Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hiking in the Engadine Valley (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hiking-in-the-engadine-valley-872577/)

danen5 Jan 8th, 2011 04:09 PM

Hiking in the Engadine Valley

We are a family of 8 adults and a 1 year old. Our trip is shaping up, but I sure could use some fodorite help! Presently, we are planning:
Day 1 - Guarda at Hotel Meisser - hike between Flan and Ardez
Day 2 - 5 -drive to Celerina and stay at Chesa Rosatsch -
I would love some info on the town of Celerina - is it charming with streets to wander about if hiking has some of our group done in? and --what are some thoughts on the Rosatsch?
I would also appreciate tips of special hikes and possible summit options in the area.
We want to take the Bernina express one day to Poschiavo --it is possible to get off there for lunch and catch another train back? Is it possible to do the BE and Diavolezza in the same day?
The last hike I was interested in was in the Fex Valley where you hike up and return by horse carriage. Where can I find out more specifics about this?
thanks--I need a lot of fine tuning and am anxious to read input on this adventure of ours!

danen5 Jan 8th, 2011 04:57 PM

Hello again --before anyone replies I want to also ask if we should check out of our Celerina hotel on night 5 and go to the Coaz hut for an overnight? Is this too much if we are carrying a 1 year old in a back pack? Thanks so much - as you can see - - I really need some help with this.

bobthenavigator Jan 8th, 2011 05:53 PM

Here are some pics from Guarda you may enjoy. We liked the hotel.
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...at=4441&page=2

danen5 Jan 8th, 2011 07:08 PM

Hi Bob---It is because of your insight that we hiked in the Dolomites, and like you, -stayed at the Grones Hotel (fabulous). I really enjoyed your Guarda pictures. Thanks. I would really appreciate your opinion of our Engadine Trek, and any suggestions regarding it. We have not booked anything yet. ! thanks.

Ingo Jan 9th, 2011 01:32 AM

IMO the hike Ftan - Ardez is not as scenic as the hike Guarda - Ardez (both are really short hikes, rather walks).

Chesa Rosatsch is a small, charming hotel. Very good choice. Excellent food there, too. Celerina is a small town (village), yes, there are some streets to wander but not many. It's just a quick hop over to Samedan, Pontresina or St. Moritz by bus or train to find more shops, restaurants, sights (churches, museums), though, so it makes an excellent base.

As for hikes ... this was almost beaten to death on Fodor's. Anyway, some quick ideas: Muottas Muragl to Alp Languard (either direct or more challenging via Segantini hut); for an easy summit Piz Languard (chair lift to Alp Languard); for a more challenging summit Piz Ot (gondola from Celerina to Marguns, eventually chair lift up to Trais Fluors, depending on operation times/when you're there); variety of options from Murtel (cable car from Silvaplana-Surlej) via Fuorcla Surlej to Roseg hotel (direct, medium detour, via Coaz hut).

It's easy to take a regional train or the Bernina Express to Poschiavo, explore the town, have lunch and take another train back - they're running hourly. A stop at Diavolezza is doable, but I'd recommend an early start in this case and to do that in the morning because the light is better then. It's a short walk from your hotel to the train station Celerina Staz where you can catch the regional train to Bernina Diavolezza. Dep. 8.48, Arr. 9.17 am. The cable car would take off 9.30 (easily doable). You could catch the train 10.28 which arrives Poschiavo 11.35 am. If you want more time at Diavolezza you can also take the next train 11.23 which arrives Poschiavo 12.27 pm. Please note the Bernina Express doesn't stop at Bernina-Diavolezza, you must take a regional train.

As for the Fex Valley hike - From Sils take the cable car up to Furtschellas, from there hike via Marmore to Hotel Fex in the Fex Valley. Or, more challenging and longer, hike the upper path via Lej (lake) Sgrischus and Piz Chüern to Hotel Fex. You catch the horse-drawn carriages at Hotel Fex. Usually it is not necessary to make a reservation, but of course you should do that if you want to be 100% sure. Do that at the tourist info in Sils or through your hotel or check this website (German): www.coretti.ch

Why the Coaz hut? It is really a long (but beautiful) hike from Pontresina (you can take the horse-drawn carriage to Hotel Roseg, though) and the last section is steep uphill. An option is to take the cable car from Silvaplana-Surlej to Murtel, hike from there via Fuorcla Surlej to Coaz hut. Then hike down to Pontresina the next day. Long, but not as exhausting (not much elevation difference).

I would not worry that much about the hike but about the altitude (I personally can't sleep well at this altitude, it's 9,000 ft, how does a one-year old sleep there?). Also, I would definitely make sure to get a room with only a few beds - you wouldn't want to end up in a bedroom with 20 others, right?

As an alternative I'd suggest Muottas Muragl or Hotel Fex.

Ingo

bobthenavigator Jan 9th, 2011 05:35 AM

I really am not a hiker and can offer little more about the Engadine than Ingo has given you. We did enjoy the Castle Tarasp.