Venice: Question regarding transport from airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. My husband and I are in Venice week after next and will be staying at the Hotel American Dinesen on the Dorsduro. Is seems like the best way to reach the hotel from the airport is the alilaguna, as opposed to a bus and vaporetto. If this is the case, we could book the ticket now on the Venice Connected, which could save time and fuss on arrival. Is this recommended please?
Thank you for your help.
Lisa
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 10:16 AM

The Alilaguna is fine. It's my favorite option.

You would basically be taking the airport shuttle, which stops in a few key places in the city, rather than public transportation (bus + vaporetto). It is a little more expensive, but gets you there quicker. And arriving by water in Venice is a treat in itself.

(But we just always pay on arrival, so I have no advice about Venice Connected.)
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 11:31 AM

Well it will take twice as long and cost more compared to the bus, but your call.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Okay, perhaps we need to look at the timetable. Thank you
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:28 PM

I also prefer the Alilaguna - much nicer to arrive near your destination by water, rather than by bori ng old land bus to depressing Piazzale Roma IMO! The queues at the Alilaguna office by the dock are never long (as opposed to the various transport desks inside the airport). And it won't take twice as long when you factor in 1 boat at 1-1.5 hrs v. bus at c.30 mins + vaporetto at c.30-40 mins. The orange line stops at Accademia & is the quickest at an hour, plus it will take you down quite a lot of the Grand Canal en route.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:33 PM

Sorry, I double checked & the orange line (my new one!) doesn't stop at Accademia. But even if the blue line to Zattere at 1.25-1.5 hrs is your nearest (as it always was for my holidays staying in Dorsoduro before I moved here), I'd still prefer that to land bus + crowded vaporetto. And you see quite a lot of the lagoon, Murano, San Michele etc en route.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:43 PM

From the terminal to your stop count on 2 hours in transport, including a walk to the boat dock.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 08:24 AM

Bob, I agree it can take that long using the Alilaguna blue line - but it could take almost that long to get the bus, find out where to buy/uplift vaporetto tickets & queue, find the right vaporetto stop and take the vaporetto (c.40 mins to Accademia at present). And to me the experience of getting the boat all the way is much nicer.

Another reason not to get the bus this summer - when tram works started yesterday on the Ponte della Liberta, it was taking an hour to cross it.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, we appreciate all the advice.
I think the Alilaguna sounds like the fun and memorable option for our first visit to Venice so we'll give that a go.
Lisa
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM

That's a wise decision, uklisa (for all the reasons Caroline stated). Enjoy your stay there!