
You can find his contact info here - Taxi Acireale
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Happy to report we connected with Benny Grasso and all went very well. Benny provided excellent service, remained flexible, and was reasonable, all things considered. Our experience with Benny began when he picked us up at the Catania airport, flashing our names on a big piece of cardboard. Off we went to Sant' Alfio, a small village on the slopes of Mount Etna and home to Case Perrotta agriturismo.

At the appointed time each travel day, Benny would show up at the gates of Case Perrotta in his Mercedes van. We enjoyed several remarkable outings with Benny--Syracusa, Piazza Amerina, Ragusa, Riviera of the Cyclops, etc.. Know that Benny often conducts business on the phone while driving but no matter. He was hired as a driver, not a licensed tour guide, and he answered plenty of questions and offered many helpful suggestions. He was a gem!

While at the agriturismo (a former monastery serving fine Sicilian meals), the staff (wonderful people all!) mentioned another local motorist, Mario, who drives people up Etna for moderately challenging, guided hiking tours. We booked Mario by phone and were really glad we did ... what a great resource he proved to be! The entire Etna hiking experience with him was amazing. Highly recommended.

On our way back from the excursion early that afternoon, we floated another idea. With enough time in the day to do something else, would Mario take us to Taormina? A quick phone call to his wife, Rita, and the deal was done, with one caveat: Rita wanted to go along! No problem, we loved the idea and enjoyed her company despite the language barrier (we don't speak Sicilian). The day ended with the four of us enjoying a fine dinner at a good seafood restaurant outside Taormina.

We loved Mario's enthusiasm and flexibility, so we posed another question. Would Mario be available for a different outing? We weren't sure exactly where but we had been thinking of heading north of Sant' Alfio, in the direction of Castiglione di Sicilia and several hill towns in the region. Mario was very taken with this idea but had to check--again--with Rita. After a lengthy phone conversation with her, he announced, "I will plan the excursion!"

Sure enough, Mario spent that evening doing his homework and the next day we were committed to his itinerary: a "Godfather tour" to Savoca and points between. For those who don't know, Savoca is the small hill town where Sicilian wedding and village scenes in the Godfather were filmed. We hadn't planned to go there but what the heck. Mario was leading the way and we were going to follow, wherever it led!

ith our permission, this time Mario drove his cuddly 1980 Fiat 900 T Pulmino, a classic yellow van nicknamed "Catarina 1." The vehicle itself was priceless, and we couldn't believe it when Mario produced a bag of flat hats of the sort seen atop Sicilian mobster noggins in the aforementioned movie. We each got one. Perfect!

Joining us at the last minute was Arnaud, a fellow guest at Case Perrotta (Arnaud, a native of France who now lives in Barcelona, was on a celebratory birthday excursion, hiking the highest reaches of Etna and another nearby volcano ... volcano climbing being his "thing." And there was Rita, too, of course, sitting in the far back seat. Plenty of room!

It was all Catarina 1 (35 bhp!) could do to chug up some of the steep hills with five people on board but she was game and we stayed strong (despite the lack of seat belts). Thanks to Mario, his recorded music (including "Godfather" theme music, of course), and a little of his singing-on-the-go, it became one of those incredible travel experiences that cannot be adequately described.

It was more than Savoca (itself a genuinely traditional old Sicilian hill town worth seeing on its own merits) or the sometimes cheesy Godfather references. Rather, it was the unique experience of traveling free and easy in a wheezing old Italian van in the company of an enthusiastic, lovable Sicilian driver and his music, his wonderful Sicilian spouse, and a veteran volcano climber from Spain ... venturing through the beautiful hills and valleys of northeast Sicily, stopping in neat villages along the way before arriving in Savoca and all its traditional charm. Later that day, as the five of us settled in for an enjoyable meal and superb Sicilian wine, all was right with the world. Hats off to everyone, and to the excursion drivers who make these life-enhancing experiences possible!
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 05:29 PM

What a great adventure! Thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 04:04 PM

Sounds great - thanks for reporting back sounds great - thanks for reporting back.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 10:13 PM

I did not realize you were staying at Case Perrotta. It is a beautiful place. I am really glad Benny worked out for you, and Marco sounds like a lot of fun. Next time I am there I will ask for his contact info.
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 03:23 PM

Fantastic tale! So glad you came back and reported on your experiences! I've been musing about a trip to Catania and around so Benny's info might come in handy for me next year..thank you.
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 11:29 AM

Seeking Sicily driver resources transfers/day trips ..Sherwoodforest ? Mario contact

Originally Posted by sherwoodforest
Happy to report we connected with Benny Grasso and all went very well. Benny provided excellent service, remained flexible, and was reasonable, all things considered. Our experience with Benny began when he picked us up at the Catania airport, flashing our names on a big piece of cardboard. Off we went to Sant' Alfio, a small village on the slopes of Mount Etna and home to Case Perrotta agriturismo.

