Hiking on Amalfi Coast?

Jan 24th, 2001, 07:30 PM
Lisa

Hiking on Amalfi Coast?

Hello. I am trying to decide whether to go to the Amalfi Coast or the Italian Riviera. I am leaning towards the Amalfi Coast, but I am wondering if anyone knows if there is any good hiking in that area? Thank you!

Jan 25th, 2001, 06:11 AM
karenj

Lisa,
I did not hear of any organized hiking trails there but you will get plenty of walking in between towns and through towns. In deciding between the two I would consider a couple of things. How will you get around the Amalfi Coast? There aren't trains town to town the way there is in the Italian riviera. So you will either have to drive (scary) rent scooters, take a bus or taxi. There also aren't any beaches to speak of along the Amalfi Coast if that interests you.

Amalfi, Positano etc had many more shopping opportunities and wonderful pottery if you are into having things to take back from your vacation. Both are very beautiful so I am sure you will enjoy either.

Jan 25th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Lisa

Thanks Karen.

I had heard that there were a few beaches along the Amalfi Coast. . . I have the names someplace but can't think of them now.

Also, I am bit frustrated about this issue of getting around the Amalfi Coast. People seem so divided on it. Some say the driving is scary and others say it is not a probelm. I am from San Francisco and have driven California's highway 1, so if it is like those places I don't have a probelm. Also, I don't mind driving a scooter or taking a bus. Do the buses run frequently? Thanks again.

Jan 25th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Marcos Velez

I have never seen US roads quite like the ones in Amalfi. The driving is definitely not for the faint of heart. If you had the road all to yourself, youcould easily drive it, slowly and enjoying the views, but the reality is that all the locals drive tremendously fast through those roads.

As for the buses, they do run quite frequently in either direction. We also walked quite a bit from one town to the next, and that was a LOT OF FUN.

I have never heard of anyone going hiking in Amalfi, but if can consider long walks along a road part of the "hiking" definition, then you can do a lot of that. Alternatively, you can go to Capri and walk around the island. I did it, and it was definitely a LONG trek (full of great views, so I didnt mind too much the unexpected exercise...)

Jan 25th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Lisa

Thanks so much for your help Marcos!

Jan 25th, 2001, 05:52 PM
spqr

Hi Lisa,
You should check out the Lonely Planet book Walking in Italy. It lists several hikes on the Amalfi coast. I haven't tried them, but from the pictures in the book it looks like the views are spectacular.

Jan 25th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Karen

Lisa,
The roads there are not at all like highway 1, not to mention, it is not just the driving but finding parking didn't appear to be easy either. You may want to get more info on the beaches,or maybe someone else can comment but they may just be smaller rocky beaches. Monterosso in Cinque Terre has a nice beach, if you decide to go that way. Let me know if you have more questions.

Jan 26th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Lisa

Thanks so much everyone and keep it coming! I don't know how I ever planned a trip without this site!

Jan 26th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Carey

Lisa,

There are deffinately more trails in Cinque Terre than Amalfi. But there are trail in Amalfi. You need by a special map when you get in the area. I saw some trails leading up into the hills........a hellish hike, but I am sure worth it!