Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hiking/Walking in Murren in Sept, best clothes for the weather? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hiking-walking-in-murren-in-sept-best-clothes-for-the-weather-352299/)

MGB Aug 27th, 2003 06:22 AM

Hiking/Walking in Murren in Sept, best clothes for the weather?

We will be taking easier hikes at the Jungfrau and Murren in Mid September. Temperatures right now seem to range from 60 if sun to lows of 28 at night. Which means it will probably be cooler when we go. What is good for daytime walks? I know layering is best but will turtlenecks be too much with a sweater on top of them and a jacket considering the walking?

Melnq8 Aug 27th, 2003 09:32 AM

I think you might get a bit warm. I've hiked in Switzerland in September, May, June and December.

In September it was quite warm, May and June were comfortable and December started chilly, but we ended up in short sleeves before the day was out.

I would suggest you dress in layers, but perhaps wear a short sleeved shirt, carry or wear a lightweight fleece jacket, and perhaps put a rain poncho or gortex jacket in your backpack.

You'll also want to wear sturdy shoes and carry plenty of water.

Having said that, weather can always be unpredictable, but I think you're more apt to see warm temps with possible rain that time of year.

bob_brown Aug 27th, 2003 10:13 AM

The weather is unpredictable; mountains make their own weather.
I have been there many times and conditions have ranged from hot, when hikinh in the sun going up hill, to cold, when caught in a sleet storm at 7,000 feet.

If you go to the Jungfraujoch,
the temperatures can be uncomfortably cold, particularly if the wind is blowing a 40 mph gale.

Having both sweated and shivered on the same trails in September, I suggest you be prepared for all conditions likely that time of year. No one can tell you what the exact conditions will be more than 6 hours in advance.

Stefan_Swiss Aug 29th, 2003 01:03 PM

Bob is absolutely right. Be prepared for all conditions. Bring a fleece and a wind/waterproof jacket. While walking, you might not need them. But then again you might want to rest every once in a while and enjoy the scenery. This is much more fun when you're warm... (I often didn't take enough warm clothing when going on a hike and always regretted it.) Hope you have nice weather!

MGB Aug 29th, 2003 04:55 PM

Thanks all for your comments. I tend to overly prepare at times and just wanted some perspectives. My ears are really susceptible so I usually take a headband just in case.

Thanks again Mary Ann

JoyceL Aug 30th, 2003 06:23 AM

If you plan to walk in the area outside the Jungfrau, bring boots (snow on the ground), a hat, wool scarf, and gloves.

Murren is much warmer and will probably not have any snow in mid-September. It will be enough to just dress in layers: short-sleeved shirt and sweater. Also carry a light rain jacket. You will need it if it rains while you are on a hike.