Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Hiking/Photographing the Black Forest
Notices

Hiking/Photographing the Black Forest

Sep 19th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Hiking/Photographing the Black Forest

Hello, Ill be in Germany's Black Forest mid October this year with a rental car. I plan on taking a road trip through some of the small town like Schiltach. I'm mostly interested in photography - does anyone have any short day hikes that they recommend? I know there are literally thousands but figured if someone has a great experience, I'd love to hear. I generally like getting off the beaten path. thanks in advance!
Sep 19th, 2017, 03:07 PM

A couple of years ago, I hiked from the town of St. Märgen to the town of St. Peter. Pictures here, if you're interested:

http://www.portlandbridges.com/00,M2...0-germany.html

This was in April, and as you can see in the pictures, I didn't have ideal weather - but at least it wasn't raining! Some of those views would have been lovely on a nice day.

I wouldn't call this off the beaten path exactly; I got the hike info from my Rick Steves book, and I take it this is a well-known trail. I did it by train and bus, so I didn't have to backtrack to pick up a car.
Sep 20th, 2017, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Andrew! you can always get great photos in whatever weather. I actually would prefer overcast weather to avoid harsh shadows / darken the forests. Fog would be icing on the cake. LOVE this:
M25D0IMG19237 - Image 13 of 42

That's what I'm talking about! Thick coniferous-lined paths. Ill look into this hike - thanks again
Sep 20th, 2017, 01:47 PM

Not deep in the Black Forest, but there is a goldola in Freiburg im Breisgau that takes visitors to the Schauinsland area well into the hills. I found the scenery to be panoramic and really beautiful on a hike from the gondola station along a route that included the Schiederlihof, a preserved old farmhouse from the 1500s or so that was available for touring.

Search this Thread