Hiking Italy with GPS

Search

Hiking Italy with GPS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiking Italy with GPS

We're going to hike from Pisa to Ravenna in October and I have all our maps BUT after looking at our 1:25,000 maps of the Appenines I thought that perhaps a hand-held GPS may be a very good idea. I've looked online at the Triton 300 and another one but we have questions and no one to ask!

Scenario: We're on a sentieri in the middle of nowhere. We've got a signal but does the screen zoom out and zoom in?

How can we tell where we are? Anyone have any first-hand knowledge of this? Feel free to email me at [email protected]!

Any and all answers gratefully accepted! Total fumbling humility here.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 02:15 AM

I'm not sure this will be completely useful to you, but be aware that for a trip like this you will need dedicated topographic software for Italy and that might be awkward to obtain.

I'm not familiar with Magellan equipment although the Triton 300 looks reasonable from a first glance.

I've got a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx which does all I need. I used it a couple of weeks ago in Austria using software that I had bought specifically for the trip. I also have detailed software for Europe and the UK (where I live), but all this and the handset has cost me in the order of GBP500 and I don't intend to expand my mapping collection anytime soon.

If you are at the fumbling humility stage I suggest that you look through some of the many bulletin boards used by experts and enthusiasts on the subject of GPS. Google will be your friend.

If you have complete map coverage at 1:25000 that should OK as long as you have a compass. A GPS is very useful for giving accurate bearings and distances covered etc.

Enjoy the holiday.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

We have a couple of 1:25000 maps (incl.Firenze and just northeast into the Appenines), a couple or 3 of 1:50000, one 1:100000 and 2 1:150000 - all of this was painful to acquire! Scarcer than hen's teeth I tell you.

Oh, we can't wait to get back to the UK for walking but 3 years ago when we first "heard" about 'walking' (unheard of in the U.S. the way that you do so in the UK anyway), we said that we would walk across Italy.

So now we are. The GPS was only a thought and if it's that darned difficult to get it booted up for Italy then to heck with it.

I did google and also found the Triton 300 but would need a few more facts before I spend the money obviously. We've always used a compass (well on "all" two long-distance walks we've been on) and it has been a lifesaver.

The ordnance maps from the UK are incomparable to say the least - oh for the same thing for Italy! We did 160 miles last year in Burgundy and had pretty good 1:25000 maps but they wouldn't compare with the UK ordnance ones. We walked from Fontainebleau to Dijon and enjoyed it but not nearly so much as 06's Cotswold Way - our first long-distance. What a joy that was and what a perfect introduction to the true British Walk.

[sigh] Ah to be in England...

Still, we're going to do this if it kills us! Pisa to Ravenna.

Any other warnings or info?
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 01:02 AM

A couple more thoughts: you will probably be able to buy good maps when you reach Italy which are not on general sale abroad due to limited and specialized demand. That is certainly true of Austria. Also if you are on official and old paths, which is what I understand by 'sentieri', then they should be clear and well-marked. That is certainly the case elsewhere in Europe, so no problem.

There is well-known and old dealer in the UK, Stanfords, who have an extraordinary range of maps. 'Italy' gave 360+ hits. Look at http://www.stanfords.co.uk/go/italy/. Maybe they can ship to you if the US (I presume) does not have an equivalent.

Walking is a popular activity in the UK because we have such an extensive network of footpaths, some of which are 1000+ years old, and use of these carries legal rights. It tends to be known as hiking elsewhere but our continental cousins do it just as well, with tracks very well-marked.

I think you'll be fine if you've done a bit before. It's a good way of meeting locals too, better than the usual tourist thing.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 02:46 AM

It's Saturday morning and it's raining so I've had a look myself. Try http://www.stanfords.co.uk/go/italy/...ports-outdoor/.

Are these the maps you've got already?

Incidentally the reason why the UK is so well-covered mapwise is because a couple of hundred years ago the country was surveyed in detail for the Army so that they could fire artillery all over the place more accurately. Hence 'Ordnance' Survey. It's developed from that.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

The 1:25,000 maps that I have are from themapshop.co.uk and my 1:150000 maps (all I could get at the time) are from trektools.com. So the link you've given me is a new one to try and I thank you SO much for it!!

