I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 YAHOO @ Password Reset Contact 1:888:260:2909 YAHOO Tec*h care24/7
- 2 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 3 Paris Apartment
- 4 GTG Paris December 2017
- 5 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 6 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 7 Ireland, public trans and my bicycle.
- 8 Visit to France
- 9 Barcelona to Malaga
- 10 How to go up Schafberg Mountain when railway is closed
- 11 Trains - website?
- 12 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 13 Which Area in London?
- 14 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 15 First time in Spain
- 16 Best Restaurant Birmingham
- 17 family trip to Germany and more
- 18 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 19 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 20 Packing Champagne
- 21 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 22 Milan airport--which one
- 23 two days in Nice
- 24 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 25 St, Goar or Bacharach