At the appointed time each travel day, Benny would show up at the gates of Case Perrotta in his Mercedes van. We enjoyed several remarkable outings with Benny--Syracusa, Piazza Amerina, Ragusa, Riviera of the Cyclops, etc.. Know that Benny often conducts business on the phone while driving but no matter. He was hired as a driver, not a licensed tour guide, and he answered plenty of questions and offered many helpful suggestions. He was a gem!

While at the agriturismo (a former monastery serving fine Sicilian meals), the staff (wonderful people all!) mentioned another local motorist, Mario, who drives people up Etna for moderately challenging, guided hiking tours. We booked Mario by phone and were really glad we did ... what a great resource he proved to be! The entire Etna hiking experience with him was amazing. Highly recommended.

On our way back from the excursion early that afternoon, we floated another idea. With enough time in the day to do something else, would Mario take us to Taormina? A quick phone call to his wife, Rita, and the deal was done, with one caveat: Rita wanted to go along! No problem, we loved the idea and enjoyed her company despite the language barrier (we don't speak Sicilian). The day ended with the four of us enjoying a fine dinner at a good seafood restaurant outside Taormina.

We loved Mario's enthusiasm and flexibility, so we posed another question. Would Mario be available for a different outing? We weren't sure exactly where but we had been thinking of heading north of Sant' Alfio, in the direction of Castiglione di Sicilia and several hill towns in the region. Mario was very taken with this idea but had to check--again--with Rita. After a lengthy phone conversation with her, he announced, "I will plan the excursion!"

Sure enough, Mario spent that evening doing his homework and the next day we were committed to his itinerary: a "Godfather tour" to Savoca and points between. For those who don't know, Savoca is the small hill town where Sicilian wedding and village scenes in the Godfather were filmed. We hadn't planned to go there but what the heck. Mario was leading the way and we were going to follow, wherever it led!

ith our permission, this time Mario drove his cuddly 1980 Fiat 900 T Pulmino, a classic yellow van nicknamed "Catarina 1." The vehicle itself was priceless, and we couldn't believe it when Mario produced a bag of flat hats of the sort seen atop Sicilian mobster noggins in the aforementioned movie. We each got one. Perfect!

Joining us at the last minute was Arnaud, a fellow guest at Case Perrotta (Arnaud, a native of France who now lives in Barcelona, was on a celebratory birthday excursion, hiking the highest reaches of Etna and another nearby volcano ... volcano climbing being his "thing." And there was Rita, too, of course, sitting in the far back seat. Plenty of room!

It was all Catarina 1 (35 bhp!) could do to chug up some of the steep hills with five people on board but she was game and we stayed strong (despite the lack of seat belts). Thanks to Mario, his recorded music (including "Godfather" theme music, of course), and a little of his singing-on-the-go, it became one of those incredible travel experiences that cannot be adequately described.

It was more than Savoca (itself a genuinely traditional old Sicilian hill town worth seeing on its own merits) or the sometimes cheesy Godfather references. Rather, it was the unique experience of traveling free and easy in a wheezing old Italian van in the company of an enthusiastic, lovable Sicilian driver and his music, his wonderful Sicilian spouse, and a veteran volcano climber from Spain ... venturing through the beautiful hills and valleys of northeast Sicily, stopping in neat villages along the way before arriving in Savoca and all its traditional charm. Later that day, as the five of us settled in for an enjoyable meal and superb Sicilian wine, all was right with the world. Hats off to everyone, and to the excursion drivers who make these life-enhancing experiences possible!
what an amazing adventure… I am solo traveler going to be in Sicily for a month still seeking driver Trapani to Ortigia Island as well as Taormina to Malazzo Port . I’m interested in driver that maybe available to make stops enroute to destination BnB’s in Agrigento,Caltaigerone,and Ortgia Island with stops along route to valley of temples, Romana del Casale, Piazza Armerina. When in Taormina 4 nocs seeking day trips to Mt Etna, maybe a winery,Savocca, Forza’d Agro and Castemola. A contact resource for a driver or drivers that can be hired for any part of this inquiry would be greatly appreciated. Also I do not speak Italian only have google translator Italian ap. If anyone has contact for Benny Grasso or Mario that would be a very helpful start.
Sicily/Palermo arrival very soon September 25 2021. Also driver resource for very early transfer Catania historic center hotel area to airport September 22 @ 4a for 6:30a departure .
Thankyou
JoAnn