Search

Hiking Route - Triglav National Park

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiking Route - Triglav National Park

Hello,

As part of a larger backpacking trip through the Balkans, I am planning on spending 3-4 days hiking in and around Triglav National Park and was looking for some advice on trails and areas to see. First a few things that are essentially decided already:
- I'll be travelling with one other person. We're mid-20's and able to do relatively challenging trails, though not looking for anything too technical or that would require equipment apart from hiking shoes on this trip.
- Trip is in mid-August.
- We plan to stay in mountain huts when not in villages with other accommodation options.
- Our start point is Bled and we will head south to the caves (Postojna and Skocjan) following the hiking.

The tentative plan is to start by crossing the park east to west over two days, from Bled to the Soca river. We are not necessarily looking to summit Triglav. The main reason for my post is looking for advice on where to go from there. Keeping in mind that the end goal is to head south by bus/train following the hike, we are considering 2 options:

Option 1: From Soca, turn south and continue hiking over 1-2 days past Krn to Tolmin. Take a train from Most na Soci to depart.
Option 2: From Soca, follow the river west to Bovec. Do a day hike or other activity in Bovec perhaps. Take a bus out of Bovec to depart.

Does anybody have recommendations as to which of these would be more enjoyable/scenic/diverse? The Soca River and Bovec vs. Soca to Tolmin? We are open to other suggestions or guidance as well! If both options are "must see's", we could explore the possibility of hiking Soca-Bovec-Soca-Tolmin as well.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!