Our first "long walk" was the Cotswold way in September 06 (105 miles), the second was Burgundy in October 07 (around 150 miles) from Fontainbleau to Dijon and now we'll do this Pisa-Ravenna walk (around 130 miles) and leave Oct. 5. This type of walking/hiking is almost unheard of here in the U.S. where people are always saying to us: "Don't you want to see your OWN COUNTRY FIRST???" And I always reply "Scenery is not the reason we travel - I want to see different people than Americans, different culture, different money, different food..." blah blah blah.

They can have the Grand Canyon - after you look at it, where do you eat??? LOL. True, the food in the UK may not be the food that we have in France or Italy but the surroundings and the people more than make up for the lack of culinary talent! And we've had some good meals in the UK nevertheless.

Well, I've got to go get my clothes ready for the morrow and work work work so I'll nip upstairs but not before I try that map link.

Thanks again,

Liz in Massachusetts in our very cozy log cabin.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:25 AM

I think you should make contact with relevant Italian bodies. The Appenines are serious mountains and in early October there should not be snow but I don't think anyone would compare it to the Cotswold Way. Distance is not just linear you need to factor in the ups and downs.ie the contours in your calculations. A working mobile phone would be an essential.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 07:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We did a bike ride in this area last year with a blackberry equiped with GPS. This allowed us ot overlay the roads and paths with satalite photos. Hence where a path stopped we could still see the way.

There is a concept called the white roads (I guess route blance....) might be worth some googling.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
stupido must be "via blanca"
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 09:48 AM

We tried - admittedly with little prior research and especially infuriatingly, no research in Britain - to walk some strade bianche last week.

Absolute bloody nightmare. The local Ente Turistico (this was in Umbria) denied there were any maps, and the local bookshops didn't sell maps at all. A few out of the way tourist offices had notices up on their (closed) doors saying they advised on sentieri rustiche (?rustichi??), but gave no way of tapping into this alleged advice.

We found a few footpath maps and guides at - of all odd places - monastery bookshops, where there's deep interest in promoting some alleged former pilgrim routes. We stumbled over a couple of footpaths (actually strade verdi rather than bianche). Waymarking was just bloody awful: our landlady - most emphatically no wimp - warned us in no uncertain terms about snakes and wild boar, and our French vet was horrified we'd exposed the flannerpooch to the tick risks. And we saw no-one else with any interest in walking at all. We've now resolved to do a short organised walk with ATG Oxford to at least get the hang of serious walking in Italy before trying to freelance it.

I'm sorry this isn't helpful. But I really, really, really wouldn't freelance the Appennines in October. If you manage it, PLEASE tell us how you did it.

All very different from the odd tussle with a bull surrounded by his harem standing across a well-mapped, if indiffrently signposted, 1,000 year old Cotswold footpath.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Flanner! Oh my word, a voice from the past! Actually the whole reason we did the Cotswold Way (and last year Burgundy) was to get ready for Italy and the Appenines. Not that either of those could get us ready for the Ap's but it was better than nothing. Don't think for a moment that we're out to kill our 50+years bodies. Not! If it gets to be too much, we'll either hitch (as we did last year and always do) or catch a bus or a train as soon as we find one.

We'll try to keep on the white roads and the Mulattiera and the Sentieri but will also walk the 302 when we really need to. If we perish, we perish. (Esther)

We've ditched the idea of a GPS for various reasons and will just go with the mappa we have and enjoy what we can. I've got some gorgeous Agriturismos stashed in my pc file, let me tell you. I do appreciate the warnings of the wild boar and the snakes but if we wanted to be extremely careful and forgo any adventure whatsoever, we'd just stay home.

Not! Forward march!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

By the way, we do have an excellent european mobile that we bought in Paris last year. We'll zip it up with a SIM card in Pisa and also check out the map shops there to start off the walk. That, along with our 1:25,000 maps that we have that cover from Montelupo to Palazzuolo and Marradi and the 1:100,000 from San Martino in Gattara and into Ravenna - should at least get us there. If things get sticky, as I said, we might take the train from Marradi into Brisighella where the hills begin to soften and there's an abundant number of lovely lodgings.

Should be mildly interesting reading in November if we do indeed walk the whole way from Marina di Pisa to Ravenna or of course you might hear of two "older" American hikers going home to be with the Lord.

The way I see it, either way we win.