Reload this Page >

Hiking in Switzerland

Search

Hiking in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Amy

Hiking in Switzerland

We may be in Switzerland in late July. We'd like to do some day hikes in the Alps. Any recommendations for favorite hikes? Or for good sources of information on hiking there? We need to be in Zurich for an event, but would probably go to the Interlaken area to hike. Thank you very much.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Ed

Hiking is excellent in the area south of Interlaken (the Jungfrau region.) 500+ km of well-marked trails ranging in difficulty from easy to moderately difficult, or more. So many wonderfully scenic. Easy up and down to elevated trails via many cables/narrow-gauge trains. A small selection of some of our favorites at www.twenj.com/swisswalk.htm <BR> <BR>As well Zuerich has at least one quite enjoyable, if quite easy, 'stroll' in the hills starting from Uetliberg, just 23 minutes by (slow) train from the Hauptbahnhof. Good scenic outlook at 2,500 feet, and several options of up to one or two hours down to Felsenegg. Can do a roundtrip take a short cable car ride down to Adliswil and return to the city by train. Depending on your schedule in Zuerich might be something to do early morning or late afternoon. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 08:59 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Amy. I have stomped over the hills in the Berner Oberland south of Interlaken for a total of 4 weeks, plus more stomping around Zermatt, Saas Fee, and Zinal. <BR>For a quick intro to those beautiful mountains, why don't you email me directly and we can discuss it in depth, if you wish. <BR> <BR>For openers, let me suggest that you get a book by a real authority on hiking in the Berner Oberland -- namely the book by Kev Reynolds. The title is "The Bernese Alps Switzerland, A Walking Guide." I am fairly sure you can get a copy at The Adventurous Traveler Bookstore, which is on the web and has a toll free number, 800-282-3963,. Kev also has a book on The Valais, which is great for the hills around Zermatt and both sides of the Rhone River. <BR>You can also get some topographic maps of the Berner Oberland, too, from the Adventurous Traveler. I have one that I use to see where I am going and what I am looking at. (I take along my maps and compass so I can label my photographs correctly.) <BR> <BR>I am not sure what kind of hiking you are talking about, but there are some real lung busters and blister makers in those mountains, ones that tax the ill conditioned to the breaking point. <BR>On the other hand, there are some easier ones that give beautiful views. I have done a couple of the lung busters, and love to tell about it. <BR> <BR>Given the number of mountain hotels, you can make overnighters. Some people don't like the communal sleeping in the straw bit at the mountain huts. So you might want to get some of the literature from the tourist offices in Lauterbrunnen and Murren and start now making hotel reservations if you want an overnighter or two. I know there are a couple of nice hotels up the trail from Stechelberg which would make a great base for exploring the cliffs and lakes at the foot of the Jungfrau. <BR>And then there is the hotel at the top of the Grimsel Pass from where you can launch a few expeditions to the land of ice and snow. That one is reached by car. And there is the Hotel Schwarenbach on the trail to the Daubensee from Kandersteg, the scene of melting students from the JFK school in Geneva. (It was pouring rain and these teen aged girls were bitching in most unlady like tones as I came by. I told them they were not so sweet that they would melt in the rain. Fortunately my Gore Tex jacket repelled the daggers.) <BR>Happy Trails.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 11:50 AM
dan woodlief

In regards to the Berner Oberland, the hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is less than an hour and is gradually downhill. It provides incredible views of the Jungfrau and surrounding mountains if the weather is clear. Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen is another scenic walk overlooking the Lauterbrunnen Valley and takes somewhere around two hours. A walk in the Lauterbrunnen Valley is nice for a lower-altitude change of pace. The valley is truly beautiful. You could walk from Lauterbrunnen to the cable car up to Gimmelwald and then walk up to Murren. This is a very charming and scenic area. Because of the weather we never got to any of the walks around First, which are first-rate, so to speak. I think Bob can fill you in on those.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 05:38 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Amy <BR>Here are a few walks in the Grindelwald <BR>area.. <BR>Schynige Platte-Faulhorn-Grindelwalk First. 5.5 hrs. <BR>Breitlauenen-Schnynige Platte 1.5 hrs <BR>Allmendhubel-Marchegg-Saustal-Grutschalp <BR>3.3. hrs <BR>First, Bachsee,Waldspitz, Bort, Grindelwald 3.5 hrs <BR>Bort-Bussalp-Grindelwald 3.5 hrs <BR>plus others, check into www.grindelwald first.ch <BR>OIne uphill would be Grindelwald First <BR>to Schwarzhorn at 2929 m hi. <BR>Can not personally think of a better hiking area than the Berneroberland. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il.. <BR>

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 09:18 PM
Christine

Amy and Richard (message above) there are many many wonderful places to hike in Switzerland, Be adventerous and get away from the crowds around the Jungfrau Region. I live near Luzern and the very best view I've ever had on a hike is in the Engelbergertal area. If you would like some alternate areas to hike feel free to email me.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Paige

The coolest hike we did was from Muerren to Gimmelwald, up to Rotstockhutte then back around to Muerren via the higher altitude route (sorry, I don't remember the details). It took most of the day but the views were phenomenal and we only saw a few other people all day, and that was in August.