Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hire taxi or car/driver in Salisbury to Milton Abbey and back (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hire-taxi-or-car-driver-in-salisbury-to-milton-abbey-and-back-1089141/)

tomseeley Mar 8th, 2016 11:32 AM

Hire taxi or car/driver in Salisbury to Milton Abbey and back

We will be in England in July. On one night, we'd like to get to Milton Abbey to hear our daughter's choral group give a concert at the Abbey (they will be the choir in residence at the Wells Cathedral one week and they are giving this general concert also). We are reluctant to rent a car. But if we get to Salisbury, I'd like to know if it is possible--and practical--to find a private car and driver or taxi who could/would take us to Milton Abbey and then, I guess, hang around, and bring us back to our B&B later that evening.

We've found folks who'd do that in other parts of the world, but I have no idea at all if it's feasible in this case.

hetismij2 Mar 8th, 2016 11:41 AM

They probably wouldn't hang around, but would come back at an agreed time, or you could phone again and they would come out. Your B&B hosts may be able to suggest a reliable company.

janisj Mar 8th, 2016 12:01 PM

Milton Abbey is more than 30 miles from Salisbury -- easily a 45 min. to one hour drive.

If you want a place w/ rail connections from London, Dorchester is much nearer (about 10 miles from the school)

tuscanlifeedit Mar 8th, 2016 02:21 PM

A large part of my last job was hiring drivers for tourists and visitors. Salisbury is no different than many other places where you've hired drivers.

Yes, you can easily do this, but it won't be cheap.

If you are set on Salisbury, a very good place to start is with their tourist office. As suggested, your hotel or guest house might also make a good recommendation.

historytraveler Mar 8th, 2016 03:52 PM

There are a number of possibilities in Salisbury to hire a driver. We had a group of 8 this past summer and hired a company/ driver to transport us to/ from Avebury. Sorry I don't know the name as I wasn't the one who contacted them. Not necessarily cheap but not ridiculously expensive either. As always depends on one's budget. Contact the tourist information center or google taxi's, drivers for hire etc.

janisj Mar 8th, 2016 04:04 PM

Please clarify -- You posted >>But <i>if</i> we get to Salisbury . . .<<

Are you planning on Salisbury <u>because</u> you are using it as a base to get to the concert? OR - are you going to be in Salisbury anyway and are just looking for transport options?

Because if the former -- Salisbury probably not the best place to base for Milton Abbey.

bilboburgler Mar 9th, 2016 12:29 AM

You might need to know that Milton Abbey is in Milton Abbas "AB.ES" (just in case the car company does not know where it is, being so far from Salisbury).

tomseeley Mar 9th, 2016 12:34 PM

Good input everyone. Thank you all.

Combined reply---

Janisj: good question! The first goal would be the concert. But when I started reading Rick Steves on Salisbury it appeared to have other good things to see--the cathedral, Magna Carta, Stonehenge, etc. and at first glance it isn't half way around the world from the Abbey. So I haven't taken my thinking much beyond that but I will.

Others--right now what I was curious about was mostly is it feasible to look for someone to drive us btwn S and MA and you've told me it is, but it's expensive. For now, I've learned what I wanted to learn. M

Back to the books to read up on Dorchester, et al! Ain't travel planning fun!?��

janisj Mar 9th, 2016 01:22 PM

>> is it feasible to look for someone to drive us btwn S and MA and you've told me it is,<<

Actually, I didn't tell you it is. I don't think it is all that feasible. Especially for the drive back to Salisbury late at night. If you hire someone from Salisbury -- you will have to pay for TWO long round trips for the driver. There and back, and then back again to pick you up later.

Sure, there are a lot of things in/near Salisbury. But it isn't convenient to the main thing you want to do -- unless you have your own car.